Charging Timer Stops at 88% or 89% - 2017 Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonAcampora

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2017 Leaf with the S trim. When using the timer for charging, the battery only charges to 88% or 89%. If I don't use the timer it charges to 100%.

Is this normal? Is there any way to change this?

I've read through many posts but not found any mention of this. I was thinking that the previous owner might of changed some settings that I can't find, but it seems like it's not possible to change the max charge amount on a 2017 with the S trim.

The S trim only has the ability to set the ending time of the charge. I plug it in and set the timer about 12 hours before the end time of 8AM.
This is plenty of time to get to a full charge. The car doesn't start charging when I plug it in and set the timer, so I believe it has plenty of time to charge. I'm guessing that something else is stopping it at around 89%.

I'm using the Primecom Level 2 charger 10-30P. Not sure that would make a difference either, but just want to give as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Thanks goldbrick! I’ll check the clock settings. I have not looked at those yet.

And good point on the car still charging at 89%. I haven’t checked on it right before the timer is set to expire.

I’ll do that next time I charge it and report back. Gives me an excuse to drive it. I’m really enjoying this car!

I wonder if the PrimeCom is tapering down charging current more than the car expects it to, so the car isn't starting the charge soon enough to reach 100% by the timer set time.

You may need to disable the charge timer every time you want to charge to 100% with the PrimeCom, as you found.

There isn't a charge-limiting setting on the car that I'm aware of.

You might experiment with the Nissan EVSE and see if the timer acts the way it should.

Congrats on the 2017!

^Good points. A quick scan of the PrimeCom on Amazon shows it has internal overheat protection as well as lots of other safety features. Maybe one of those is throttling the current before the car hits its target.

In any event, unless you are charging to 100% the timers are a trial and error procedure to find the right start and stop times to get to the desired end SOC. Even if you are charging to 100% it sounds like some trial and error may be in order.

Thank you PrairieLEAF and goldbrick! My apologies for the delayed reply.

These are great points about the PrimeCom charger. Every time I looked at the charge unit it said it was charging at 3.2 to 3.4 kwh. However, these charges were during some hot weather here in California and we were running portable A/C units in the house. Not sure if that would impact it at all, but overheating could be an issue. I saw the charge unit get as high as 53 degrees C but I wasn't watching it all the time. PrimeCom says it can run to 60 degrees.

Interestingly I charged again with the timer last week and it reached 100%. I don't drive the car often right now so I haven't been able to test as much. It's good to know that there are no settings that would limit the charge. That was my real concern. I can just charge without the timer in the future if needed.

Thanks again for your help!

JonAcampora said:
These are great points about the PrimeCom charger. Every time I looked at the charge unit it said it was charging at 3.2 to 3.4 kwh.
What is the bolded part supposed to mean? Are you talking about kW?

What if you set the timer to end giving it another ~2 hours extra?

Back