any body with real leaf driving experience? what's it like?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradford

has anyone actually driven the leaf or maybe it's prototype? what's it like?
does it coast like an ice, or do you have to constantly apply to the accelerator so it doesn't slow down too fast?
any experience driving over city speeds?
:?: thanks, tom

Nobody outside of Nissan has driven a production-intent Leaf.

There are tons of mule test drives on YouTube - just search for Nissan Leaf. I haven't seen any unhappy reactions to the mule drives. The mule cars don't have regen or any of the fancy electronics, and they're smaller overall (Versa-based), but otherwise they're much the same.

mwalsh said:
Bicster said:
Nobody outside of Nissan has driven a production-intent Leaf.

Martin has driven the closest to yet. It did have regen.....he comments about it in the blog.

He also mentioned quite a lot of stuff it didn't have. Otherwise he didn't really have much to say about the whole experience.

Martin was actually just a passenger, not quite the same as actually driving it.

"Today I had an opportunity to get a ride in a prototype of the Nissan Leaf. Because it was a prototype I was not allowed to drive myself. But I must say – being in the passenger seat was an amazing experience."

I drove the Nissan Leaf test vehicle twice in early January. It is a great car. Good acceleration. I would guess that 0-60 would be around 10 seconds. I have heard 9 and 13 from Nissan sources. The course was not long enough to reach 60 mph. I did accelerate to 60 kph (metric meter). Braking (regeneration) is automatic when coasting, but it felt the same as an ICE with an automatic. When the brake pedal was used, it was very smooth and appropriate for the pressure.

Very stable and steering was ideal. The low center of gravity makes it feel like a sports car with no roll. Very quiet. I do not remember more than tire noise.

I am an engineer and very critical of products. I was ready to write a check on the spot.

There are a few mules around, and they all appear to have slightly different characteristics. The one I drove didn't have regenerative braking whereas others do.

I'm told I'll get my test drive with the rest of the automotive journalists in the UK in around a month's time. I'll keep you posted.

I'm told I'll be driving a production vehicle in the UK fairly shortly. I'm hoping to have it for at least 24 hours so that I can do a number of tests including an economy and environmental efficiency test similar to the one I carried out with the Mitsubishi i-MiEV in January.

I'll let you know when I know more.

MikeBoxwell said:
I'm told I'll be driving a production vehicle in the UK fairly shortly. I'm hoping to have it for at least 24 hours so that I can do a number of tests including an economy and environmental efficiency test similar to the one I carried out with the Mitsubishi i-MiEV in January.
You're going to get quite a few questions - perhaps you would be willing to start a new thread? Something like "Driving a production Leaf on XX - what do you want asked/tested/looked at" Off the top of my head, these are some of the questions I've seen people asking/wondering about:

• When is the regen braking engaged? Does it apply some when the "go pedal" is lifted but before the "stop pedal" is pushed down? How does the transition feel between regen and friction braking?
  • How is the "B" driving mode engaged, how is it indicated on the dash, and how does driving with that 'feel'?
  • You've already touched on it, but range is a huge question/concern, so any tests you can do with that, including blasting the AC and heater, would be appreciated.
  • Any details about all dash/console buttons - there have been some speculation about what's there and what they do
  • I recently saw a thread noticing a huge "plug" where a key would normally go on the steering column - is that really there?

That's just a start, there's certainly more questions. If you're up for it the community here would really appreciate it.

When I know more, I will most certainly set up a new thread and we'll take it from there. At this stage I don't even know how long I'll be able to keep hold of the car for: obviously what I can do with a quick drive around the block is entirely different to using the car properly for a few days. I'll keep everyone posted.

Back