TPMS for 2018-2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrie

Has anyone used these third party TPMS sensors? The reviews all seem fake, but they say it should work for the 2018-2020 LEAF. And for $90, it's about a third of the cost of the OEM sensors from what I can see.

$90 version from Mobiletron
https://www.amazon.com/MOBILETRON-MoreSensor-Direct-Fit-Pressure-CX-S104-4/dp/B07VJ1JFPB?ref_=ast_sto_dp

$120 version from MaxSensor
https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Infiniti-Replaces-407704CB1B-407704CB1A/dp/B082LYMSPD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3ID0RAY43ROJR&dchild=1&keywords=nissan+leaf+tpms+2019&qid=1605287969&replacementKeywords=tpms&sprefix=poop%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-5&vehicle=2019-67-16223------------&vehicleName=2019+Nissan+Leaf

I got mine from Tire Rack, on sale, when I bought my snow tires. Not only are they ok, I was also able to get them to work using just LeafSpy Pro, which isn't supposed to be possible.

Is there a good website that explains all this stuff? I got some from eb*y and while they are the correct frequency (for a 2017) 2 shops have told me they won't work with my car. They wouldn't say why and I'm not 100% sure I believe them since it took them all of 10 seconds to say they were no good before they gave me the 4 minute spiel on what they could replace them with.

I'm at a total loss at how the whole TPMS works so if there is a website somewhere that explains it all, please do tell.

Thanks. That was the kind of information I had been finding but it was enough to motivate me to keep searching. I found a link that really dives into the details so if anyone else is interested, it is here: https://web.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Available/E-project-091115-154458/unrestricted/MQP_piscitelli_arnold_2015.pdf

It's actually a term paper of some sort about the possibilities of hacking into the CAN bus via the TPMS receivers. TL;DR, it isn't something you should worry about, at least for the time being.

It did make a few points about the different types of direct sensors that were interesting. Eg, there are both ASK and FSK transmssion techniques. ASK = amplitude shift keying and FSK = frequency shift keying. These are fairly analogous to AM and FM transmission but with only a few separate values instead of a constant waveform, like audio would produce.

Then there is the fact that each mfg can transmit data in any protocol they want. The experimenters had some prior knowledge and were able to identify temperature bits, CRC (error checking) bits, etc. for the specific sensors they used.

So while I know that there are different sensor types out there, the ones I bought were supposed to work with my car and the guys at the tire shop didn't seem to know much about them, just that didn't think they would work. Maybe I'll try one more shop before I give up. It's almost time to put on my winter wheels and they have the original sensors so I won't have to look at the little yellow lights for a least a few months.

Screw the ones you have into the wheels by hand. If they fit well and are 433mhz, then I don't know why they wouldn't work. All you need is the tightening torque and a torque wrench at that point.

Honda(any maybe others) do TPMS quite a bit differently. They don't have TPMS sensors but rather compare tire rotation speed to what it was previously during a calibration period. Seems like a complicated process and I'm not sure how fast it reacts to changes like our dedicated sensors, which when I picked up a nail driving on a freeway alerted me to a low tire condition and allowed me to pull off the freeway before getting a blowout, I was actually able to make it to the next exit where luckily a tire shop was right near the offramp.
Because of how Honda's TPMS works, every time you add air to the tires you are supposed to push a button in the menu to do a tire calibration, which takes about 60 miles and only works if you are going at speeds less than 60? MPH. I didn't know this and went to add air to someone's tires on a newer CRV and they called me back maybe 100 miles later to say their TPMS light came on. I said I didn't know why as I had actually added probably 5-10lbs to each tire, bringing them closer to max pressure as temps are dropping and they will naturally lose pressure. Long story short I researched the TPMS system for Hondas and discovered how it works, no sensors which I guess is nice for tire swapping and no battery replacement necessary but then you don't know the real pressure of any tire, you just know when a particular tire gets a smaller diameter and the wheel starts spinning faster which is assumed as lower tire pressure.....apparently it uses the ABS wheel speed sensors.

Back