Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah ... I also avoid dopey water driving so I'm not interested in the story.
OTOH, I should get around to tapping the bumpers and underside covers one of these days to be sure they are not collecting large amounts of dirt.

Simple preventive maintenance for any car, but in particular EVs

---
In other news I find much more interesting, the battery SoC reached 30% this morning so I fired up 'scan my tesla' to look at the maximum voltage delta between cells. It is 4 mV. At high SoC it meanders between 3 - 4 mV. As Bjorn would say, that is good shieet.

GCR:
Tesla is discontinuing the $35,000 Model 3—yes, again

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130320_tesla-is-discontinuing-the-35-000-model-3-yes-again

Tesla has discontinued the $35,000 Model 3—known as the Standard Range—which was already somewhat of a unicorn to begin with.

A $35,000 base price helped stir considerable enthusiasm for the Model 3 ahead of its launch, but Tesla was hesitant to offer that version of the car in large numbers. Now a refresh for the 2021 model year has completely eliminated the cheapest Model 3 from the lineup.

A Tesla sales representative, after checking with a manager, told Green Car Reports that any remaining 2020 Model 3 Standard Range Plus cars can be software-limited to Standard Range spec by a Tesla Store to achieve the $35,000 price point. However, 2021 models, which are arriving now, are no longer compatible with this downgrade.

Tesla's original specs for the Model 3 were that it would offer 215 miles of range and start at $35,000. When production started in 2017, the automaker prioritized more-expensive, longer-range, variants.

After teasing a $35,000 Model 3 with a 220-mile range in 2019, Tesla instead made this version an off-menu, special-request proposition.

To streamline production, these cars actually started out as pricier Standard Range Plus models, but got de-contented interiors after assembly, and software to limit how much battery capacity could be used. Tesla did something similar with the Model S at one time, building one battery pack, but using software to limit its capacity for different variants.

With the Standard Range gone, the base Model 3 is now the Standard Range Plus, which starts at $39,190 including the $1,200 destination fee. That gets you rear-wheel drive and an EPA-estimated range of 263 miles.

Tesla is aiming for better affordability. According to Elon Musk, Battery Day breakthroughs will enable a $25,000 Tesla in 2023. Whether Tesla commits to offering such a car in large volumes remains to be seen.

Here's the good stuff: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-2021-heat-pump-features-video/

There's no $35k version anymore, but the SR+ is still $37,990.

If you're a CA resident, these rebates apply:
$1500 EV rebate
$2000 CVRP rebate

Heat pump is a nice addition and included in all trims, including the lowest SR+ trim, so a nice upgrade there. Another big upgrade - autopilot (not "full self driving capability") is now included. This "enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane." And it's now increased to 263 miles EPA range. Plus, at 2 years of 2% annual inflation, that's a much better value than the $35k 2019 SR.

Our 2019 SR+ has been an excellent and reliable vehicle and serves our family needs well.

iPlug said:
Heat pump is a nice addition and included in all trims, including the lowest SR+ trim, so a nice upgrade there.
Heat pump is indeed the heart of the heating/cooling system, but it is much more than just a heat pump. It is a heat pump integrated into an Octovalve distribution scheme. Judging by the jumps in MPGe in different models it has improved overall annual efficiency by ~10 - 15% using the MCT EPA testing scheme.

It will be *very* interesting to see how well the system mitigates the winter efficiency penalty under different driving scenarios. I am most interested in 200+ mile driving since it matters most when the looming question is getting to the next Supercharger.

-----
As an aside, I had my first 'range anxiety' episode a few weeks ago. My wife and I planned a day trip to check out a wind farm going up about 80 miles from home. I forgot to charge overnight so we stopped at the Supercharger before heading out of town. I miscalculated the range needed due to a swift headwind on the way home (irony, that !).My choices were to either spend time at an RV park where I was, or head the wrong way ~ 40 miles to a Supercharger. I chose the Supercharger but the extra 2 hours needed was about the same either way.

Not a big deal, but it did occur to me that EV owners who do not know how to take winds into account are vulnerable to range mishaps. And I'm more sympathetic nowadays to the opinion that 400 mile EPA mile range is a good target, unless DC charging is readily available.

I worry as evs become more mainstream the concept of driving by efficiency vs. absolute speed is already too complex for many drivers. I agree that until DC charging is at every freeway stop and base range is 400 mile 2 cycle epa range, its still a necessary skill for any ev driver today.

SageBrush said:
Heat pump is indeed the heart of the heating/cooling system, but it is much more than just a heat pump. It is a heat pump integrated into an Octovalve distribution scheme. Judging by the jumps in MPGe in different models it has improved overall annual efficiency by ~10 - 15% using the MCT EPA testing scheme.
Good point. Not your ordinary heat pump.

Besides the passenger cabin, it moves heat amongst the battery, motors, power electronics, and other systems that need thermal management. But it's even more sophisticated than that and not some simple mechanical tubed device. It's basically orchestrated with the complexity of CPU level management.

Finally found a short description that captures the essence of the Octovalve:

The system conducts thermodynamic arbitrage from finite source thermodynamic sources and has the ability to augment those finite sources

iPlug said:
The system conducts thermodynamic arbitrage
YES, in the sense of being able to optimize the arbitrage. The excess heat (or cold) is divvied up to where the overall car efficiency gain is highest.

I didn't really get it when Elon called it exceptional engineering but the more I think about it the more I am impressed

DougWantsALeaf said:
Tesla 3 prices going up in Europe.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tesla-increases-price-of-all-vehicles-in-europe/
This is really good news for Tesla and speaks poorly for the competition. This is due to high demand in Europe and customers willing to pay the price. Also, significant upgrades in the 2021 vehicles add much value.

iPlug said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Tesla 3 prices going up in Europe.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tesla-increases-price-of-all-vehicles-in-europe/
This is really good news for Tesla and speaks poorly for the competition. This is due to high demand in Europe and customers willing to pay the price. Also, significant upgrades in the 2021 vehicles add much value.

The article says prices in Germany are increasing 500 Euro but the tax credit is increasing 1,000 Euro. So one take on the price increase would be that Tesla is partaking of the extra tax credit. Tesla (and GM, for that matter) will have a very interesting decision to make regarding US prices if the US federal tax credit is re-instated for them by the Biden gov. My WAG is that Tesla will help itself to some of it, as it appears they did with Germany.

These affected companies may feel forced to act in this way to avoid Osborning.

The heat pump version of the M3 appears to have been the thing to push up its Norway sales. Over 2k in December so far, exceeding Q3 deliveries. Its now beyond the Leaf for 2020 (new Leafs...still 600 to go to catch total Leafs for 2020) and chasing ID3 for silver.

https://elbilstatistikk.no/

DougWantsALeaf said:
The heat pump version of the M3 appears to have been the thing to push up its Norway sales. Over 2k in December so far, exceeding Q3 deliveries. Its now beyond the Leaf for 2020 (new Leafs...still 600 to go to catch total Leafs for 2020) and chasing ID3 for silver.

Not entirely. It's all about shipments of product. Tesla sales are lumpy, because they still batch their deliveries. Sometimes it'll look like sales are dismal and other times it'll be amazing, but the media and analysts will look for some other reason to explain the change besides production/shipping limitations.

The heat pump only adds a few more miles of range on a car that already gets more range than others, and heat pumps can't produce sufficient heat in extreme cold. So that's not a good reason to explain Norway sales.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Not entirely. It's all about shipments of product. Tesla sales are lumpy, because they still batch their deliveries. Sometimes it'll look like sales are dismal and other times it'll be amazing, but the media and analysts will look for some other reason to explain the change besides production/shipping limitations.
That is my take as well -- mostly lumpy delivery schedule.

[MOD edit: fix quote tag]

I am comparing to the previous 3 quarter end deliveries, which were less than current Dec numbers. There was also a price change which likely helped the delivery size this quarter.

ETron sales, which were smoking hot early in the year have cooled. It feels like a 2 horse race in 2021 between ID3 and M3.

It is interesting that Leafs still do really well in Norway, selling essentially as many as they do in Japan or the US each month.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I am comparing to the previous 3 quarter end deliveries, which were less than current Dec numbers.
If Norway is like the USA in this respect, Q4 is the most active car sales quarter of the year, and that is not just Tesla.
I also get the impression that consumer confidence is rising now that Covid vaccines are starting to roll out.

SageBrush said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I am comparing to the previous 3 quarter end deliveries, which were less than current Dec numbers.
If Norway is like the USA in this respect, Q4 is the most active car sales quarter of the year, and that is not just Tesla.
I also get the impression that consumer confidence is rising now that Covid vaccines are starting to roll out.

Bingo, seasonality.

@ DougWantsALeaf, also there was the covid lockdown of various places around the world, including the Fremont factory, where they couldn't build any cars for a month. Despite Dec shaping up to look stellar, don't be surprised when Jan and Feb numbers look "low". And don't be surprised by the media reports that demand has been met and buyers are looking for newer models from legacy automakers. The more you learn about how news reports are re-cycled to suit the narrative of the quarter, the more jaded you'll become of the news. All that matters is:

- Does the model 3 meet your needs at the price you'd like to spend? If so, get it. If not, get something that does meet your needs.

Edit: Tesla will be supple constrained until all 4 factories are fully up and running.

Bjorn seeing about 2% degradation per year. This seems similar to the study Dave mentioned.

https://youtu.be/MCsTIV9BY2o

Sage, when you measure degradation, do you do it with scan my tesla?

Back