Center console screen stuck on 12:00 and unresponsive steering wheel buttons?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndp1234

I purchased a new 2019 Leaf in October. I’ve been having a sporadic issue that usually happens when I remove the charger and then drive right after (although not always). I usually use a trickle charge and always press the release button before I release the charger.

The center console screen gets stuck on 12:00 and the steering wheel buttons don’t work at all. For example I cannot use the Siri button or access the phone book.

It’s weird because all the buttons work on the touchscreen center console - I just can’t use any of the steering wheel buttons and the time is stuck at 12:00. CarPlay works as expected. Anyone have a similar issue and know how I can try to fix it?

Ndp1234 said:
I purchased a new 2019 Leaf in October. I’ve been having a sporadic issue that usually happens when I remove the charger and then drive right after (although not always). I usually use a trickle charge and always press the release button before I release the charger.

The center console screen gets stuck on 12:00 and the steering wheel buttons don’t work at all. For example I cannot use the Siri button or access the phone book.

It’s weird because all the buttons work on the touchscreen center console - I just can’t use any of the steering wheel buttons and the time is stuck at 12:00. CarPlay works as expected. Anyone have a similar issue and know how I can try to fix it?

My 2019 Leaf developed this problem only after the radio/nav head was replaced under warrantee for an issue where the volume knob on the radio was erratic.

After the new nav/radio head was installed, the clock would freeze on the nav display and all steering wheel buttons became non-responsive. It was intermittent. Before it was resolved, unfortunately we were t-boned by a uninsured driver and the Leaf was totaled.

The volume control knob has recently become erratic on my 2019 SL Plus. So far, the steering wheel buttons always respond to control the volume and other functions. I had the center console reset itself yesterday after starting the car--it seemed normal and then I opened the door to get out and check something in the yard. When I returned to the car, the navigation unit had reset itself and was loudly playing an FM station even though it was on a Sirius XM news channel at a low volume when I got out. After turning the volume down and assessing the situation, I determined that presets were still saved, but home, work, and other destination locations saved in the navigation system had been cleared. Both Bluetooth and WiFi connection settings were deleted and time was reset. I placed the car in reverse to back out of the driveway and noticed a blue screen instead of the camera display. After driving a few miles to my workshop, I noticed the time had corrected itself. The camera system functioned normally when I tested it after parking. I went through menus reprogramming everything such as screen brightness and map preferences and it seems to be working OK now--will wait until it happens again before taking any action with Nissan.

If your console screen is still locked and unresponsive, I suggest that you either disconnect/reconnect the 12V battery or remove/reinstall fuses to cycle power to the navigation system (there are probably 2 fuses, but I have not checked the service manual in detail).

Back