Backup camera quality

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBCLeaf

My backup camera pictures is extremely blurry. At first I thought there might be a protective plastic over the lens, but there isn't. The lens is spotless, but the picture looks like there's Vaseline smeared on the lens. Is this normal?

My backup camera gets that way and after a car wash it's back to normal. Maybe hit it with a rag and some alcohol or soap or something. It almost has to be the lens or cover is dirty or damaged.

Thanks. I took a closer look and it looks like there's some internal element that's messed up. It looks like some kind of plastic lens or something inside the glass has shifted.

1m77nk.jpg

This is how a sign with 2-inch high letters 3 feet from the rear bumper looks on the display.

A3wJHXJ.jpg

estomax said:
sounds like a warranty claim for a new camera :)

I dropped it off at the dealer this morning. While there I looked at 3 other 2020 Leaf models and they all have that translucent, off-center plastic-looking disk in their cameras as well. None of the other Nissan models had that in their cameras. I'm wondering if it's a wider issue than just my car.

Since they sold it to me at $9,000 off MSRP I'm guessing they're not real keen on refreshing their inventory once they get rid of the ones they have.

SBCLeaf said:
estomax said:
sounds like a warranty claim for a new camera :)

I dropped it off at the dealer this morning. While there I looked at 3 other 2020 Leaf models and they all have that translucent, off-center plastic-looking disk in their cameras as well. None of the other Nissan models had that in their cameras. I'm wondering if it's a wider issue than just my car.

Did you check the image quality on those other cars?

UPDATE - Dealership just called back to say they're still trying to diagnose the issue and they need to keep the car. "No rental car for you."

So three days into owning a Nissan it's already been in the shop for longer than all of my Toyotas for the last 17 years put together.

SBCLeaf said:
UPDATE - Dealership just called back to say they're still trying to diagnose the issue and they need to keep the car. "No rental car for you."

So three days into owning a Nissan it's already been in the shop for longer than all of my Toyotas for the last 17 years put together.
While none of my Leaf issues were really major and required more than a day in the shop, I'd totally agree with your last paragraph...... hence my next new vehicle will be another Toyota :)

jjeff said:
While none of my Leaf issues were really major and required more than a day in the shop, I'd totally agree with your last paragraph...... hence my next new vehicle will be another Toyota :)

If, and only if, this is the last problem I have I will chalk it up to a fluke. But if I have any more problems I will probably ditch the car and go back to Toyota.

alozzy said:
Does Toyota even have a BEV model for the US market?

No. That's why I bought the Leaf, but if I have to trade never having a single problem for BEV Im going back to plug-in hybrid.

Hopefully Toyota makes some BEVs available soon. I guess COVID delayed the BEV initiative mentioned here?

https://insideevs.com/news/353600/toyota-six-global-bevs/

SBCLeaf said:
My backup camera pictures is extremely blurry. At first I thought there might be a protective plastic over the lens, but there isn't. The lens is spotless, but the picture looks like there's Vaseline smeared on the lens. Is this normal?

No. Should have a clear picture albeit a bit distorted due to the fish eye like effect which is good as it allows you to see side traffic as well. My only complaint is its randomly slow at times. I have frequently backed up several feet before it has come on. Granted its areas I know are clear but other times I have to wait for it and yeah, its like 3 seconds but I start to wonder after the .3 seconds I am willing to accept...

Dealership just called and said that Nissan's position is that it's normal operation. They compared it to another 2020 Leaf on the premises which has the same blurry camera, so therefor they cannot do anything about it.

I guess I'm going to have to file a complaint with NHTSA, because not being able to discern whether an object in your camera is a maybe just a box in the driveway or a small child is a definite safety hazard.

Before someone asks, I asked the dealership how it compares to other Nissan models. They told me that comparison is irrelevant because other model cameras aren't compatible.

SBCLeaf said:
Dealership just called and said that Nissan's position is that it's normal operation. They compared it to another 2020 Leaf on the premises which has the same blurry camera, so therefor they cannot do anything about it.

I guess I'm going to have to file a complaint with NHTSA, because not being able to discern whether an object in your camera is a maybe just a box in the driveway or a small child is a definite safety hazard.
I don't have a gen 2 Leaf but I can tell you the picture quality of GM Surround Vision on my '19 Bolt Premier is awful compared to my '13 Leaf's Around View Monitor. No, it's not just my car. I've test driven another '19 and also rented a '17 Bolt Premier with it. It's the same.

The whole system got upgraded to "HD" cameras on '20 Bolts along w/added functionality. I don't have such a sign so I can't really compare.

Back