Nissan LEAF Death Watch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, at free L2 J1772s, all sorts of vehicles use them here in the Bay Area, including Teslas.

Other than via hokey DriveTheARC, there aren't that many free DC FCs in the Bay Area. Oddly, a few of them are at schools (of rich areas) but they're way too far and out of the way for me to even bother unless I'm passing by/thru the area and some are too slow (e.g. "24" or "25" kW) units.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/140829
https://www.plugshare.com/location/183081
https://www.plugshare.com/location/168002
DaveinOlyWA said:
My take is that Tesla didn't see the need maybe due to low demand? which is why the T3 wasn't launched with the option and people complained so they added it. I am sure it was nothing more than a SW tweak so yeah low hanging fruit move. Its not like Tesla doesn't provide a lot of stuff that is not functional, just cute.
I doubt it was a simple software tweak, otherwise it wouldn't have taken them so long to enable it.

First "deliveries" on Model 3 (which went to employees) was at end of July 2017. They didn't enable CHAdeMO working w/Model 3 via software update until around July 2019. They probably wanted to target getting it working by delivery to Japan. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-rhd-delivery-started-in-japan.166144/ in Japan got his 3 in Sept 13, 2019. That guy also received a CHAdeMO adapter in the trunk of his S before the CHAdeMO adapter was even shipping in the US.
SageBrush said:
The Model 3 certainly had a 'to do' list when it launched. The CHAdeMO adapter was in that list from day #1 but clearly was not a priority. Our northern neighbors may have made enough noise to bump the adapter up a few spots in the queue. One way or another, the adapter is a rare bird in the wild outside of Canada
As I wrote at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=571131#p571131, the CHAdeMO adapter came standard with the Model S and X in Japan. That said, AFAIK, neither of those sell in large numbers in Japan.

cwerdna said:
the CHAdeMO adapter came standard with the Model S and X in Japan. That said, AFAIK, neither of those sell in large numbers in Japan.
You are right -- I forgot about Japan. So the Tesla deadline to get the adapter working for Model 3 pretty much ignored N. America and was completed in time for Japan. Makes sense.

SageBrush said:
Moreover, water extinguishes Li fire so the BMS is in fact a fire retardant.

Maybe this is true in the long run but in the short term any nearby water will only make things much, much worse.

cwerdna said:
FWIW, I'm in the SF Bay Area and although I don't personally know these folks, these guys use the CHAdeMO adapter w/their Teslas:
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the CHAdeMO adapters recently sold were to Tesla owners near free, local CHAdeMO stations.

Definitely not "Teslas use Chademos heavily".

jlv said:
cwerdna said:
FWIW, I'm in the SF Bay Area and although I don't personally know these folks, these guys use the CHAdeMO adapter w/their Teslas:
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the CHAdeMO adapters recently sold were to Tesla owners near free, local CHAdeMO stations.

Definitely not "Teslas use Chademos heavily".

Two years ago, they were using the EVgo's at Tacoma Mall pretty heavily. I was convinced a white S 90 worked there because he was there almost every day. There were 3 stations and a handful of times, 2 of the 3 charging were Tesla's.

jlv said:
My guess too, but it will be a case of penny wise and pound foolish:

Expensive adaptor
Slow charging, so a waste of time
Faster battery degradation compared to routine L2 charging
And cream on the cake, Tesla will count the sessions towards the max power nerf

If its a choice between stopping at the attached highway oasis at 50kW or taking a 10 minute detour to get to the supercharger, it seems any time savings in charging speed would be lost.

SageBrush said:
jlv said:
My guess too, but it will be a case of penny wise and pound foolish:

Expensive adaptor
Slow charging, so a waste of time
Faster battery degradation compared to routine L2 charging
And cream on the cake, Tesla will count the sessions towards the max power nerf
The $450 adapter is cheaper than getting a DC FC inlet on some EVs. It's a $750 option on Chevy Bolts, for example.

Some folks like Randy Spencer on TMC has had the adapter pay for itself already.

As for "slow", well, it's a lot faster than L2. Most J1772 public charging is only 30 amp max and often only 208 volts, so ~6.2 kW at max. 35 to 50 kW is a hell of a lot faster. My Leaf doesn't even have CHAdeMO. On both my cars, I still sometimes had been taking advantage of free L2 charging but unfortunately the free public L2 near home has become 19 cents/kWh.

As for faster battery degradation than L2, I haven't seen that quantified but some folks on other EVs haven't seen significant degradation from DC FCing. Heck, even a US govt lab tested 2 gen 1 Leafs (I think model year 2012) that were only L2 charged and 2 that were only DC FCed. The DC FCed ones were a bit worse off but it wasn't significant. Unfortunately, they tested in Phoenix, IIRC.

As for "nerfing", I don't know if it's been learned than any packs beyond the 75 and 90 kWh packs can get nerfed (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/90-and-75-battery-packs-getting-nerfed-early.152322/).

DougWantsALeaf said:
If its a choice between stopping at the attached highway oasis at 50kW or taking a 10 minute detour to get to the supercharger, it seems any time savings in charging speed would be lost.

This is the reason the adapter was so popular here. The SC network might have a great rep, but up until recently, I was not a fan of its coverage.

Back