The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2019 Leas Plus S: exactly one year tomorrow, 13,006 miles total ((one and one/twelfth thousand miles each month average), no issues whatsoever and with 2 exceptions no range anxiety. (both times we got anxious temperature was in the single digits, snowing, studded snow tires and the car simply does not go any where near as far on a charge. Get used to it. Otherwise, we drive around all the time and charge only as needed...). Maybe 20 QCs total, maybe 20 Level 2 charges, otherwise all Level 1 at the garage using a manual timer to keep the charge under 80 percent or so. Seems to avargae around 4.3 M/KWh summer 3.7 winter, dirt roads and funky driveways are a lot of the miles. After the warranty is out we will look at the lift option.....

dmacarthur said:
2019 Leas Plus S: exactly one year tomorrow, 13,006 miles total ((one and one/twelfth thousand miles each month average), no issues whatsoever and with 2 exceptions no range anxiety. (both times we got anxious temperature was in the single digits, snowing, studded snow tires and the car simply does not go any where near as far on a charge. Get used to it. Otherwise, we drive around all the time and charge only as needed...). Maybe 20 QCs total, maybe 20 Level 2 charges, otherwise all Level 1 at the garage using a manual timer to keep the charge under 80 percent or so. Seems to avargae around 4.3 M/KWh summer 3.7 winter, dirt roads and funky driveways are a lot of the miles. After the warranty is out we will look at the lift option.....

Based on your annual mileage, I would set an SOC target of no more than 60% in Summer. Winter is up to you as the variances are too great to suggest something that covers both needs and comfort level. The "80%" ideology was, is and always will be a marketing mistake on Nissan's part. They should have offered multiple options from day one but as we enter decade #2, they still haven't pulled their head out. Apparently obliterating the lingering legacy of Ghosn is more important right now.

Thanks Dave, in real life the battery seldom gets to 80% because even 50% gets us around for days..... 80 is a sort of max unless travelling. It will remain to be seen how these batteries hold up, not yet enough hard info that I can see.....

dmacarthur said:
Thanks Dave, in real life the battery seldom gets to 80% because even 50% gets us around for days..... 80 is a sort of max unless travelling. It will remain to be seen how these batteries hold up, not yet enough hard info that I can see.....

Right now my SOC rarely hits 50% either. Even with half a pack, I have more than enough. When I do charge its generally for 90 mins to 3 hours. A lot more 90 minute sessions than anything else.

I have been charging the cars to mid 70s once it hits mid 30s SOC. I know that is a bit higher than perfect, but there is something comforting about having around 200 miles (bit less in SV and a bit more in the S) on tap.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have been charging the cars to mid 70s once it hits mid 30s SOC. I know that is a bit higher than perfect, but there is something comforting about having around 200 miles (bit less in SV and a bit more in the S) on tap.

Averaging 500 miles a month? What was your longest trip in September? Then again, we have the guy with the 40 kwh who charges to 100% or near it I guess twice a day several times a week. He was at 105,000 miles and 89% SOH several months ago. Have you seen any more recent updates from him?

In pre-covid days, on our gen 1 leaf, we did a very consistent 500 a month. With the Leaf Plus (SV), we were doing more monthly as I was taking some mid distance road trips (500-800 miles over a day or two) with the kids and pretty much stopped driving the van (as the 200 mile Milwaukee round trip now could be done fully ev).

Now in covid (and with the S+) we are driving generally less, but I have done a handful of 200-250 mile trips, generally on a single full charge. Even with those trips, in 3 1/2 months we have only 2300 miles on the S and averaging only about 400-450 miles a month on the SV. No commuting since late Feb.

5,303 miles

svEQdxdl.png

DougWantsALeaf said:
In pre-covid days, on our gen 1 leaf, we did a very consistent 500 a month. With the Leaf Plus (SV), we were doing more monthly as I was taking some mid distance road trips (500-800 miles over a day or two) with the kids and pretty much stopped driving the van (as the 200 mile Milwaukee round trip now could be done fully ev).

Now in covid (and with the S+) we are driving generally less, but I have done a handful of 200-250 mile trips, generally on a single full charge. Even with those trips, in 3 1/2 months we have only 2300 miles on the S and averaging only about 400-450 miles a month on the SV. No commuting since late Feb.

Winter time means less driving for me as hiking trips, etc. drops to near zero. Simply not into hiking when wet although we generally get some relatively dry spells that occasionally aligns with time off but with school going, the opportunities drop to every Saturday and every other Friday. Tough window to hit.

Finally got a clean 0-60 on my S Plus. 6.6, not to bad. Much faster than my 85 Trans Am (9 seconds).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LfN1BkIzd6r1oQdH-sYsxhpFh1DA-SE7/view?usp=drivesdk

webeleafowners said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Finally got a clean 0-60 on my S Plus. 6.6, not to bad. Much faster than my 85 Trans Am (9 seconds).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LfN1BkIzd6r1oQdH-sYsxhpFh1DA-SE7/view?usp=drivesdk

That is a full second faster than I thought. Pretty quick.

Interesting. How is the timing done? Is this at a track or an app? To be clear; I agree with the times. The "official" times I have seen in print are too low. My S Plus is scary fast off the line.

The app is "drag racer". I pulled onto the shoulder on the highway in a flat section,waited for a break, eco off, and gunned it. I was hoping for 6.9, did not expect 6.6.

I want to try again on a warmer day and higher SOC.

I once timed (crudely) zero to 100, don't remember the number but even that was pretty quick! I think they say that the Leaf Plus tops out at 104 or thereabouts.....

I have no where to try 0-100, though reminds me when I was trying to test the top end of my 75 Camaro small block 350 in College. Somewhere up around 130 I lost the nerve (car was shaking bad) to let it go any further.

Back