Has anyone updated 2G to 3G telematics unit yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lon12

I received the notice from Nissan about the pending Rogers 2G shutdown next year. Went to my dealer today and was quoted $2100 for the new telematics unit not including labour.
Why is it US owners are only having to pay $199 co-pay amount and we are getting no help?

The $199 US price was also allegedly subsidized. The Nisan corporate marketing guy (Brian) who hosted an EVent made it sound like Nissan was doing as a favor for offering it for $199, as in, they were trying to do the right thing for older Leaf drivers. I was there when he talked about it.

It is possible that Nissan was losing $ on each $199 USD TCU upgrade based upon engineering work + tooling costs and other overhead given the limited audience and quantities sold.

That said, $2100 CAD is insane and if I were in the OP's shoes, I definitely wouldn't bother with that.

OP is likely in Canada as Rogers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Wireless) is a Canadian carrier. I recall roaming onto them before. I think went I entered Canada w/a US phone, once I got past a certain point into Canada driving north from WA, I got an automated SMS "Welcome to Rogers..."w/insane rates per megabyte and minute. Was along the lines of $10 to $15 per megabyte to roam.

From a technical perspective, if it's a US LEAF that was imported into Canada, then you could take advantage of the co-pay by getting a WA dealership to do the work.

The problem though is that Nissan Canada won't activate your LEAF on the Canadian site. So, it's a non-starter and will only lead to frustration...

I assume they don't have an LTE (4G) telematics unit yet? I read one article that says all three major Canadian networks (Roger's, Bell and Telus) "anticipate" a 3G-HSPA+ network sunset at the end of 2025. It seems to be even earlier for most providers in the USA (2019 for Verizon, 2021 for AT&T, 2022 for Sprint and no date yet for T-Mobile).

roger1818 said:
I assume they don't have an LTE (4G) telematics unit yet? I read one article that says all three major Canadian networks (Roger's, Bell and Telus) "anticipate" a 3G-HSPA+ network sunset at the end of 2025. It seems to be even earlier for most providers in the USA (2019 for Verizon, 2021 for AT&T, 2022 for Sprint and no date yet for T-Mobile).
https://www.engadget.com/att-customers-need-new-phones-now-205749363.html
https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171 says
What to know about 3G going away
To bring you faster speeds and new features, we have to evolve America’s best 1 and also fastest 2 network. One change we’re making is phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. Once we do, 3G devices and 4G wireless devices that don’t support HD Voice will no longer work on our network.

Back