COVID-19 aka 2019 (and 2020) Novel Coronavirus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
Oilpan4 said:
That's why we need to protect the most vulnerable people.
If age 45 and older is vulnerable, that is about 39% of the population.

Exactly how do you protect these people?

I don't know I'm not a governor and I'm not responsible for caring for any people in the endangered age group. But I definitely wouldn't send trumpvirus positive people to nursing homes like they did in NY and NJ.
Unless I wanted thousands of people to die.

gncndad said:
Trump admin has spoken: Herd immunity, which was their unspoken policy all along. As the laughing-stock of the world, we will continue what we've been doing: POTUS encouraged super-spreading events, half-hearted, unenforced attempts at social distancing, minimal mask usage. ...

As I predicted in my post of Jul 08
And I'm pretty sure this will be the Trumpian battle-cry for the fall -- that the contagion was "inevitable" and the mask-wearing and social-distancing was a waste of time and a Leftist hoax as Dear Leader told us.

What do you think the answer is?
Can you provide an answer that doesn't greatly increase poverty and malnutrition among the least effected?

Oilpan4 said:
What do you think the answer is?
Can you provide an answer that doesn't greatly increase poverty and malnutrition among the least effected?

New Zealand, Japan, Germany, Iceland and Taiwan all seem to have done very well on both. Maybe we can learn something.

Or maybe not.

Also, what doesn't work.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-donald-trump-united-nations-07353942476703499ed0e668eba52178

If Europe is doing everything right then why are some of their infection rates way higher than the US?
Oh and what's bidens plan to fight the virus?

Oilpan4 said:
If Europe is doing everything right then why are some of their infection rates way higher than the US?
New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan aren't in Europe and have done pretty well in keeping COVID-19 under control. Sort by (COVID-19) deaths per 1 million population at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/.

Things are looking bleak again in parts of Europe (e.g. UK, Spain and France). Germany has lots of cases but their death rate per million population is relatively low vs. the US at 117 vs. 674 in the US.

At end of July 2020, Hong Kong:
Hong Kong faces large-scale outbreak that may lead to a ‘collapse’ of its hospital system, Carrie Lam says

Hong Kong is facing a new wave of Covid-19 infections that can overwhelm the city’s health care system and cost lives, chief executive Carrie Lam has warned.

She urged people to stay at home as far as possible and follow strict social distancing measures. The city on Tuesday said it was investigating 106 additional cases of infection, bringing Hong Kong’s total number of confirmed cases to at least 2,884.

“We are on the verge of a large-scale community outbreak, which may lead to a collapse of our hospital system and cost lives, especially of the elderly,” Lam said in a statement.
HK has 14 deaths per million population. They have about 7.5 million people. Meanwhile Florida with about 21 million people per https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ has 737 deaths per million population. Yesterday, they had 3449 new COVID-19 cases.

I wasn't taking about deaths. The deaths are low because the infection rate was low because of the east Germany style lockdowns, they have been off lockdown for a while now and it's been spiking way up lately.
Problem with lockdowns is for most people the lockdowns are far worse than the disease.
I'm having trouble finding Hong Kong on a map of europe...

Oilpan4 said:
Oh and what's bidens plan to fight the virus?
"Europe"? Confusing the Germans and the Italians would likely not make friends of either.

Oilpan4 said:
Problem with lockdowns is for most people the lockdowns are far worse than the disease.
"Most people"?

A competent government would use a lockdown only to get the disease under control, and then test and contact trace the disease down to zero cases. A competent government would support it's citizens while the lockdown is in place to minimize the harm of the lockdown.

It's fairly easy to see that the USA doesn't have a competent government. Compare with New Zealand, for example.

"Most people"?

A competent government would use a lockdown only to get the disease under control, and then test and contact trace the disease down to zero cases. A competent government would support it's citizens while the lockdown is in place to minimize the harm of the lockdown.

It's fairly easy to see that the USA doesn't have a competent government. Compare with New Zealand, for example.

I totally agree, their federal government is basically saying fend for your yourselves.

WetEV said:
Oilpan4 said:
"Most people"?

To add; the WHO recommends lockdowns only to alleviate pressure on the medical community and allow systems for tracking and testing to be implemented. Tracking especially needs a launching point which isn't really possible if the infection rates are skyrocketing.

WetEV said:
Oilpan4 said:

It's fairly easy to see that the USA doesn't have a competent government.

I'll agree to that. I would say the last time the government could be considered competent LBJ was president for sure, maybe Nixon.

It's tough trying to manage a country hell-bent on naive, jingoistic "freedom" and "patriotic" rhetoric. Every state wants autonomy, "freedom from tyranny", until they need something, like infrastructure replacement (still not happening) and/or disaster relief...or national defense.

330 million individual, self-righteous people, Ugh...

The countries that have had better covid outcomes did what their governments asked of them for the common good.
Unfortunately, the idiot at the helm of this government only cares about what is best for him. It is sad that we are the $hithole country
that he called other countries.

Oilpan4 said:
If Europe is doing everything right
Says who? Why do you bring up Europe instead of specific countries (which may or may not be in Europe) that are/have been handling COVID-19 well?

From https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries sorted by COVID-19 deaths per 1 million population, I'd say Belgium and Spain are doing pretty badly while Germany, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are doing pretty well.

Heard about this on the news earlier tonight:
(Utah) Hospital Over Capacity In 'Unsustainable' Coronavirus Spike.
https://ksltv.com/447201/u-of-u-hospital-over-capacity-in-unsustainable-coronavirus-spike/

Northern Utah hospital filled to capacity as Southern Utah sets another 1-day high for COVID-19 cases
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2020/10/17/apc-northern-utah-hospital-filled-to-capacity-as-southern-utah-sets-another-1-day-high-for-covid-19-cases/

A Utah woman was near death, but faced hours of delay because hospitals are strained by COVID-19
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/15/utah-coronavirus-cases-up/

This morning, reports claiming nearly all of Wisconsin is a COVID hotspot right now. Sad because we have only just begun. 8 months to prepare and most places still don't have a plan yet.

WA is moving a handful of counties to phase 2. Not sure why as we are spiking as well. My county has been phase 3 for a while and we are nearing record new infections. Last week, it was 35-50 per day. We were at 50 PER WEEK in August.

The Christmas holiday season will be very interesting this year.

I don't understand why it isn't more widely reported that the Dakotas are the nation's biggest Hot Spot. I don't remember if this animation was posted here or not. I'll post it shortly. You may have to right click on the word "Image" to view it.

total-cases-since-june

If you go to the bottom, and watch first North Dakota, then South Dakota race up the chart, you can see just how big a Super-spreader event Sturgis was...

Back