DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Nissan expanding 62kWh Leaf battery production in the UK.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/niss ... -pnx56m35q
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15554
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:18 am

Adjustment Jan 2021; -.63% More than double Oct 2020 adjustment which kinda blows up that temperature theory a bit. My 2018 did the same thing losing more in Winter while 2nd Summer the adjustments were July; +.78 and October; ZERO.

So have to say that Nissan has made progress on that heat related degradation since a few in "warmer" climates are doing significantly better than me. I guess the Pacific Northwest advantage no longer applies.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 16,686 mi, 91.51% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am

It does feel like these batteries don't like the cold, at least for adjustments. I wonder if you ran a space heater around the car the days of adjustment whether that might reduce the impact.

Well, I will hope for warm weather for my Feb and March adjustments.
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15554
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:44 am

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am
It does feel like these batteries don't like the cold, at least for adjustments. I wonder if you ran a space heater around the car the days of adjustment whether that might reduce the impact.

Well, I will hope for warm weather for my Feb and March adjustments.
March adjustment covers Jan to Mar... I would look for something else to hope for.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 16,686 mi, 91.51% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:51 pm

I did a relatively long drive on a charge. 178.4 miles total drive with all but about 6 miles of it highway to/from Wisconsin. Ambient was about 15F on the way out and about 20F on way back on average (a bit colder in WI and a bit warmer in IL). Most of the driving was at 70-75mph, except for the first few miles around Chicago, and maybe 65mph at the interchange in Milwaukee. The distance and speed are not terribly exciting. Efficiency was 3.3 on the way up, and in total 3.5 m/kWh for the whole trip.

The interesting thing was that upon arriving at home with stale --- was that LS showed 5.8 kWh of power left. I had been driving for 6-8 miles on double --- before arriving home. I forgot to bring LS with me for the trip, hence only the end reading. Low battery was at 9% like it was in the summer. I never hit very low battery. This suggests in cold weather the Leaf takes you to --- earlier than when its warm. I would guess that its to also keep you from getting stuck.

As I charged just before I left, I started and ended with 5 battery bars. I was surprised that I didn't lose a bar during the 3 hours (including the stop to visit in the middle).
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 16595
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:42 pm

It may also be that --- is based on voltage, and a cold battery will get to that low voltage with more power stored but unavailable because of the cold.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:49 pm

True, though I was hoping at 5 temp bars, not too much would be unaccessible. Ending temp was 62F 65F and 73F, so it looks like the fast driving kept temps very healthy. Starting temp per car dash in the garage was 60F, but battery might have been a bit warmer or colder.
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 16595
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:19 pm

There are likely sections of the pack that get colder than the temp sensors.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15554
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:00 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:51 pm
I did a relatively long drive on a charge. 178.4 miles total drive with all but about 6 miles of it highway to/from Wisconsin. Ambient was about 15F on the way out and about 20F on way back on average (a bit colder in WI and a bit warmer in IL). Most of the driving was at 70-75mph, except for the first few miles around Chicago, and maybe 65mph at the interchange in Milwaukee. The distance and speed are not terribly exciting. Efficiency was 3.3 on the way up, and in total 3.5 m/kWh for the whole trip.

The interesting thing was that upon arriving at home with stale --- was that LS showed 5.8 kWh of power left. I had been driving for 6-8 miles on double --- before arriving home. I forgot to bring LS with me for the trip, hence only the end reading. Low battery was at 9% like it was in the summer. I never hit very low battery. This suggests in cold weather the Leaf takes you to --- earlier than when its warm. I would guess that its to also keep you from getting stuck.

As I charged just before I left, I started and ended with 5 battery bars. I was surprised that I didn't lose a bar during the 3 hours (including the stop to visit in the middle).
Normal. Plus packs don't heat well. I charged 6.6 kw for 3 hours 12 minutes in low 40's temp partly cloudy day. Batt temps rose 4º started at 4 TBs and ended at 4 TBs.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 16,686 mi, 91.51% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15554
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 62kWh Battery Topic

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:04 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:49 pm
True, though I was hoping at 5 temp bars, not too much would be unaccessible. Ending temp was 62F 65F and 73F, so it looks like the fast driving kept temps very healthy. Starting temp per car dash in the garage was 60F, but battery might have been a bit warmer or colder.
NOT accurate if recently charging. Sensor too close to inverter. I see up to a 2-4º temp difference immediately after a charge session nearly every morning. I have seen it as much as 8º higher on longer charge sessions
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 16,686 mi, 91.51% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Batteries & Charging”