California retail H2 fuel stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GCC:
Shell, Toyota and Honda plan expansion of hydrogen refueling network in California

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/09/20200911-shell.html

On 4 September 2020, the California Energy Commission (CEC) posted a Notice of Proposed Award outlining subsidies to support hydrogen refueling infrastructure in California. Equilon Enterprises LLC (d/b/a Shell Oil Products US), hereafter referred to as Shell Hydrogen, participated as an applicant in the related Grant Funding Opportunity (GFO) and was awarded $40.8 million, subject to formal approval at a future CEC Business Meeting. (Earlier post.)

If successful, Shell Hydrogen will install hydrogen refueling equipment at 48 existing Shell retail stations, upgrade two current Shell Hydrogen stations and add light-duty fueling dispensers and positions at one existing Shell Hydrogen heavy-duty truck station.

Further, Toyota and Honda have agreed to expand Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) sales in California in support of these Shell Hydrogen stations. . . .

With the state of California on fire from one end to the other, hydrogen is probably not the best idea for them.

GCC:
California Energy Commission approves plan to invest up to $115M for hydrogen fueling infrastructure; 111 new stations by 2027

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/12/20201209-ceco2.html

. . . The funding nearly doubles the state’s investments to date and will help California nearly achieve its goal to deploy 200 public hydrogen fueling stations. . . .

Under the plan, up to 111 new hydrogen fueling stations will be built in the state by 2027, including many designed for multi-use by passenger vehicles, trucks and buses. Total project funding is subject to annual approval of both the state budget and allocations from the CEC.

To date, the CEC has funded 45 open retail hydrogen stations with an additional 16 under construction. Altogether with today’s approved plan, there could be up to 179 stations in the state, including seven privately funded stations.

Commissioners awarded three grants totaling nearly $25 million for the installation of the first 30 stations under the plan. More than half of the stations approved today will be built in or near disadvantaged communities.

Irvine-based FirstElement Fuel, Inc., received $15.5 million.

San Francisco-based Equilon Enterprises (doing business as Shell Oil Products U.S.) received $7.3 million.

Santa Clara-based Iwatani Corporation of America, received $1.9 million.

First Element Fuel also received $5 million from the Volkswagen (VW) Environmental Mitigation Trust, a nationwide program that provides funding for states to mitigate the excess NOx emissions caused by VW’s use of illegal emissions testing defeat devices in their diesel vehicles. . . .

GCR:
Another fuel-cell outage hampers Bay Area fuel-cell drivers

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ell-outage-hampers-bay-area-fuel-cell-drivers

. . . Outlets in California appear to be buying the hydrogen from Air Products, which produces it in Louisiana and Texas, primarily for use by petroleum refineries. According to Air Products, Hurricane Zeta damaged the electrical supply to an important liquid hydrogen supply facility back when it made landfall October 28.

Air Products must have had enough of a buffer built up, because it didn’t put out an alert about the damage until November 18. On December 2—about the time reports of an outage first reached Green Car Reports’ desk—the company said that “the temporary impacts of this event may be more noticeable in Northern California,” anticipating the facility to be back “onstream” by December 7.

As of December 17, that facility was finally back producing hydrogen. “We anticipate gradually increasing supply levels at most Northern California fueling stations over the next few days and expect supply levels to resume to normal by December 23,” said Air Products, in a statement. “Until then, we continue to recommend that drivers check on the status of their selected fueling station prior to departing to fuel. . . .”

California Fuel Cell Partnership spokesperson Keith Malone reminded Green Car Reports that the newer stations that are opening have at least six times the hydrogen capacity of stations that opened in the 2014-2016 period.

“Not only are they larger, but the price has dropped about 25%,” he said. “As such, these kinds of supply and distribution issues will fade into the background over time.”

With hydrogen from a proposed plant in Lancaster, California, aiming to produce cost-competitive green hydrogen from renewable energy by 2023, the days of hurricanes affecting hydrogen supply might soon be over, but trucking it around looks like a continued part of the plan.

I've lived in six different MUDs in those 8 years. I found a way to charge in each of them. I also had workplace charging available at three different employers. But hey, I'm sure you'll move the goalposts, somehow.

JeremyW said:
I've lived in six different MUDs in those 8 years. I found a way to charge in each of them. I also had workplace charging available at three different employers. But hey, I'm sure you'll move the goalposts, somehow.

Good for you, you're very fortunate. But what about the 44% of U S. households which, according to a Plug-in America survey done a few years back, can't charge at home? I've walked around several of the nearby MUDs, and only ones of them has a (single) exterior 120V dual outlet, near the parking lot. Otherwise, If you happen to live above your carport you might be able to drop an extension cord down.

I also know two detached houses that also use 120V extension cords out a window, presumably because they rent. Do you think they all have access to workplace charging, given the small % of employers, mainly in white collar jobs, who have that?

BTW and purely anecdotal, but last night as I was walking home from the grocery store, there was a guy in a Mirai pulling into a parking place to use a bank ATM, so I asked him if he'd had any problems with fuel shortages. There's a (True Zero) station about 1.5 miles away that he presumably uses, and three other stations within about 15 miles. FWIW, he said he hadn't noticed any problems. I don't doubt there was a shortage, but he at least wasn't affected. Still, we can't be so dependent on such a limited number of suppliers.

My god, not even subtle.

Three paragraphs about how this EV tech can’t work, and some antidotes about electrical cords and some dude with a Miri that “hasn’t had any issues”.

I guess my point is, actually living with this tech really makes you see how some things are just... strange. Leaving your house (or work) to go out of the way to fuel feels strange, once you have the option to fuel where your car already parks. But, I guess you wouldn’t know that, despite being on this forum for a number of years and having posted thousands of times, despite not owning a leaf or any EV for that matter.

But hey, the fuel cell threads won’t pop up to the top of the active topics on their own, right? Gotta keep linking articles to keep a glimmer of hope (some might say it’s actually meant to be a bit of shade on this whole BEV thing) and rebutting those who call out the challenges, physical problems, fuel shortages, lack of vehicle models, missed timelines, millions of state and federal money burned, and on and on... I mean if someone doesn’t champion for hydrogen on a Nissan Leaf forum, who will?!?

Yeah agreed, fuel cell is pretty much dead.
By the time fuel cell and hydrogen tech is ready to go for automotive use batteries will make it obsolete at least for personal vehicle applications.

JeremyW said:
Very few Apt renters want an EV so for now GRA is manufacturing a "problem." When that changes, MUD owners and workplaces will install EV charging. It really is that simple.

But sure, for giggles let's ignore the costs of fuel cell cars, their maintenance costs, their fueling costs, and just act like it is only a matter of fueling stations. Half the population already have charging at home, and another fraction have charging at work or where they shop. The better question then is how much does it cost to supply the remainder (when they want to purchase an EV) ? Well, it costs ~ 2M USD for one hydrogen fueling station that can supply two cars at a time. Practicality suggests a station should be within two miles of the car home or work location. How many MUDs can be incentivized to install EV charging ? I'll guess $2k USD is more than enough, so 1000 MUDS or workplaces per $2M. If each MUD or workplace services 10 EVs then 10,000 EVs. That works out to a marginal electric infrastructure cost of $200 per EV. Since ~ 2/3 of EVs have alternative arrangements already, we are talking about a national opportunity cost of 200/3 = $67 per EV to complete the transition to clean mobility via BEV.

Now lets compare to a retail hydrogen fueling build-out. For a start, I'll presume that CA would want to replace its fossil stations with hydrogen. They have 1E4 locations, so 1E4*$2E6 = $20 BILLION USD. If we figure 15E6 vehicles in CA then the cost is 2/15* E10*E-6 = $1,333 per vehicle. This is a vast under-estimate of cost because the average retail gasoline location has a much higher capacity than the above stated $2M hydrogen station. I'll guesstimate *at least* a 2:1 difference in capacity so now the H2 retail fueling locations cost is up to $2,666 per H2 car in a complete transition. But it is NOT a complete transition -- those 2/3 to 3/4 of the population who conveniently and cheaply drive EVs want nothing to do with funding H2 fueling stations so the cost for the GRAs of the country (presuming they are every non-BEV in the country) quadruples to at least $10,000 -- just to have refueling availability.

Insanity, you say ? It gets much worse. That ~ 1/4 of the car owning population who find BEV inconvenient are overall the least able money wise to fund the infrastructure but GRA would hang a $10,000 tax on them in order to refuel ... on top of the cost of the car and its fuel. All in the pursuit of using ~ 2.5x the electricity energy needed for equivalent BEV usage.

SageBrush said:
Very few Apt renters want an EV so for now GRA is manufacturing a "problem." When that changes, MUD owners will install EV charging. It really is that simple.

Mostly true.

New high end apartments are already providing charging for residents.

Consider that the outlet for charging is similar cost to an electric dryer hookup. Most apartments, other than the cheapest, provide washer and dryer hookup in the apartment. Many of the cheapest provide coin operated washer/dryers. The very very cheapest don't provide any of this. Or very very old/historic.

How does GRA wash and dry his shirts?

Long enough term, I'd expect most apartments to provide charging as part of rent, at least at the outlet level, with perhaps a charge for electric power. The cheaper ones will provide pay by the hour or kWh charging. Yes, there will be a few that don't get any charging or for that matter parking.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
GRA is manufacturing a "problem." When that changes, MUD owners will install EV charging. It really is that simple.

Mostly true.

Consider that the outlet for charging is similar cost to an electric dryer hookup. Most apartments, other than the cheapest, provide washer and dryer hookup in the apartment. Many of the cheapest provide coin operated washer/dryers. The very very cheapest don't provide any of this. Or very very old/historic.

How does GRA wash and dry his shirts?

Long enough term, I'd expect most apartments to provide charging as part of rent, at least at the outlet level, with perhaps a charge for electric power. The cheaper ones will provide pay by the hour or kWh charging. Yes, there will be a few that don't get any charging or for that matter parking.

What's being ignored is the reason "Very few Apt renters want an EV (so) for now" - it's because they don't have anywhere to charge (price and range are the other major factors). Even here in the U.S., 40% of the population lives in MUDs. Elsewhere the percentage is higher. That lack of charging infrastructure is cited in every survey as one of the top three or four reasons people haven't gotten a PEV isn't manufacturing a problem, it's recognizing that it is one that must be solved before PEVs generally and BEVs especially will be acceptable to the majority of consumers.

As apartments, condos and townhomes tend to be located in urban areas where distances are shorter (and pollution's worse), PEVs are most potentially valuable to MUD dwellers, absent better urban design and high quality public transit. That the problem will eventually be solved in the long-term as new MUDs are built with charging isn't going to be adequate to solve the critical need in the short- and medium-term, as housing stock tends to last for a century, which is why we need QCs at places like grocery and drug stores, fast food restaurants, etc., and lots more L2 at workplaces where installing it tends to be less expensive, so that MUD dwellers can see PEVs as a practical option.

As to how I wash and dry my shirts, electric washing machine and a clothesline. I do share the washer and a (gas) dryer with the main house, although I don't use the latter, and in any case the dual outlet in the garage/laundry room is occupied by the L1 plugs for the washer and dryer. Charging from either would require an extension cord, as well as inconvenience on the part of both of us to plug and unplug, given our differing schedules. And since both are coin-operated, feeding money into one and losing it because it's unplugged would quickly lead to neighbor warfare. :roll: My other option is an L1 extension cord from my place out a door or window. not an option during the (gas) heating season.

Just to check my memory, I walked over last night to the one MUD in my neighborhood with a (dual) outdoor outlet. The apartment and its parking span the area between two side streets, so there's parking lots on both sides, 14 spaces one side and 7 on the other. 7 of the spaces are in carports with apartments over them, so if the spaces correspond to the apartments you could theoretically use an extension cord and charge L1, assuming you were willing to leave the window open during the heating season (gas, almost certainly). The one outlet is in one of the carports, and assuming it's wired as 20A total, you could charge 2 cars at a max. of 8A each, so at most 9 of 21 spaces, but really just 7.

The remaining spaces are too far away and SoL, as are all those cars which park on the street. And this is the MUD with the best[/b] charging opportunities in my neighborhood. The rest have essentially zero options, not even an extension cord out a window.

I haven't lived in an MUD for a couple of decades, but as a general rule you're limited to jury-rigged L1, and you're lucky if you've got that. Barring requiring landlords to undertake expensive retrofits for charging, which would be a political lead balloon even here at least for now, we can't afford to wait until new MUDs with charging facilities replace all the existing stock, so we need options to make ZEVs practical for all much sooner: lots more QCs and workplace L2s, and/or FCEVs. I don't see bio/synfuels playing a major role given their likely very limited production, but they'd obviously be easiest given existing infrastructure.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
I haven't lived in an MUD for a couple of decades, but as a general rule you're limited to jury-rigged L1, and you're lucky if you've got that. Barring requiring landlords to undertake expensive retrofits for charging, which would be a political lead balloon even here at least for now, we can't afford to wait until new MUDs with charging facilities replace all the existing stock, so we need options to make ZEVs practical for all much sooner: lots more QCs and workplace L2s, and/or FCEVs. I don't see bio/synfuels playing a major role given their likely very limited production, but they'd obviously be easiest given existing infrastructure.

The world has changed.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/138970

https://www.plugshare.com/location/146905

(Coming soon) https://www.plugshare.com/location/207451

https://www.plugshare.com/location/253476

https://www.plugshare.com/location/265547

https://www.plugshare.com/location/265772

https://www.plugshare.com/location/162892

https://www.plugshare.com/location/221909

https://www.plugshare.com/location/47340

Sure, not a majority, Sure, more newer and higher end. But rather better than a jury-rigged L1.

Remember a real L1 is about as expensive as the plug for your washer.

Oh, and there is a "luxury apartment" complex with optional reserved EV charging spots somewhere in North Seattle. I used to know someone that lived there. And paid #150 a month for a reserved spot in a parking garage with a charger. That's only $50 more than a reserved spot without a charger.

A few more, found with just a DuckDuckGo search.

https://novoseattle.com/#amenities

https://www.equityapartments.com/seattle/south-lake-union/mark-on-8th-apartments

https://www.theolivianapts.com/amenities.aspx

This one has L1 charging in parts of the garage. Not ideal, for sure, but many people that's enough, or almost enough.

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/washington/bellevue-apartments/avalon-towers-bellevue

https://www.udr.com/seattle-apartments/redmond/milehouse/amenities/

In 2014 this was a hard problem. Now, you got some options. In 10 years? I'd guess a majority, even without a mandate.

^^^ The world hasn't changed anywhere near quickly enough, given the scale of the problem. See
California Won’t Achieve Its New Zero-Emission Vehicle Goal Until Multi-Unit Dwellers Can Access Electric Vehicle Charging

for the scale required and problems involved:

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.forbes.com/sites/energyinnovation/2020/09/28/california-wont-achieve-its-new-zero-emission-vehicle-goal-until-multi-unit-dwellers-can-access-ev-charging/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16089540359109&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fenergyinnovation%2F2020%2F09%2F28%2Fcalifornia-wont-achieve-its-new-zero-emission-vehicle-goal-until-multi-unit-dwellers-can-access-ev-charging%2F

. . . Roughly 90% of California’s chargers are located at homes overall, but as few as 18% are located at multi-unit dwellings (MUDs). Nearly 50% of Californians live in MUDs, meaning the state urgently needs policies to scale EV charging access to all residents. . . . .

But while California has the nation’s largest EV market, home charging access still drives many EV purchase or lease decisions. Equity is core to this challenge, as many MUD residents live in disadvantaged communities or at low- and moderate-income levels. Electric mobility solutions must reach all Californians, not just those with an easier path to EV adoption. . . .

Existing MUDs present unique EV charging challenges. Electrical upgrades at older MUDs can be costly, especially when they require trenching to lay wiring. Installing EV charging at existing MUDs can also trigger building code requirements in ways unrelated to EV charging, making a project financially infeasible, while utility interconnection approval can add cost and hassle.

In addition, property owners often get little to no return on EV charging investments, even if they are low cost, because those who pay utility bills are different from those who make capital investments. This split incentive complicates either party justifying the investment.

Many MUDs have assigned parking, making equal charging challenging without installing chargers at each parking stall – likely a cost-prohibitive option. Installing charging infrastructure in common areas or shared parking may be easier, but is less reliable if chargers are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Where space is limited, charging spaces might compete with parking spaces, partly because California differentiates parking spaces from charging spaces. As the state’s vehicle fleet converts to electric, this will become a larger sticking point as chargers are required in more spaces. . . .

Despite growing awareness of the need to serve MUD populations, consumer interest remains relatively low, and customers rarely consider the possibility of EV ownership without ready charging access. Other building improvements or repairs may also be higher priorities for residents or building managers, including those that save money, increase comfort, or improve indoor air quality. With limited budgets, EV chargers likely fall lower on the list of priority improvements. . . .

And so on. They propose solutions, but they won't be easy or quick.

GRA said:
^^^ The world hasn't changed anywhere near quickly enough, given the scale of the problem.

1% 2% 4% 8% 16% 32% 64% and to get to 100% we needed a lot of apartment charging. Each doubling taking 2-3 years. Oh, and probably slower than that due to the fact that it will take another decade or two to get most ICEs off the road.

L1 is probably good enough for most.

Sure, is an issue. Molehill sized. Not mountain sized.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
^^^ The world hasn't changed anywhere near quickly enough, given the scale of the problem.

1% 2% 4% 8% 16% 32% 64% and to get to 100% we needed a lot of apartment charging. Each doubling taking 2-3 years. Oh, and probably slower than that due to the fact that it will take another decade or two to get most ICEs off the road.

L1 is probably good enough for most.

Sure, is an issue. Molehill sized. Not mountain sized.

If you consider providing home charging for almost half of California's population of nearly 40 million sometime in the next 15-30 years* to be a molehill-sized problem, allow me to offer you a great deal on the Golden Gate Bridge.

*The state plans to ban ICE sales in 2035, and we want to hit net-zero carbon by 2045. And of course there's the rest of the country as well.

GRA said:
*The state plans to ban ICE sales in 2035,
This is only for new ICEVs in California, not existing used ones. I'm looking at the order now for the first time (https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/9.23.20-EO-N-79-20-Climate.pdf on page 2).

Frankly, I don't think it's going to happen. It's too aggressive in too short a timeline. There will be too much pushback from many parties (e.g. oil companies, refiners, gas station owners, auto industry, electric utilities, general public esp those who can't charge at home and/or work, etc.) When it came out, I was too busy to dig into this much let alone comment.

I suspect it will be made a more achievable target (e.g. 50% of new passenger cars and trucks sold/leased in CA must be ZEVs by 2035) and/or the deadline will be pushed out further. The previous CA ZEV mandate (WAY before I was following any of this) that resulted in the GM EV1, gen 1 Rav4 EV, etc. got scaled down BIG time.

The H2 vehicle rollout in CA has been a joke. Look at Mirai numbers at https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12/chevrolet-bolt-ev-sales-numbers-figures-results-third-quarter-2020-q3/. Clarity numbers there are muddied since it includes EV (discontinued), PHEV and FCEV numbers.

I found https://abcnews.go.com/Business/hydrogen-fuel-cell-vehicles-future-autos/story?id=74583475 says "Honda has only sold 1,617 Clarity Fuel Cell vehicles in nearly four years and the company is "pursuing multiple ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) pathways" in an effort to reduce CO2 emissions, a spokesperson said."

Looks like there were about 2 million new light vehicle registrations in CA in 2019.

As for "providing home charging for almost half of California's population of nearly 40 million" or whatever, if you exclude those who are too young to drive, many able-bodied CA resident adults may not have an automobile. I have an uncle in my city who lives with two aunts. AFAIK, the aunts have no driver's license. A co-worker who lived in the city of SF (she moved to WA state) had no car. Her BF that she lived with had a car though. Another co-worker who lives in the city of SF also had no car until maybe a month or two ago. She recently began leasing some Audi SUV (Q5, I think, likely just an ICEV).

I had two former co-workers + another still working for us who lived in the city of SF. I have no idea if they could charge at home but they only had ICEVs that they usually never drove to work. They took free company shuttles to/from. If they had a long enough range EV, they could drive it to work and charge L2 charge at work for free. And, there's a Tesla 72 kW urban Supercharger site near work + plenty of Tesla and non-Tesla DC FCing choices between work and SF.

I graduated from a well-known university in California over 300 miles away. I had no car for most of the years I was there. There wasn't anywhere near enough parking on-campus for those living in on-campus housing. You had a better chance of getting a (costly) parking permit if you had an off-campus job or were say a junior or senior. Almost everyone living in on-campus housing had no car.

GRA said:
If you consider providing home charging for almost half of California's population of nearly 40 million sometime in the next 15-30 years* to be a molehill-sized problem, allow me to offer you a great deal on the Golden Gate Bridge.

*The state plans to ban ICE sales in 2035, and we want to hit net-zero carbon by 2045. And of course there's the rest of the country as well.

Ever live some place very cold? Where plug-ins for car block heaters are common at apartments, grocery stores and such?

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8605937,-114.0037733,3a,15y,230.06h,83.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4taI5IpKVUKtsY5hhPbADQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I know what those gray boxes are. I was plugging in in the 1970's. This is not a mountain sized problem.

As for a complete ban of ICE sales in 2035? Not realistic. Not because of urban apartment charging. Because of rural people.

Back