Going for a warranty replacement, wish me luck.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard of Nissan installing used batteries as warranty replacements yet but they from day one of providing the capacity warranty (as a result of the Klee class action settlement) have left themselves the option to.

Good point, but I do wonder if they would ever exercise that option. Breaking down a battery pack to replace a few bad cells, in order to bring the pack back to 9 capacity bars or more, seems like the more costly option vs a replacement pack, as the former would be way more labor intensive and would require a more knowledgeable and skillful mechanic.

alozzy said:
I haven't heard of Nissan installing used batteries as warranty replacements yet but they from day one of providing the capacity warranty (as a result of the Klee class action settlement) have left themselves the option to.

Good point, but I do wonder if they would ever exercise that option. Breaking down a battery pack to replace a few bad cells, in order to bring the pack back to 9 capacity bars or more, seems like the more costly option vs a replacement pack, as the former would be way more labor intensive and would require a more knowledgeable and skillful mechanic.
A *much* more skillful mechanic ... that in general they do not have.
Nissan also has to weigh the possibility of the car being back for *another* warranty service they could have avoided.

So I agree with you, cell swaps seem quite unlikely. However,
A refurb -- maybe, if they get their act together
A used pack -- maybe, if they get their act together
A 30 kWh pack they find lying around -- who knows
A 40 kwh pack that failed QA -- that would be Nissan's style

The point I was making is that Nissan gets to choose, and no amount of customer whining or temper tantrums is going to dissuade Nissan from doing whatever they decide is cheapest for Nissan this quarter.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely Nissan corporate would want a dealer mucking w/swapping modules. A refurb/used pack that is down a few bars is FAR more likely, if they ever decide to go that route.

IIRC, Andy Palmer during either the Phoenix town hall or an interview I recall answered a question about how many bars the replacement might have. IIRC, his answer was along the lines of, they only want to have to swap the pack once, so it probably wouldn't make much sense for them to put in a 9 bar pack if it meant that (I'm inferring for that climate), it means they'd need to swap it out again within the capacity warranty.

edit: Found it. See https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=300329#p300329. He talks about it between about 22:00 and 24:30. That said, he ended up leaving Nissan years ago for Aston Martin and TIL, he's no longer there either: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltaylor/2020/10/08/ex-aston-martin-ceo-palmer-joins-silicon-valleyslovakian-ai-battery-group/.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely Nissan corporate would want a dealer mucking w/swapping modules.

They have in fact done this, but with new modules, not used ones. It's been done at least a couple of times when a new Leaf had just one or two bad cells.

LeftieBiker said:
Yeah, it's highly unlikely Nissan corporate would want a dealer mucking w/swapping modules.

They have in fact done this, but with new modules, not used ones. It's been done at least a couple of times when a new Leaf had just one or two bad cells.
I should've been more clear. You are correct the dealers have absolutely done this.

What I meant is that I doubt that Nissan corporate would want a dealer mucking with modules on an 8 bar pack w/gradual capacity loss (not a bad module) in an attempt to bring it to 9, 10 or whatever bars. For gradual capacity loss, Nissan has been sending entire packs, all new, as far as we know.

What I meant is that I doubt that Nissan corporate would want a dealer mucking with modules on an 8 bar pack w/gradual capacity loss (not a bad module) in an attempt to bring it to 9, 10 or whatever bars. For gradual capacity loss, Nissan has been sending entire packs, all new, as far as we know.

Yes indeed. We can bet that it's because Nissan doesn't want to have to pay for the same warranty work twice.

solvorn said:
I'm very happy with the result and I'm not sure why everyone was so fast to curb my enthusiasm. I wonder if this board has the typical negative board culture. I was hoping for a friendly place to share info and projects about Leafs, not get hazed.

I've only been on this board for about a month and I haven't had that impression at all. Sure there are a few brusque folks, but a lot of it depends on how you present your questions.

No offense, but your first post read (to me at least) as fairly authoritarian. You didn't really seem to be asking questions, but just wanting people to agree with you (which is always a bit risky as a brand new poster). I can't say I'm completely surprised that this ruffled a few people's feathers.
Unfortunately, a lot of this is that it's hard to figure out "tone" on the internet.

Sorry but the idea of warranting a degraded pack with a 9 bar pack is just simply comical. For all you "lawyers" out there; does it make sense in the OP's case to have him come in year until his warranty expires to perform a very expensive procedure on the company dime EVERY year to restore him to 9 bars?

You guys are hilarious :lol: :lol:

Back