How? Corrosive 12V Battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybegoode

I just bought this 2012 Nissan Leaf.

What are the steps to take this battery out, clean it, and put it back?
What should I take extra notes of?
Alarm?
15mins after power off?
Losing all memories?
Thank you!

Learjet said:
..... You can buy a can of the battery cleaning spray to clean up the tray.
That would work but one can also just use some baking soda, spray things down with water and then sprinkle on some baking soda, which is a base to counteract the acid from the battery.
Note if the battery isn't more than a couple of years old it might just need a cleaning, you could always have it tested for free at many auto shops or parts suppliers, if it tests bad they might suggest you purchase a battery from them, you can always say you want to think it over and price shop.
Actually, I just noted the battery has a mfg date sticker of 1/18 putting it at about 3 years......I personally would just clean it up but it's up to you, expect to pay around $100 for a similar or $200+ for a better AGM battery like a yellow top Optima or another cheaper AGM battery. I've read Pep Boys have the 51R(if that's what your car uses) for around $150.
Upon a second look if it's a 1/16 mfg date I just replace it, with either AGM or a flooded acid battery like the Interstate you have now.

If that was mine, I would hook up a 12 v charger or a 9v battery to the cables then unhook and scrub up the terminals and cable clamps with baking soda/water mixture then a green scotch pad if needed then reconnect battery , remove external power source then spray a sealer over the terminals/exposed metal. CRC makes a red spray battery sealer product. Bought a can years ago , lasts forever. If you use an external power source to keep the leafs memory alive then you should have no problems, expect when the clamp flys off when ur cleaning them ! Ask my how I know, SMH. Of course when ur scrubbing that acid off watch ur eyes/skin paint.....

I bought a battery cleaner.
Can I without disconnecting - spray on the terminals and the car's terminal clamps, brush them
before finishing up by pouring a bucket of water on the battery?
Would water damage anything under the hood of an EV?

No, that sounds like a good plan of attack. Again if the battery is over 4 years old I'd strongly suggest replacing it or at the least getting it tested. If the 12v battery gets low enough it might not have enough charge to boot up the car and you'd be dead in the water without a jump, the HV battery wouldn't charge the 12v battery until the car boots up(starts).

I measured with a meter. It is around 12.1V to 12.2V.
I think it got discharged when I use the "Accessories only" mode to check out the navigation system when I first got the car.
I did not know that would discharge the 12V battery.
For a day or two, the navigation system keeps restarting because of that.

How do I clean the car side terminal clamps that have been affected by the corrosion
and supply 12V at the same time?

Should I just let everything reset (forget about saving the memory),
clean the clamps properly, install a new battery with anti-corrosion spay and washer?

johnnybegoode said:
How do I clean the car side terminal clamps that have been affected by the corrosion
and supply 12V at the same time?

Should I just let everything reset (forget about saving the memory),
clean the clamps properly, install a new battery with anti-corrosion spay and washer?

I'd let everything reset as that makes everything easier. Here's what I would do, which is about the same as the advice above.

Disconnect and remove the battery. Wire brush any and all terminals - meaning both the male terminals on the battery and female terminals on the wires connected to the car. Remove as much of the corrosion with the brush as possible and then use baking soda and water to get the rest of the film and corrosion off. After that, clean both sets of the terminals with the cleaner you bought until the metal is bright and shiny. Assemble and spray the terminals with the sealer. I'd also remove the clamp and apply the same process except I'd spray paint if before putting it back on.

Depending on how bad the female terminals are, they could be disconnected from the cables and soaked in soda water if needed. They should be CLEAN. They don't look bad in the picture but they are removable for a reason.

Wear gloves, old clothes and be careful to not get any of the battery goop on the paint. The corrosion material isn't terribly hazardous but it can eat holes in cotton clothes and stain paint.

Last but not least, 12.1V is low for a sealed lead acid car battery. It may be time for a new one.

I would also use lots of baking soda and water to flush away the residue from everywhere in the vicinity of the battery to minimize the risk of corrosion of other parts. That photo showing what happens when flooded cell batteries get weak and start gassing is why I have used AGM batteries in all of my vehicles for the last 25 years.

Check for rust damage on the under frame also, read my experience at the bottom of this topic.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11999&start=180

johnnybegoode said:
I just bought this 2012 Nissan Leaf.

What are the steps to take this battery out, clean it, and put it back?
What should I take extra notes of?
Alarm?
15mins after power off?
Losing all memories?
Thank you!

I took my time to replace the battery.
I clean the terminal connectors, add two anti-corrosive washers, and spray the terminals with anti-corrosive terminals spray.
Miraculously, I did not lose any memory.

Q: Is this a sealed battery or do you think there are holes under the sticker
for filling up with distilled water when it is low?

Check the fine print on the label, or look up the exact model, for the word "sealed."

The fact that you didn't lose settings is likely related to your not being able to clear those fault codes.

Looks good. If the sticker isn't made to be removed then the battery shouldn't need to be re-filled. Just keep it charged and it should last years, less in very hot climates but you'd know that by now if you lived in one.

The only settings I lost when replacing the batteries in my 2011 and 2015 were the auto up/down driver window control. Those functions are restored by opening the window and holding the control in the open position for a few seconds after the window is fully open. Then close the window and hold the control in the close position for a few seconds after the window is fully closed. To clear error codes, connecting a resistor or light bulb across the disconnected positive and negative cables to bleed voltage off (all of the electronic power supplies have capacitors in them) is needed unless the battery is disconnected for extended time so I am not surprised that radio settings were not lost.

johnnybegoode said:
Q: Is this a sealed battery or do you think there are holes under the sticker
for filling up with distilled water when it is low?

It's advertised as a maintenance-free battery. There may or may not be hidden caps used for the original fill, but you shouldn't need to deal with them.

Good job on cleaning up the terminals, they look great.

There is no easy way to check the fluid level in "maintenance free" starter batteries, but it does have plugs under the label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xvr3Sc3g2o

Back