2020 vs. 2021 Leaf SL Plus comparison

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

Can someone either list or point me to a website to explain the difference between the 2020 and 2021 Leaf SL Plus?
My lease expires in Sept. 2021. My dealer contacted me about taking my car back and putting me in a 2020, not a 2021, so want to find out the differences. thanks.

There is another thread on this topic, somewhere in these forums. The short version - nothing significant has changed, it's the same car.

You may want to see if "auto recirculate" (called partial recirculate here) in floor + defrost mode has returned on the 2021, because it is gone on the 2020.

goldbrick said:
2021 specs are easy to find on nissan.com
That's not the right site. There was a domain squabble so nissanusa.com and nissannews.com are the often used domains for Nissan USA.

Leaf press kits below:
https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-bc5df8c40e6e686b4db9c27c7b0385ab-2020-nissan-leaf-press-kit
https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2021-nissan-leaf-press-kitLeaf

One can go to the specs tab.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31717 is a 2021 thread...

cwerdna said:
goldbrick said:
2021 specs are easy to find on nissan.com
That's not the right site. There was a domain squabble so nissanusa.com and nissannews.com are the often used domains for Nissan USA.
Calling it a domain squabble is somewhat demeaning? Nissan Motor tried to steal the guy's domain name (https://www.digest.com/Big_Story.php). This was a big win in domain name disputes where the "big guy" with lots of legal muscle tried to squash the little guy.

Sorry. I never looked into the details or frankly was really interested in the dispute/battles. Was mainly trying to make a quick correction as to the proper web site to visit since nissan.com is not the right place to look for info on Nissan vehicles. I do have a day job that keeps me busy.

I also am not a lawyer and am also unclear about what https://www.dbllawyers.com/can-lose-trademark-rights-dont-sue-infringers/ points out
There is a great deal of uncertainty in the courts with respect to the effect on one’s trademark rights of a failure to prosecute infringers. Some courts maintain that it makes no difference whatsoever. Other courts have concluded that the failure to prosecute can result in the abandonment or loss of trademark rights. And still others have found a middle ground in holding that the failure to prosecute can reduce the strength of a mark but not result in total abandonment.

Hi, there is a big change between 2020 vs 2021 Leaf and that is 2021 costs $200 more. That's it!
Nissan gives up on the leaf.
Dual motor, com'on, it's been 10 years, nope
Dump Chadamo for CCS, nope
Littel tweaks to gain few miles, nope
Little acceleration boost, nope
Ok, fine. How about just a new exciting color, nope

queuetee said:
Hi, there is a big change between 2020 vs 2021 Leaf and that is 2021 costs $200 more. That's it!

Thanks
Seems like even the Plus version is on the low end of many EV cars out there now.
You have to wonder if the Leaf is end of life given the Arriya coming next year.

Baltneu said:
queuetee said:

Thanks
Seems like even the Plus version is on the low end of many EV cars out there now, in terms of mileage.
You have to wonder if the Leaf is end of life given the Arriya coming next year.

Baltneu said:
Baltneu said:
queuetee said:

Thanks
Seems like even the Plus version is on the low end of many EV cars out there now, in terms of mileage.

The way Nissan treats the Leaf 2021 looks like Leaf is end of life. Looks like Nissan put everything in Ariya, it's a great good looking SUV. The problem here is it won't be available by 2022. In the meantime, Nissan keeps losing EV market share since many EVs are coming out. Even with Ariya, Nissan will face tough competition, BMW, Benz, VW, Ford, GM all will have their EVs available in 2022. Not to mention the king of EVs, Tesla. Oh well, let see. If people starting to switch to EVs soon, then the market is big enough for all of the companies above. If not, man, they will have a tough time competing.
I think every company is loosing money on EVs but Tesla, but they have to do it since it's the future. Just look at Wallstreet reward EVs stock.
TSLA, NIO. NIO is a startup 3 years old company, last year, it sold less than 40K cars vs GM sold 8 million cars, NIO market cap 90 billion, GM is 60 billion. NIO is the 3rd biggest carmaker in the world in term of value(market cap), just behind Tesla and Toyota. NIO is bigger than Daimler, BMW, VW of the world. It's mind-boggling if you think about it. Clearly, people think EV is the future, noone believes in ICE anymore. The problem I see with traditional ICE makers is they can't focus 100% on EV vs pure-play EV like TSLA and NIO since they still need to put the other half on ICE. When you don't focus 100% on something, you likely to lose the guy that focuses 100%. We saw it happened with the retail industry (sears, jcpenny, macys and ect..) vs Online. Blockbuster vs Netflix. Those failed companies tried to preserve their legacy business while trying venture to new business, at the end, they failed. I don't know how ICE makers are trying preserve their ICE business, but history shows that they will have a tough time succeeding.

Nissan was the one that started mass-produce EVs, Nissan was the one who brought EVs to people first, even before Tesla Model S. Too bad it could not take advantage of being the first mover.

Just like PC in the 80s. IBM started PC, but it got taken over by Microsoft, Intel, Compaq....

I find it (sadly) funny: when they fixed the degradation problem (in normal climates, at least) Nissan made the Leaf into what for me and some others is a great car. The performance is more than adequate for us, as is the range of both our SL and SV+. The comfort far exceeds that of any other car we've driven. If I could afford to buy my car off-lease, and had a way to swap out the leather seats, I'd do it, despite the crash damage. (The damage was virtually all to the door, and the door was replaced.) My only complaint is that my car has a marginal radar unit that shuts down in cold, damp weather, and the dealer can't find a code stored to trigger a replacement. It's great that EVs are evolving and improving, but our Leafs are just fine, especially at the price we are paying for the SV+, with $11k+ in discounts. We (or my housemate, if I'm gone) will likely buy the car when the lease ends. We don't want a Tesla, don't want a Bolt (although I was serious about leasing one as a second car when my lease ends, if they offer Fire Sale (so to speak) leases on the NOS cars sitting on lots) and we don't want some new EV with teething problems and less comfort. I guess that we're the Buick drivers of the EV world...

LeftieBiker said:
I find it (sadly) funny: when they fixed the degradation problem (in normal climates, at least) Nissan made the Leaf into what for me and some others is a great car. The performance is more than adequate for us, as is the range of both our SL and SV+. The comfort far exceeds that of any other car we've driven. If I could afford to buy my car off-lease, and had a way to swap out the leather seats, I'd do it, despite the crash damage. (The damage was virtually all to the door, and the door was replaced.) My only complaint is that my car has a marginal radar unit that shuts down in cold, damp weather, and the dealer can't find a code stored to trigger a replacement. It's great that EVs are evolving and improving, but our Leafs are just fine, especially at the price we are paying for the SV+, with $11k+ in discounts. We (or my housemate, if I'm gone) will likely buy the car when the lease ends. We don't want a Tesla, don't want a Bolt (although I was serious about leasing one as a second car when my lease ends, if they offer Fire Sale (so to speak) leases on the NOS cars sitting on lots) and we don't want some new EV with teething problems and less comfort. I guess that we're the Buick drivers of the EV world...

Leftie- rather than Buick drivers, I think of our household and our Leaf as VW Bug drivers from the fifties and sixties, among the first economical relatively simple small cars to be available to the public..... although EVs are still too expensive for many...... but Buick? that was my grandfather's car!

queuetee said:

You forgot battery cooling! (nope of course)

There are still some short distance EVs like the mini which I know of at least two locally and Fiat which has a few around as well. I do think the LEAF is more comfortable than many as well. The range of the plus I am fine with I just want that cooling for long distance trips as we like to go places.

salyavin said:
queuetee said:

You forgot battery cooling! (nope of course)

There are still some short distance EVs like the mini which I know of at least two locally and Fiat which has a few around as well. I do think the LEAF is more comfortable than many as well. The range of the plus I am fine with I just want that cooling for long distance trips as we like to go places.

Our battery stayed plenty cool last winter going to Montreal at five below F. In that weather, battery warming would have been a good thing, but otherwise in my climate I think the Plus is fine even for travel.

In my climate (Colorado) it is good for 1-2 DCFCs in the height of summer then throttles and starts going red. I have done up to 5 but the double red bar is very bad and it took so long it may as well be l2. So even here you can do what most people drive in the height of summer. I have seen that guy in Norway do the same thing just not quite as bad so even in Norway you can overheat a plus in long distance driving. Winter I don't drive as far, I have gone to places like Breckenridge which is much closer and that is no problem at all. This winter I don't even do that with covid.

Back