Curbed RF Wheel - now facing expensive repair

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted member 3391

Hi, all, I tried to avoid hitting a squirrel and ended up curbing my right front wheel and destroying my Michelin tire. I didn't think the damage was that bad - but I bent a lot of hardware and it's going to far exceed what my 2012 SL Leaf is worth with 58,000 plus miles. By far the most expensive part is this -

48001-3NA0D GEAR & LI 0 2873.72 RF INNER TIE ROD CANNOT GET INNER TIE ROD SEPARATE 1 $ 2873.72 $ 2873.72

which I guess means that they need the inner tie rod but they cannot get just the one thing they need - they have to take the whole shebang which is nearly $3k! Does this make sense to someone who is knowledgeable about such matters with Leaf parts? I want to believe them, but I certainly don't want to be taken for a three thousand dollar ride.

Thanks!

See if the Juke uses the same parts. I would also call a few salvage yards and ask if they have and will sell these parts - preferably from a lower mileage Leaf.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Leaf-Manual-Steering-Rack-And-Pinion-48001-3NA0D-OEM-11-12-2012-2011/333803380243?epid=1522246530&hash=item4db83b5e13:g:Sd4AAOSw5c5fv9Oa

Amazing find - many thanks! But will Nissan's service people accept me bringing a used part for them to install? I guess it's certainly worth a try. :?

You will likely have to find an independent mechanic who works on Leafs. Still, given the enormous cost of buying the parts new...? Maybe if you offered the dealership more than they quoted for labor only...

fsu77gt said:
But will Nissan's service people accept me bringing a used part for them to install? I guess it's certainly worth a try. :?

Almost certainly not And I'd guess many independent shops won't do it either but there is nothing special about replacing a steering rack in a Leaf and if you look around I'm sure you can find a good shop that will do the work. They will probably insist that they won't insure the part but that's expected when using used parts.

goldbrick said:
but there is nothing special about replacing a steering rack in a Leaf and if you look around I'm sure you can find a good shop that will do the work. They will probably insist that they won't insure the part but that's expected when using used parts.
That was my thought also. IIRC the repair manual for the LEAF is available. It sure would not hurt to see if any LEAF specific steps are involved.

Tangentially, why is this part LEAF specific (if it is) ?

Goto a good independent shop, rack and pinion , tie rod, wheel all off rockauto ~ $600 + tire $750. Maybe the shop could break free the tie rod and the rack isn't damaged, worth a second opinion ? Good luck keep us posted.

Super expensive parts for the LEAF suspension has come up in the past. It would be very interesting to know why and whether 'close enough' replacement parts can be substituted. After all, even accelerated tyre wear might be acceptable in a LEAF that sees relatively little use.

This older thread may help: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23510

Back