Nissan Ariya to be announced for the JDM July 15, 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't had a chance to watch more than a few seconds of https://insideevs.com/features/453986/video-nissan-ariya-electric-crossover-tour/.

DaveinOlyWA said:
side charging port...disappointing. Next
Agree. From my experience w/Bolt's driver's side fender port vs Leaf, I can safely say the center nose is best for most public and workplace charging in the US.

It cracks me up/annoys me when I see defenders on Bolt groups about the side port position and who deride the center nose position. I suspect they've never owned/leased a car with the inlet where Leaf has it. Most folks who have had a Leaf or other center nose inlet vehicles that have moved to Bolt agree with me.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Agree. From my experience w/Bolt's driver's side fender port vs Leaf, I can safely say the center nose is best for most public and workplace charging in the US.

It cracks me up/annoys me when I see defenders on Bolt groups about the side port position and who deride the center nose position. I suspect they've never owned/leased a car with the inlet where Leaf has it. Most folks who have had a Leaf or other center nose inlet vehicles that have moved to Bolt agree with me.

I can see their point. With EVgo's long cables, the port location doesn't really matter but with EA's shorter heavier cables, its a major issue. I don't see how people can put up with the hassle AND support it?

For me, even w/EVgo, it matters as I have to often decide where to park where it wouldn't have mattered on Leaf.

With EA for the site I've used, I do have to pick the right spot and direction on Bolt, otherwise the cable won't reach or I have to jut out of the parking spot. Given EA's new pricing, it's currently unlikely I will ever use EA now except if I go on a long-distance/road trip.

Yeah, EA's cables are very heavy and stiff. :(

The usual reasons for "justifying" a driver's side front fender inlet are:
- front end damage could make the car unable to charge - well, I've never seen ANY EV of any brand w/front end damage on the road.
- snow/ice clogs up the front - not a prob where I am but there was a reply where one guy side it was never a prob on his Leaf and IS a problem on his Bolt. I can't speak whether this is a prob on Leaf, but if so and Bolt doesn't have the problem, I guess I can agree with that...

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
Haven't had a chance to watch more than a few seconds of https://insideevs.com/features/453986/video-nissan-ariya-electric-crossover-tour/.

Couldn't help but notice that they wouldn't let him show the trunk "because there's stuff back there."

Why is there stuff in the press car?

Something weird is going on with the trunk space in this car.

The car that is being used for the long lead press articles is a very early prototype "roller" that does not run. The rear area probably isn't finished out either.

Per the video CATL sourced cells. I'd love to know the story behind that since I thought Nissan still has contractual obligations with its old factory, and for years it was presumed that Nissan was going to buy LG cells for the Ariya.

I've forgotten -- is it CATL that produces the cheap(er) LiFePO4 cells that Tesla also uses ? If so, it explains the loss of the frunk. Nissan needed more space for the less dense battery.

As the author of that article mentioned, the lack of any floor divider in front means the potential for stuff to roll or slide across and jam or block one of the pedals is a real concern. This is especially true if the pedals come up from the floor instead of hanging down. The Think City was like that, and I was very careful the week I drove it back in the '90s not to put anything on the passenger-side floor or seat that could move. I'm not a fan of this. It doesn't take much, just a narrow 2-3" tall divider to eliminate the problem.

In contrast, I do like a fold down or up to the side armrest between the front seats, as it makes front/rear access, especially with a flat floor, much easier. The Element had this. Naturally, you give up storage space.

Is there any more info on the cargo space question? As others have said, judging by the pictures alone, it seems impossible that the cargo space is only 14-16 cubic feet. But then again, Nissan has yet to answer the question, almost a full year later. To my knowledge, they also still aren't letting car journalists show pictures/video of the trunk? What's going on?

Kieran973 said:
Is there any more info on the cargo space question? As others have said, judging by the pictures alone, it seems impossible that the cargo space is only 14-16 cubic feet. But then again, Nissan has yet to answer the question, almost a full year later. To my knowledge, they also still aren't letting car journalists show pictures/video of the trunk? What's going on?

The Nissan Ariya offers 22.8 cubic feet of cargo space behind its rear seats and 59.7 cubic feet of space with these seats folded.
11_2022_nissan_ariya.jpg

Nissan Ariya EV: US arrival will be delayed to early 2022
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132481_nissan-ariya-ev-us-arrival-will-be-delayed-to-early-2022

For the US market, my sources tell me that the Ariya launch will be similar to the 2017 2nd Generation LEAF launch.

preview-928x522.jpg

Expect the formal announcement with first drives for the Media in the September/October time frame, and the customer order reservation system up and running then.

For JDM the first deliveries of a Launch Edition will be in the December time frame.

For the US market expect limited first deliveries in the beginning of Q2 CY 2022 assuming that the Smyrna plant production stays to plan. Cars will be starting to show up on Dealers lots in late-March/early April, in limited configurations. Expect the AWD eForce versions starting in Q3/CY22.

A combination of the Covid and supplier shutdowns, along with a reevaluation of the Ariya's feature sets compared to the current competition and internal Nissan issues is the cause of this schedule.

Here is some of the marketing info from Europe: http://horizon-by-nissanariya.europe.nissannews.com/horizon-nissan-ariya-english/

A JDM presentation of the Ariya launch "Limited" version. It's in Japanese. https://youtu.be/qYJ622MK_MI

And a JDM press release about the launch edition "Limited" trim: https://global.nissannews.com/en/releases/nissan-ariya-limited-edition-pre-orders-begins-in-japan

Back