The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does feel like these batteries don't like the cold, at least for adjustments. I wonder if you ran a space heater around the car the days of adjustment whether that might reduce the impact.

Well, I will hope for warm weather for my Feb and March adjustments.

DougWantsALeaf said:
It does feel like these batteries don't like the cold, at least for adjustments. I wonder if you ran a space heater around the car the days of adjustment whether that might reduce the impact.

Well, I will hope for warm weather for my Feb and March adjustments.

March adjustment covers Jan to Mar... I would look for something else to hope for.

I did a relatively long drive on a charge. 178.4 miles total drive with all but about 6 miles of it highway to/from Wisconsin. Ambient was about 15F on the way out and about 20F on way back on average (a bit colder in WI and a bit warmer in IL). Most of the driving was at 70-75mph, except for the first few miles around Chicago, and maybe 65mph at the interchange in Milwaukee. The distance and speed are not terribly exciting. Efficiency was 3.3 on the way up, and in total 3.5 m/kWh for the whole trip.

The interesting thing was that upon arriving at home with stale --- was that LS showed 5.8 kWh of power left. I had been driving for 6-8 miles on double --- before arriving home. I forgot to bring LS with me for the trip, hence only the end reading. Low battery was at 9% like it was in the summer. I never hit very low battery. This suggests in cold weather the Leaf takes you to --- earlier than when its warm. I would guess that its to also keep you from getting stuck.

As I charged just before I left, I started and ended with 5 battery bars. I was surprised that I didn't lose a bar during the 3 hours (including the stop to visit in the middle).

True, though I was hoping at 5 temp bars, not too much would be unaccessible. Ending temp was 62F 65F and 73F, so it looks like the fast driving kept temps very healthy. Starting temp per car dash in the garage was 60F, but battery might have been a bit warmer or colder.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I did a relatively long drive on a charge. 178.4 miles total drive with all but about 6 miles of it highway to/from Wisconsin. Ambient was about 15F on the way out and about 20F on way back on average (a bit colder in WI and a bit warmer in IL). Most of the driving was at 70-75mph, except for the first few miles around Chicago, and maybe 65mph at the interchange in Milwaukee. The distance and speed are not terribly exciting. Efficiency was 3.3 on the way up, and in total 3.5 m/kWh for the whole trip.

The interesting thing was that upon arriving at home with stale --- was that LS showed 5.8 kWh of power left. I had been driving for 6-8 miles on double --- before arriving home. I forgot to bring LS with me for the trip, hence only the end reading. Low battery was at 9% like it was in the summer. I never hit very low battery. This suggests in cold weather the Leaf takes you to --- earlier than when its warm. I would guess that its to also keep you from getting stuck.

As I charged just before I left, I started and ended with 5 battery bars. I was surprised that I didn't lose a bar during the 3 hours (including the stop to visit in the middle).

Normal. Plus packs don't heat well. I charged 6.6 kw for 3 hours 12 minutes in low 40's temp partly cloudy day. Batt temps rose 4º started at 4 TBs and ended at 4 TBs.

DougWantsALeaf said:
True, though I was hoping at 5 temp bars, not too much would be unaccessible. Ending temp was 62F 65F and 73F, so it looks like the fast driving kept temps very healthy. Starting temp per car dash in the garage was 60F, but battery might have been a bit warmer or colder.

NOT accurate if recently charging. Sensor too close to inverter. I see up to a 2-4º temp difference immediately after a charge session nearly every morning. I have seen it as much as 8º higher on longer charge sessions

Dave may have meant the ambient temperature sensor since you referenced the dash display. The ambient temperature sensor is close to the radiator so it will show higher than actual during and after L2 charging because the coolant will warm up a little while charging (which warms the sensor). I routinely see the battery temperature either stay the same or drop a little during highway driving after DCQC so am not surprised that your battery temperature did not increase significantly while driving on the freeway. Incidentally, the low battery warnings I get are consistent as follows:
1. LBW (dash display pop up) at 6% SOC on dash (GOM goes to flashing for remaining miles).
2. VLBW at 2% SOC on dash (GOM goes to ---).
3. At a little below 1% SOC on dash, the SOC display goes to ---% (I call this ELBW for extremely low battery warning since my previous cars did not have this extra level).

There is still more usable energy remaining in the 62 kWh battery at ELBW than the 24 kWh batteries had at the first LBW level (assuming the cells are reasonably well balanced).

DougWantsALeaf said:
So you seethe front temp sensor hotter than rear? Do we know the placement of each sensor im leafspy? (Meaning is it consistent or do they just order by temp?)

You mentioned the dash temp. This is affected by the cooling system when charging. On a cold day after your car has been charging a few hours, pop the hood. You can feel the heat there.

GerryAZ said:
Dave may have meant the ambient temperature sensor since you referenced the dash display. The ambient temperature sensor is close to the radiator so it will show higher than actual during and after L2 charging because the coolant will warm up a little while charging (which warms the sensor). I routinely see the battery temperature either stay the same or drop a little during highway driving after DCQC so am not surprised that your battery temperature did not increase significantly while driving on the freeway. Incidentally, the low battery warnings I get are consistent as follows:
1. LBW (dash display pop up) at 6% SOC on dash (GOM goes to flashing for remaining miles).
2. VLBW at 2% SOC on dash (GOM goes to ---).
3. At a little below 1% SOC on dash, the SOC display goes to ---% (I call this ELBW for extremely low battery warning since my previous cars did not have this extra level).

There is still more usable energy remaining in the 62 kWh battery at ELBW than the 24 kWh batteries had at the first LBW level (assuming the cells are reasonably well balanced).

Benefits of big battery. When SOC meter goes to dashes I have 50 or 51 GID.. LBW on a 24 kwh pack came on at 48 GID

alozzy said:
At the 1:53 timestamp, the physical bulging of the modules in the back of the pack are very telling. It really underscores how much heat DC quick charging produces within the pack and how woefully inadequate passive cooling is!
In the UK if I am ID'g the accents correctly.
Imagine a hot-ish climate.

To me the great news is just how easy it is to pop in and out the pack. Enjoy the show, since it will not be available in the future.

SageBrush said:
Wait till you experience 400 Amps. 200 Amps will feel like a dog and 125 Amps will elicit a disgruntled laugh.

My Tesla Model 3 peaks at 600 - 700 Amps at the new V3 Superchargers but I have not used any yet. And since they taper faster than just cruising at 400 Amps up to 60 - 70% SoC the road tripping difference may not be enough to particularly care about the difference.

In your tesla do you have the option to supercharge at a lower rate if you have the time & want to put less stress on the pack?

HerdingElectrons said:
SageBrush said:
Wait till you experience 400 Amps. 200 Amps will feel like a dog and 125 Amps will elicit a disgruntled laugh.

My Tesla Model 3 peaks at 600 - 700 Amps at the new V3 Superchargers but I have not used any yet. And since they taper faster than just cruising at 400 Amps up to 60 - 70% SoC the road tripping difference may not be enough to particularly care about the difference.

In your tesla do you have the option to supercharge at a lower rate if you have the time & want to put less stress on the pack?

Not per se, although I can use the phone to start and stop charging as I see fit.

Side comment: while any DCFC is going to be more battery wear than L2 charging, Tesla puts a lot of effort into mitigating the DCFC effect: the battery temp in brought to 50C+ early in the charging cycle to mitigate Li plating, and then the pack temperature is brought down quickly once the charging is complete. And a Tesla owner should really never have to charge on a cold pack at a Supercharger due to pre-conditioning.

Leafers

In this Leaf video from Bjorn today, he showed how the nav does a remaining battery estimation when you put in the destination. Is this on the US Leafs, as I have not seen it on my SV+ plus Tech?

https://youtu.be/ieODd-PgSbs

Something that many people don't know is the LEAF will use the PTC heater for heating if activated remotely or by climate control timer when the car is plugged in and charging on L2 or DCQC (not sure about L1--see additional comment below). It will use the heat pump if heating is activated remotely when not plugged in to minimize power consumption from the battery. I believe it will also use the heat pump while plugged in if the PTC heater has failed, but have no way to test that at this time. I suspect it may also use the heat pump while L1 charging to avoid drawing more power than the EVSE can supply, but have never tried it. I believe the PTC heater is used while charging to minimize noise and also reduce wear/tear on the compressor.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leafers

In this Leaf video from Bjorn today, he showed how the nav does a remaining battery estimation when you put in the destination. Is this on the US Leafs, as I have not seen it on my SV+ plus Tech?

https://youtu.be/ieODd-PgSbs

I’m curious to know this too. I saw the video and wasn’t aware the Leaf nav system did that. It seems fairly accurate too.

My '13 Leaf SV's nav system would give you an estimate of how many battery bars (out of 12) would be left when you arrived. It would also tell you if it believed there wasn't enough juice to make it.

Back