oil spills and transport accidents

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

Train cars carrying crude oil derail and burn north of Seattle (12/23/20)
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/23/train-cars-carrying-crude-oil-derail-and-burn-north-of-seattle.html

I remember seeing a documentary on the below from 2013.
Lac-Megantic: The runaway train that destroyed a town
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42548824

That's what you get for blocking pipe line builds.
Towns and cities build up around the railroads, so the tracks go right through the middle of town.
Oil pipe lines run through the middle of nowhere, so a leak may go undetected for some time which sucks. Or a train load of oil can crash and burn a town to the ground.
Just because an oil pipe line gets blocked doesn't mean the oil stays in the ground, that's stupid childish thinking devoid of logic.
Cool story, those train loads of oil that go through Seattle go there because of a pipe line that got blocked. If the pipe line would have been built that oil would have been sent to Texas and Louisiana, where they actually want it.
Have fun with that.

Oilpan4 said:
That's what you get for blocking pipe line builds.
Towns and cities build up around the railroads, so the tracks go right through the middle of town.
Oil pipe lines run through the middle of nowhere, so a leak may go undetected for some time which sucks. Or a train load of oil can crash and burn a town to the ground.
Just because an oil pipe line gets blocked doesn't mean the oil stays in the ground, that's stupid childish thinking devoid of logic.
Cool story, those train loads of oil that go through Seattle go there because of a pipe line that got blocked. If the pipe line would have been built that oil would have been sent to Texas and Louisiana, where they actually want it.
Have fun with that.
Some people in my state have tried to block the Enbridge line 3 oil pipeline from Canada to Duluth MN. They wanted to replace the old existing pipeline for a couple of reasons, probably the driving force, at least for the company was for increased capacity but also the old line was beginning to reach it's end of life, the newer one would be built to new higher standards. The project was blocked for years and they were even forced to reroute it a longer distance around some sensitive land but some people still weren't happy(probably the ones driving large pickup trucks, no one drives EVs in these areas) I believe they've now started the project. Don't get me wrong, I'm still against the Polymet mine they want to put in northern MN near the BWCA but to replace an old probably failing oil pipeline with a modern one probably built to better standards is a no-brainer to me. Like you said the alternative would probably be tanker trucks on our highways going through small towns, I don't believe they have rail lines in these areas.

Back