Used Leaf battery info - what does it mean?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PedroinAlaska

Hi I'm looking at a used 2015 leaf. The car and I are in a small town in Alaska and the car was supposed to be from Arizona before being sold to its current owner by our town's used car lot. This would be my first electric car.

The post came with an image of the battery stats and I'm looking for some help deciphering it. Thanks!

AHr 46.35
SOH =74.63%
383.42V
Hx 52.73

13mV
SOC=66.9%

Odo is 47,600miles 104 QCs & 2115 L1/L2s

and the price is $7500

PedroinAlaska said:
Hi I'm looking at a used 2015 leaf. The car and I are in a small town in Alaska and the car was supposed to be from Arizona before being sold to its current owner by our town's used car lot. This would be my first electric car.

The post came with an image of the battery stats and I'm looking for some help deciphering it. Thanks!

AHr 46.35
SOH =74.63%
383.42V
Hx 52.73

13mV
SOC=66.9%

Odo is 47,600miles 104 QCs & 2115 L1/L2s

and the price is $7500

Ahr is down 31% which is your capacity. This car is not in good shape. Don't know how used car prices go in your area but guessing they are a bit higher there. No sure this will be a good deal for you. I expect no more than 30 miles of range during Winter. I am guessing that you would rarely drive much farther than that but if you aren't parking the car in a somewhat insulated garage, this might not be worth the headache.

Thanks!

Yes I'm seeing that battery is damaged. What would the cost be to replace a battery in a 2015?

Thanks again

Too much! Estimates will range from $10,000 to $15,000. You could have a used pack installed; if you go that route, you can get a 40kwh pack from a 2018+ Leaf installed - IF you can find a shop that does those swaps.

PedroinAlaska said:
Yes I'm seeing that battery is damaged. What would the cost be to replace a battery in a 2015?
It's not damaged. It has degraded, just like all li-ion batteries do over time.

However, since you mention AZ, the amount of degradation isn't surprising. High temps are murder on Leaf's batteries. If you got the same model year with the same or more mileage from a mild climate (e.g. Seattle area, Oregon, city of San Francisco), it would almost certainly be much less degraded.

cwerdna said:
PedroinAlaska said:
It's not damaged. It has degraded, just like all li-ion batteries do over time.

However, since you mention AZ, the amount of degradation isn't surprising. High temps are murder on Leaf's batteries.

That is the bad news.

The good news is that degradation should be slow in Alaska. So if the car does what you need, with margin, it should continue to do so for a good long time.

You can NOT count on the car's range estimate, especially in cold weather. Dave's 30 mile estimate would likely be too high in interior Alaska and might be too high in coastal Alaska. In very cold temperatures the battery heater will run, draining the battery. If your commute has a open air parking lot, you will need to account for this as well.

Where in Alaska? Not exactly, but close enough so we have a clue as to climate. Put into your profile, so we can always see it, please.

If you plan to replace the battery look for a shop that will put in a used 40kWh pack. There are used 62kWh packs also but they are harder to find, more expensive and require some fabrication work to fit since the pack is physically bigger. A 40kWh pack will more or less bolt in but there are some electronic modifications required before it will all work. There are places in Portland, OR that perform this service or you might be able to find something closer to Seattle. At that point, though, it might make sense to just buy a Leaf in the lower 48 and ship it up on the ferry.

Back