Gen One Battery Upgrade Options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rusdy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

If Yes; Right now, Nissan is offering a very good deal at $4500 with required exchange plus labor so "about" $5500 or so and you would be getting a better pack than you had before so it should hold up better and you have the advantage of the 80% setting.

Does anyone know for sure that Nissan's battery replacement (for 2012 leaf) is indeed the better pack? I 've read somewhere that Nissan's battery replacement is identical, which means, if one owns 'gen-1' battery (a.k.a. canary batteries), then the replacement is also a 'canary' type. This is indicated by the last digit of the battery part number.

For example, I've just replaced my battery (by Nissan) with battery part number NI-295B0-3NA6A. I've read somewhere the last digit 'A' is a canary type.

I'm trying to find it from the search engine, alas, can't find it.

P.S.:
Australian leaf owner here, where we only have 2012 leaf (the next one brought into the country is 2019 model onwards)

The pack is better. You heard the $4500 price is no longer available? Cost is now over $7K plus install. You would be much better off to pay a bit more or maybe even the same for a salvage 40 kwh pack which is MUCH better robustility and provides the greater range. The locations where this can be done is growing

The pack is better.

Are you saying that the "Wolf" packs used in later 2013 Leafs were used as warranty replacement packs before they were used in production cars? Or that packs with part numbers indicating Canary packs now consist of Wolf packs? I honestly don't know.

LeftieBiker said:
The pack is better.

Are you saying that the "Wolf" packs used in later 2013 Leafs were used as warranty replacement packs before they were used in production cars? Or that packs with part numbers indicating Canary packs now consist of Wolf packs? I honestly don't know.

He is talking here and now, correct? AFAIK, all current 24 kwh packs being installed are 2016 and later?

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
The pack is better.

He is talking here and now, correct? AFAIK, all current 24 kwh packs being installed are 2016 and later?
IIRC, the Klee settlement required that warranty replacements in the USA had to use the latest and best chemistry. It would surprise me if Nissan kept two inventories, one for the USA and one for other countries.

I'm not sure what happens if the better chemistry is only in a larger pack. Does that force Nissan to install the larger pack ?

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

IIRC, the Klee settlement required that warranty replacements in the USA had to use the latest and best chemistry. It would surprise me if Nissan kept two inventories, one for the USA and one for other countries.

I'm not sure what happens if the better chemistry is only in a larger pack. Does that force Nissan to install the larger pack ?

I suspected that $4500 fire sale was to clear out the 2015 stock. Expect another fire sale in a year or two to clear out the 2016's. Its not like they will be moving briskly at their normal price. :lol:

Back