Regen capacity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

So, I understand the four greed dots represent the regen happening when taking you foot of the accelerator or braking. My question is how accurate is that gauge? For example if I'm going down a pretty steep hill and it is already showing four dots of regen (all the way to the left), is there capacity (or "headroom") for more regen, like if I start braking? Is there a limit of how much regen the motor can do? And how accurate is that gauge on your dash?

I believe there is a specific number for the maximum kw's that will go back in the battery with full regen but if say you are going down a very long hill and the battery starts to approach full, the regen will noticeably drop and you'll see less bubbles. This is most noticeable on our Prius(non PHEV) that has a relatively small battery. Even if the battery is fairly low at the top of a long hill, the battery will fill up and I'll have all but zero regen(engine breaking) by the bottom of the hill. As long as you have a larger EV battery and are not near full, I doubt you'd ever fill your battery up(and lose bubbles) by regen, even on a longer hill.
Someone else may know the exact max kw's of regen the Leaf is capable of, I don't.

I vaguely remember 60 kW maximum regen, but the max is very battery temp dependent.

I do not know the answers about the bubbles

Sometimes my brain tells me things with no footnotes or references. When it does so it is more often than not correct. In this case it is saying "80kw" - although that may be for the Gen I.

Thanks for all the responses. This is for a 2017 Leaf, so gen 1.
Would I be able to see the regen kW with Leafspy? That might help figure out the dash regen dot question.

I have definitely noticed that when the battery is 100% (or near it) it basically doesn't regen (makes sense) and the "drag" we feel when taking foot of the accelerator is not there. Definitely have to adjust driving style when that happens, as we're so used to the car doing some braking on its own.

I don't currently have Leafspy hooked up but yes I seem to remember it tells you the exact amount of charging or discharging of the traction battery and I also believe the 12v accessory battery along with voltages for both. Someone else is sure to know more.

I have definitely noticed that when the battery is 100% (or near it) it basically doesn't regen (makes sense) and the "drag" we feel when taking foot of the accelerator is not there. Definitely have to adjust driving style when that happens, as we're so used to the car doing some braking on its own.

This one of the reasons why it makes so much sense to have a programmable charge limit. It is also why GM calls their original Bolt charge limit "Hilltop Mode" - a lot of people live high up, and drive downhill at the beginning of driving.

Back