The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWmXyh8h.png

24,732, 400 miles since last month, cool weather, big drop 0.72 :(

I only charge to 70%.

jmurtagh13 said:
SWmXyh8h.png

24,732, 400 miles since last month, cool weather, big drop 0.72 :(

I only charge to 70%.

Should add odometer to the chart.

You had 3 plusses, one "zero" adjustment and now it looks like you have restarted the negative adjustments again. Interesting.

[/quote]

Should add odometer to the chart.

You had 3 plusses, one "zero" adjustment and now it looks like you have restarted the negative adjustments again. Interesting.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea. I'll add that in on my next update

SageBrush said:
jmurtagh13 said:
I only charge to 70%.
Smart

How do you do it ?

I set my car time to the following settings, the "Full charge has priority" is the key one. I then have a timer on my charger that shuts it off at 7:00am. Then regardless of the charge level by 7:00am it will always be at or about 70%. I only charge at 3KW so my stop time is way out to 11:00am but if you're charging at 6KW it would probably by more like 10:00am for 70%

BMrPScvl.jpg

jmurtagh13 said:
I set my car time to the following settings, the "Full charge has priority" is the key one. I then have a timer on my charger that shuts it off at 7:00am. Then regardless of the charge level by 7:00am it will always be at or about 70%. I only charge at 3KW so my stop time is way out to 11:00am but if you're charging at 6KW it would probably by more like 10:00am for 70%
I like it !
Clever.

To be clear for others, 'charger' refers to the EVSE

jmurtagh13 said:
SageBrush said:
jmurtagh13 said:
I only charge to 70%.
Smart

How do you do it ?

BMrPScvl.jpg

Nice. With the Plus, I have a lot more leeway as far as an SOC target so mine is basically 45 to 55%. I plug in around 5:45 am, unplug at 7 am when leaving for work. In Winter, I lose about 2-3% SOC every morning. In Summer, I gain 1-2% SOC.

Other than that, if planning road trips, I charge to get 10% per hour to hit whatever target I need. I am within 5% with about ¼ of them being right on. I found that the earlier the start of the trip, the closer I am.

I see all the complicated things people are doing to charge to 70%...I just look at the display...if it says I need 5 hours to 75% I set the time to come on at 1:00 am and go off 6:00 am...works! If its 4 hours...then on at 2:00 am off at 6:00 am....I only change the start time.

Plug the cable in ...got to bed :)

You get the point...works for me.

I figure 3% per hour of charge added on our L-1 EVSE, plug the car in when it will be convenient for my housemate to unplug it in X hours, and leave her a note to do that.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Whats the climate where you live? Is car garaged?

I live in Atlanta, yes it's hot here in the summer. The car is parked under a large tree so it does not get any direct sun. The battery temperature stays mostly between 80 and 85 Deg. during the summer. During the work week the car is in a parking garage during the day.

SageBrush said:
jmurtagh13 said:
I like it !
Clever.

Yes that's correct, my bad.

jmurtagh13 said:
SageBrush said:
jmurtagh13 said:
I like it !
Clever.

Yes that's correct, my bad.
No worries.

If I may clarify one other sentence of yours for others --
"Then regardless of the charge level by 7:00am it will always be at or about 70%. "
means regardless of the starting SoC, the car SoC will be at 70% at 7am.

jmurtagh is taking advantage of the predictable and consistent time it takes his EVSE to increase the car SoC from 70 to 100%. As I said -- Clever.

jmurtagh's solution is elegant in that he doesn't have to calculate anything, or remember a particular time to plug/unplug.
He plugs in when he arrives home, and is DONE.

He did not say how he turns off power at the EVSE at 7am. I think the JuiceBox has that feature, but others with dumb EVSEs could wire in a timer that costs ~ $50

Learjet said:
You get the point...works for me.
Heh.

There would be revolution in the air if my wife had to fiddle with the charge timer settings after every drive. Even I would tire of that requirement pretty darned quick.

SageBrush said:
jmurtagh's solution is elegant in that he doesn't have to calculate anything, or remember a particular time to plug/unplug.

He did not say how he turns off power at the EVSE at 7am. I think the JuiceBox has that feature, but others with dumb EVSEs could wire in a timer that costs ~ $50

I installed a pool pump timer that just turns on/off the outlet the EVSE is plugged into.
I have it set to turn off at 7:00am and then back on at 5:00pm.

This was the only way I could get my wife to charge the car in keeping it at 70%, all she has to do is plug it in.

https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T101-Electromechanical-Timer/dp/B000BQOX88/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3PGFCT122DDGA&dchild=1&keywords=pool%2Bpump%2Btimer&qid=1610813146&sprefix=pool%2Bpump%2Btimer%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-7&th=1

SageBrush said:

His process isn't that far off from mine. I had my 40 kwh set to finish a charge at 10 AM same setup. but always left for work at 7 AM so no EVSE shut off needed, I simply unplugged and left. Was at 65% +/- 2% or so every day. I only did this during Winter. During Summer, it was too easy to DC instead when it was free.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

His process isn't that far off from mine. I had my 40 kwh set to finish a charge at 10 AM same setup. but always left for work at 7 AM so no EVSE shut off needed, I simply unplugged and left. Was at 65% +/- 2% or so every day. I only did this during Winter. During Summer, it was too easy to DC instead when it was free.
In your case, *you* are the timer. Your solution is the same one I thought of when people would come to the forum looking for a solution. It's obvious weakness is that it only works well when the time of departure is about the same each day the car is plugged in.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

In your case, *you* are the timer. Your solution is the same one I thought of when people would come to the forum looking for a solution. It's obvious weakness is that it only works well when the time of departure is about the same each day the car is plugged in.

Yep, work commute so departure time varied in a 5 minute window. I did the same on days off with roadtrips planned. I am not a jump out of bed and take off person. I do coffee routine that lasts AT LEAST an hour before I do anything else. On days I wanted a full charge, I simply plugged in at bedtime. My normal SOC meant charge completion and departure was no more than a few hours. On other times when full charge wasn't desired, I would set it to start at like 4 AM or whatever based on my expected departure time and a 10% per hour charge rate.

In either case, it is hardly inconvenient.

DaveinOlyWA said:
In either case, it is hardly inconvenient.
To you. Or to me. Both of us look at the SoC gauge every time we park at home.

However, the country is stuffed with people who only add fuel to their cars when the car beeps and flashes an "ADD GAS" alert. These people have no clue about the status of their fuel tank (or battery SoC, as the case may be) at any other time and they want to keep it that way. Moreover, realize that a sizable fraction of EV drivers are like this, AND are driving an EV in no small part either to save money or because of a pushy spouse. Accommodating EV idiosyncrasies is not part of their daily agenda.

As jmurtagh so cheerfully noted, he was lucky to convince his wife to plug in daily. The rest was on him and the car. In case you are wondering, no particular perceptiveness on my part. But my wife does have a similar outlook and fuse.

Back