Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
fotajoye said:
Perhaps this will catch on here in the U.S. and we can repurpose the many used packs made available by accidents.

IIRC, about 1% of on-road vehicles get totaled each year from accident.

That's plenty for DIYers; however, a second source for new fairly-priced packs would be welcomed.
Here is a link to copart:
https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResults/?free=true&query=nissan%20Leaf

fotajoye said:
SageBrush said:
fotajoye said:
Perhaps this will catch on here in the U.S. and we can repurpose the many used packs made available by accidents.

IIRC, about 1% of on-road vehicles get totaled each year from accident.

That's plenty for DIYers; however, a second source for new fairly-priced packs would be welcomed.
Here is a link to copart:
https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResults/?free=true&query=nissan%20Leaf

This website
https://carsbidshistory.com/findbymake
lets you search for completed sales from copart by make and model.

SageBrush said:
@galehawkins

I would be delighted at mention of a buyback

In my case I had just bought the car 5 weeks before it lost the 4th State Of Health battery bar. The selling Nissan dealership to close the deal assured me I would be due an new traction battery from from Nissan per the Nissan battery warranty he had printed out for me before I arrived from my 5 hour drive to test drive his 2016 Nissan SL showing 20,665 miles. I needed a nice car to get the wife to work until a planned 2024 retirement.

Thankfully 6 weeks after I had trailered our Leaf to the closest Nissan Leaf service center our Leaf was ready to pickup containing a new 40 kWh lithium ion battery pack.

While it was far from hassle free after I learned that Carlos had just predicted Nissan would be in bankruptcy court in 2022 I realized I had a serious issue. The Leaf was my 6th Nissan but the first Nissan without a gas tank.

My above story was pre Covid-19. If Ford is at risk of bankruptcy at this point I expect the Leaf may be Nissan's last EV on the world market. I love Nissan products but can not support the level of integrity I see at the top today in Japan.

Hi... Im an original owner of a 2011 Nissan Leaf ... I use to post here a lot back in 2011-12 .... .. IM confused about the warranty on a Leaf ... I get a letter in the mail that Nissan wants to do a reseal on the battery pack that is down 6 bars ( I thought I was out of warranty ) They check it out and tell me under warranty the battery will be replaced .... Wow what a big surprise ... I have gone 78000 miles problem free except for battery degradation ... Im thinking it may be time to sell it while it has 12 bars ....

At this point, the car owes you nothing yet you have decent range again. Even with 12 bars, it's probably only worth $6K.

Personally, I would keep it.

mark133 said:
Hi... Im an original owner of a 2011 Nissan Leaf ... I use to post here a lot back in 2011-12 .... .. IM confused about the warranty on a Leaf ... I get a letter in the mail that Nissan wants to do a reseal on the battery pack that is down 6 bars ( I thought I was out of warranty ) They check it out and tell me under warranty the battery will be replaced .... Wow what a big surprise ... I have gone 78000 miles problem free except for battery degradation ... Im thinking it may be time to sell it while it has 12 bars ....

What state are you located in ? I want to go to your Nissan Dealer =)

mark133 said:

Awesome.
You are out of warranty with respect to battery degradation but it sounds like you just squeaked under the bar for a battery defect replacement.

IM not going to give the dealer name out .... Im in Phx AZ and the car is going up for sale .... Im moving to Show Low AZ .....If anyone else gets a letter in the mail from Nissan about a battery reseal, make sure you get it done, you may get a big surprise .... I still wonder why they sent me a letter about the reseal of the battery ....

mark133 said:
IM not going to give the dealer name out .... Im in Phx AZ and the car is going up for sale .... Im moving to Show Low AZ .....If anyone else gets a letter in the mail from Nissan about a battery reseal, make sure you get it done, you may get a big surprise .... I still wonder why they sent me a letter about the reseal of the battery ....

Curious as to what a "reseal" actually is? Too many of these dealer mailers are simply bait and switch. Why would they be reaching out to you to enhanced a used vehicle at no cost to you? None of this makes any sense.

mark133 said:
Good for you!
Like others suggest, I would keep the car since a 2011-12 Leaf carries so little resale value...who knows, there may be someone, other than scammers, offering upgraded battery packs next year.
I have been remiss in getting my Leaf inspected for bad seals, now i have a reason to get it into Nissan, Hope!

DaveinOlyWA said:
mark133 said:

Curious as to what a "reseal" actually is? Too many of these dealer mailers are simply bait and switch. Why would they be reaching out to you to enhanced a used vehicle at no cost to you? None of this makes any sense.

The bonding plate recall maybe?

Valdemar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
mark133 said:

Seems unlikely. The early packs were bolted together with a little sealer. The later packs went to mostly sealer (have heard many a LEAF tech bitching about that move!) Besides, the OP mentioned restoration of range. The bonding plate issue is a recall, not a warranty thing.

This was the 3rd battery for my car .... I had actually checked on the warranty on my 2nd battery @ 61000 miles when I lost the 4th bar ...They said I had no warranty left .... 15000 miles later and down 6 bars I get the reseal letter in the mail from Nissan .... Nissan checked the battery out and said under warranty I'm getting a new battery .... I was not going to ask any questions and I just said WOW thank you .... I just brought this up because I want to make sure that everyone that gets a reseal letter in the mail, make sure you get it done ...

mark133 said:
This was the 3rd battery for my car .... I had actually checked on the warranty on my 2nd battery @ 61000 miles when I lost the 4th bar ...They said I had no warranty left .... 15000 miles later and down 6 bars I get the reseal letter in the mail from Nissan .... Nissan checked the battery out and said under warranty I'm getting a new battery .... I was not going to ask any questions and I just said WOW thank you .... I just brought this up because I want to make sure that everyone that gets a reseal letter in the mail, make sure you get it done ...

Was the first "replacement" what is termed as a "lizard" battery - when was that done? Do you have the serial number of this replacement? I have a "lizard" replacement - wondering if a certain production run had sealing problems and are covered under the "defect" warranty (8 years/100,000 miles??). Next question is when does that defect warranty start - at time of replacement?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Seems unlikely. The early packs were bolted together with a little sealer. The later packs went to mostly sealer (have heard many a LEAF tech bitching about that move!) Besides, the OP mentioned restoration of range. The bonding plate issue is a recall, not a warranty thing.
Yesterday I took my 2011 car in for the battery plate recall. I wasn't lucky. No one offered to replace my battery fee of costs.
So, I got a quote for a 24 kWh replacement battery...it was north of $10k(ugh).
And, I also looked at a used 2017 BMW i3. The trade in offer on my SV with 32,000 miles was $1,500. Needly to say, I didn't buy the i3 because of the low trade in and on advice from a friend who calls them designer cars and said they are unique even to the 12 volt battery and require way too much expensive dealer involvement.
Maybe I should visit Tesla next time I'm in town.

fotajoye said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:

Yesterday I took my 2011 car in for the battery plate recall. I wasn't lucky. No one offered to replace my battery fee of costs.
So, I got a quote for a 24 kWh replacement battery...it was north of $10k(ugh).
And, I also looked at a used 2017 BMW i3. The trade in offer on my SV with 32,000 miles was $1,500. Needly to say, I didn't buy the i3 because of the low trade in and on advice from a friend who calls them designer cars and said they are unique even to the 12 volt battery and require way too much expensive dealer involvement.
Maybe I should visit Tesla next time I'm in town.
I don't know what the 'battery plate' recall is but the fellow who got a free pack describes the reason as a 'battery reseal' recall. Perhaps you should review the recall database rather than relying on a dealership. It might also help to see the recall letter itself

The battery plate recall involves them replacing an auxiliary grounding plate that is prone to rust and, possibly, eventual failure. I don't think any of us heard about a "resealing" recall before the post here about it.

Marktm said:
mark133 said:

Was the first "replacement" what is termed as a "lizard" battery - when was that done? Do you have the serial number of this replacement? I have a "lizard" replacement - wondering if a certain production run had sealing problems and are covered under the "defect" warranty (8 years/100,000 miles??). Next question is when does that defect warranty start - at time of replacement?

mark133 - any updates/answers?

Back