Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Successfully set up Leaf Spy Pro v0.45.150 today on a 2019 SV Plus with this ODBII scan tool on a Pixel 2XL running Android 10:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE: I purchased the scan tool in 2013.

Android Auto works just fine while using Leaf Spy Pro.

Sorry if these issues have already been addressed but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Issue 1: LeafSpy Pro not connecting.
I have the recommended LELink OBDII device and my Android tablet shows it can see the device OK. When I start LeafSpy Pro it shows a connecting message with a "spinner" (really just alternates between / and \) at the bottom right of the screen and shows "LELink" in the bottom centre. But it fails to connect (I have waited over 5 minutes). It has worked in the past, so I'm not sure what's going wrong. I have tried clearing the application cache and forcing the application to stop; I have also tried a restart on the tablet all to no avail. Any ideas how to fix this? Is there a "right" sequence to do things, I have been doibng this: (1) plug in LELink, (2) turn on Leaf, (3) turn on tablet, (4) turn on Bluetooth and check LELINK device is seen, (5) start LeafSpy Pro.

Issue 2: On the two previous occasions I have connected successfully I get all the information screens, but the odometer reading is wrong (by a very large margin). What's going on?

Many thanks for any advice that can be offered.

BLevitan said:
Sorry if these issues have already been addressed but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Issue 1: LeafSpy Pro not connecting.
I have the recommended LELink OBDII device and my Android tablet shows it can see the device OK. When I start LeafSpy Pro it shows a connecting message with a "spinner" (really just alternates between / and \) at the bottom right of the screen and shows "LELink" in the bottom centre. But it fails to connect (I have waited over 5 minutes). It has worked in the past, so I'm not sure what's going wrong. I have tried clearing the application cache and forcing the application to stop; I have also tried a restart on the tablet all to no avail. Any ideas how to fix this? Is there a "right" sequence to do things, I have been doibng this: (1) plug in LELink, (2) turn on Leaf, (3) turn on tablet, (4) turn on Bluetooth and check LELINK device is seen, (5) start LeafSpy Pro.

Issue 2: On the two previous occasions I have connected successfully I get all the information screens, but the odometer reading is wrong (by a very large margin). What's going on?

Many thanks for any advice that can be offered.

Connection issues; unplug OBD, then reconnect.

Odo issues; go to settings enable CAN odo in miles.

Hi all,

I have a particular issue.
I`m using a good version of the konweii adaptor and a galaxy note 8, running android 9 i believe.

Loaded are the leafspy free and paid for leafspy pro app.

When i connect to the nissan leaf using the pro app, the connection drops out alll the time and reconnets... this is constant, maybe every 30 seconds.

When i connect to the leaf using the free leafspy app, it connects and stays connected, very stable.

Any idea how i can get around this to ensure the pro version connects and stays as stable as the standard free version.

Many thanks

Glyndwr1998 said:
Hi all,

I have a particular issue.
I`m using a good version of the konweii adaptor and a galaxy note 8, running android 9 i believe.

Loaded are the leafspy free and paid for leafspy pro app.

When i connect to the nissan leaf using the pro app, the connection drops out alll the time and reconnets... this is constant, maybe every 30 seconds.

When i connect to the leaf using the free leafspy app, it connects and stays connected, very stable.

Any idea how i can get around this to ensure the pro version connects and stays as stable as the standard free version.

Many thanks

I am guessing car is off when this happens? I have the same issues when the car is off, no issues if the car is on. I think the added complexity of Pro is the likely cause and I no no way to get around it. The other thing is my OBD times out and powers down. Guessing it takes its queue from the car and not the app.

hi Dave,

My leafspy pro is unstable with the car on or off to be honest.

I have a e-nv200 nissan electric van too that the same happens, so i`m pretty sure its a compatibility issue, was hoping someone could give info of maybe a set up change.

I use mostly the free version for everyday use, and only use the pro to read and erase codes (if needed)

Thanks for replying anyway buddy.

Glyndwr1998 said:
hi Dave,

My leafspy pro is unstable with the car on or off to be honest.

I have a e-nv200 nissan electric van too that the same happens, so i`m pretty sure its a compatibility issue, was hoping someone could give info of maybe a set up change.

I use mostly the free version for everyday use, and only use the pro to read and erase codes (if needed)

Thanks for replying anyway buddy.

Interesting. Konwei has had such a bad rep, hard to discount it but I would also look at the Android version. Version 9 is like ancient... When my LSP fails to load screens its always because an update is available. I normally run LSP on my spare phone which live in airplane mode most of the time so its not updated but somehow LSP still knows...

Somewhere, if you look in help, there is something about auto-shutoff for the LE-Link.
Maybe for your adapter, that needs to be disabled.

ClarD said:
Somewhere, if you look in help, there is something about auto-shutoff for the LE-Link.
Maybe for your adapter, that needs to be disabled.

In settings, there is a checkbox "LeLink^2 Zero Power Mode" but he isn't using that so...dk. I guess it wouldn't hurt to disable it to see if it does anything?

I have seen LeafSpy being used to capture the BMS serial number from a battery, but when I tried it, it was not appearing? Does my LeafSpy need updating?

My screen showing the Ecu serial numbers was not the same as Dalias, and did not show the BMS info. Could it have been that Dalia had Beta privileges?

silverbrewer said:
My screen showing the Ecu serial numbers was not the same as Dalias, and did not show the BMS info. Could it have been that Dalia had Beta privileges?

Ok, not understanding why serial numbers should be the same? You mean version numbers?

Yes, sorry! Version numbers. I am trying to interrogate the vans original 24 kWh BMS so I can fit a 30kwh BMS and have it work.
I am removing the 24kwh battery and replacing it with a set of 60 ah pouches configured 96S4P.
As they are NMC pouches, I am assuming that the BMS from a 30kwh Nissan battery will work better in the new system, which will in effect be exactly the same as the original Nissan system, just circa 85 kWh. It is a ENV200, and the battery is from an IPace. ENv200 has aircon derived battery pack cooling as standard

silverbrewer said:
Yes, sorry! Version numbers. I am trying to interrogate the vans original 24 kWh BMS so I can fit a 30kwh BMS and have it work.
I am removing the 24kwh battery and replacing it with a set of 60 ah pouches configured 96S4P.
As they are NMC pouches, I am assuming that the BMS from a 30kwh Nissan battery will work better in the new system, which will in effect be exactly the same as the original Nissan system, just circa 85 kWh. It is a ENV200, and the battery is from an IPace. ENv200 has aircon derived battery pack cooling as standard

Good luck. I think you have monumental challenges you have yet to encounter getting that done. Nissan's BMS seems to be very unfriendly to changes.

Just curious. Is LeafSpy Pro still actively supported? I ask as the IOS version 1.7.38 is now 2 years old. Anything new in the pipeline?

Also, are there any worthwhile feature differences with its Android cousin?

Skippy said:
Just curious. Is LeafSpy Pro still actively supported? I ask as the IOS version 1.7.38 is now 2 years old. Anything new in the pipeline?

Also, are there any worthwhile feature differences with its Android cousin?

:shock:

Android here and I get updates all the time. Last update was Oct 20th

EDIT; forgot, I am beta so that might make a difference but usually only means we get the updates before the regulars do...

Apologizes in advance for a really stupid question.....but do I need to do anything to update LSP? Does it auto update every time it starts when in wifi range, or is there a procedure I need to follow to update the app?

goldbrick said:
Apologizes in advance for a really stupid question.....but do I need to do anything to update LSP? Does it auto update every time it starts when in wifi range, or is there a procedure I need to follow to update the app?
I am not sure about automatic updates because I have my Android devices set to avoid automatic updates. Therefore, I go into Google Play Store and check for updates once in a while and then download like any other update. I am also a Beta tester, but believe the updates are released for general use after beta testers verify that there are no issues.

Thanks Gerry. I'll check out the app store. That reminds me, I used to get update messages all the time but I don't think I've got anything in over a year. I wonder if I somehow turned off updates as well, or maybe I set the phone to update without asking? I've worked with computers for a long time but I'm still pretty dumb when it comes to phones. I guess I should get up to speed a bit.

Back