GCR: Report: California will need massive grid upgrades for 2035 electric-car push

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole country needs massive grid updates. Equipment is outdated and we need the ability to transport renewable energy across long distances to balance supply, demand and storage.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/gadfly/california-blackouts-climate-change-is-outpacing-the-power-grid

The only upgrade we need is to put solat panels on people's homes . Literally 0 transmission losses, eliminating most if not all the transmission upgrades.

"Climate change" blamed for rolling blackouts.
https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/wildfires/2020/08/19/california-power-outages-rolling-blackouts-why-they-happening-again/5612003002/

Lol seems like this is only ever a problem in California as if they are the only state that gets climate change.

Oilpan4 said:
"Climate change" blamed for rolling blackouts.
https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/wildfires/2020/08/19/california-power-outages-rolling-blackouts-why-they-happening-again/5612003002/

Lol seems like this is only ever a problem in California as if they are the only state that gets climate change.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/climate-change-risk-may-be-spurring-home-buyers-to-steer-clear-of-coastal-florida-markets-study-says/ar-BB19YjAQ

People who live on the coastline are asking for it. What I don't get is how hurricanes hitting the coast is news.
I used to live less than 300 yards from the Atlantic Ocean. I moved.

Oilpan4 said:
People who live on the coastline are asking for it. What I don't get is how hurricanes hitting the coast is news.
I used to live less than 300 yards from the Atlantic Ocean. I moved.
Hurricanes are getting more powerful. And the ocean level is rising.

Did you miss that point? The ocean level is rising.

Watch out for the PIG.

Being somewhat center -ish in politics, my take on this is that the Left tends to blame too many things on climate change, and the right refuses to blame anything or even admit that its well established science.

One of the past seasons of Cosmos had Neil lay it out quite well. To me it is much like those who refuse to believe the Earth is older than half a million years (or whatever biblical number they have come up with)

Personally I think one of the biggest mistakes democrats have made the last two decades is focusing only on global warming, when almost every product that produces CO2 also produces irritants and toxins that the average american could understand better. There is a cornucopia of evil chemicals that come out of tail pipes and coal fired plants.

In regards to CA fires, climate change is probably making it worse, but one of the biggest problems is the spread of the urban interface into our forests, and especially the fact we put out every fire for the last century. We created fuel load nightmares. Putting out fires was a HUGE mistake. And now we are going to pay for it. In regards to power outages, I understood it was in large part preventative so that during high winds SCE and PG&E didn't create more fires. And those are private companies, right? So much for deregulation.

Just my 2 cents.

Obama and algore both bought multi million dollar beach front mansions so they must not be that worried about sea level rise and more powerful hurricanes.

danrjones said:
Being somewhat center -ish in politics, my take on this is that the Left tends to blame too many things on climate change, and the right refuses to blame anything or even admit that its well established science.

One of the past seasons of Cosmos had Neil lay it out quite well. To me it is much like those who refuse to believe the Earth is older than half a million years (or whatever biblical number they have come up with)

Personally I think one of the biggest mistakes democrats have made the last two decades is focusing only on global warming, when almost every product that produces CO2 also produces irritants and toxins that the average american could understand better. There is a cornucopia of evil chemicals that come out of tail pipes and coal fired plants.

In regards to CA fires, climate change is probably making it worse, but one of the biggest problems is the spread of the urban interface into our forests, and especially the fact we put out every fire for the last century. We created fuel load nightmares. Putting out fires was a HUGE mistake. And now we are going to pay for it. In regards to power outages, I understood it was in large part preventative so that during high winds SCE and PG&E didn't create more fires. And those are private companies, right? So much for deregulation.

Just my 2 cents.

I'll drink to that. My wife like to watch the home renovation shows and all too often the homes in California have woods and brush right up to the back door or side of the house.
The largest expansion of coal fired power plants came under Clinton in the 1990s because "coal was the safe alternative to nuclear".

Oilpan4 said:
Obama and algore both bought multi million dollar beach front mansions so they must not be that worried about sea level rise and more powerful hurricanes.

When you don't have a reply, attack someone.

Keep your eye on the PIG.

WetEV said:
Oilpan4 said:

When you don't have a reply, attack someone.

Was I supposed to attack hurricanes or rising sea levels?
Hurricanes are so dumb they blow down and flood the people who preform obligatory virtue signal for climate change 7 times a day, just the same as they do everyone else.

But it does make you wonder why the people who seemed so worried about sea level rise live on the beach...

Oilpan4 said:
The largest expansion of coal fired power plants came under Clinton in the 1990s because "coal was the safe alternative to nuclear".

Yes, and people used to think Lead was safe. We learn and adapt, or we die. I'm sure we are yet to learn many other things that we currently do are stupid. Hopefully we learn before its too late.

I'm starting on a DIY project this weekend to add a second solar system to my house, My city approved my permit and I have all the materials. I had an old 3.15 kW system and am adding another 6 kW.

I got 10kw.
Might add a few more east facing.
If you look at the numbers of people killed by power generation hydroelectric and coal appears to be the most dangerous by far.
Nuclear the safest.

danrjones said:
...Personally I think one of the biggest mistakes democrats have made the last two decades is focusing only on global warming, when almost every product that produces CO2 also produces irritants and toxins that the average american could understand better. ...

What they understand even better is prosperity but the Dems imho drop the ball by not laying out the case that the push to renewable energy is an absolute necessity for maintaining prosperity long-term. Finding new ways to extract more difficult fossil-fuels buys some time (at the expense of a healthy environment), but if we don't USE that time to prepare for a sustainable future, it's just an illusory sugar-high. We need both energy AND a viable planet to live on. We need to push for it not just because "it's nice and green", but because our prosperity and our childrens' prosperity depend on it.

Maybe it just boils down to one's "concern horizon". Just being concerned with what happens locally before you die brings different conclusions than being concerned about the rest of the world or the next few generations. In my view, the GOP has gone from being the party of "personal responsibility" to the party of "Me Me ME", as best illustrated by their standard-bearer.

I agree. I think they should have gone after stuff that everyone agrees hands down is pollution.

Oilpan4 said:
But it does make you wonder why the people who seemed so worried about sea level rise live on the beach...
Oh?
Suppose you have a house at 3 meters above highest high tide. You don't own it, you lease it. The ocean owns it. How long do you have?

Best case? Worst case?

A 99 year lease isn't much different from ownership. 30 years only a little different. Get the best opinion you can, and price the offer on that basis.

GCC:
California agencies release report charting path to 100% clean electricity; need to triple grid capacity by 2045

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/03/20210316-cali.html

. . . Highlights from the report include the following:

To reach the 2045 target while electrifying other sectors to meet the state’s economy-wide climate goals, California will need to roughly triple its current electricity grid capacity.

California will need to sustain its expansion of clean electricity generation capacity at a record-breaking rate for the next 25 years. On average, the state may need to build up to 6 gigawatts (GW) of new renewable and storage resources annually. By comparison over the last decade, the state has built on average 1 GW of utility solar and 300 megawatts (MW) of wind per year. Over the next three years, electricity providers regulated by the CPUC will add another 8 GW of clean energy resources.

Modeling of the core scenario for achieving 100% clean electricity showed a 6% increase in total annual electricity system costs by 2045, compared to the estimated cost of achieving 60% renewable electricity by 2030.

Advancements in emerging technologies, increased demand flexibility and cost declines in existing technologies may decrease the total electricity resource requirements and implementation costs. These topics, along with reliability, will be examined more closely in future analyses.

A clean electricity grid is necessary to achieve economywide carbon neutrality. Using clean electricity to power transportation, buildings and industrial operations helps decarbonize these sectors of the economy, which, along with electricity generation, account for 92% of the state’s carbon emissions.

California’s electricity mix is already more than 60% carbon-free. About 36% of that comes from renewable sources, predominantly wind and solar. . . .

Additional Multiagency Actions. The CPUC, California Independent System Operator and CEC are implementing actions to prevent electricity shortages and ensure delivery of clean, reliable and affordable energy in response to the August 2020 extreme heat wave. Among the actions are expediting the regulatory and procurement processes to develop additional resources that can be on-line by summer 2021 and ensuring that the generation and storage projects under construction are completed as scheduled.

This year, CARB will also begin the process to update the Assembly Bill 32 Climate Change Scoping Plan, which will assess progress towards reducing GHG emissions 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030 and chart the path to carbon neutrality by 2045. The SB 100 report is one of the foundational reports that will inform the development of the next scoping plan. The CARB board will consider acting on the scoping plan in late 2022.

There's a link to the report (179 pgs.) In the article.

Back