The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
GerryAZ, did you see the estimated remaining battery feature in the video? (Lower left hand corner of the video screen)

Is there a way to trigger that on the US leafs?
I saw that in the video. I don't know if there is a way to have the navigation system used on USA Plus models display estimated %SOC. I will look at settings when I get some free time.

Edited to add: My previous cars would give a warning if there was not enough charge to reach the destination and suggest charging locations along the route. I just tried setting a destination well beyond the range and did not get any warnings. I much preferred the older navigation systems.

GerryAZ When I used the onboard navigation of my 2019 SV Plus which I did once when I had a phone mess up was and was out of mobile range, I did get repeated warnings I would not make it along the route. I can't remember exactly what it said but it got annoying, and when I got back in signal I turned it off and went back to phone. I do think the warnings are needed for most people who may attempt road trips as we don't have as many chargers as gas stations and your average person will not watch power usage like we do.

On the screen I think you are talking about, I do not know where to find it in my US model either.

DougWantsALeaf said:
https://youtu.be/3Q13d30YXNU

Interesting that Niro and ID3 don't really do any better than the Leaf efficiency wise.

In that kind of weather, its really hard to tell w/o driving each for an entire season. LEAF has no TMS which is both a plus and a minus while the others do have TMS which is both a plus and a minus. I haven't really thought about it much but I have to think that no TMS is better in the real cold since that is less power being taken from the pack but like all winter adventures; it really depends on how far you want to go and how much time you have to get there.

I think this video starts to show why the Leaf has remained so strong in Norway. Good snow packed road driving. Given winter is 8-9 months of the year, especially if you don't DC charge much, there is no significant advantage to the Niro and Id3 (a little range). Given the large Leaf population (68K over past 10 years), lots of support for the car. Guessing M3 in spite of its efficiency advantages, isn't everyone's choice as not all want a sedan or be conjoined to the Borg.

https://youtu.be/l8MG8xg3Qkw

DougWantsALeaf said:
I think this video starts to show why the Leaf has remained so strong in Norway. Good snow packed road driving. Given winter is 8-9 months of the year, especially if you don't DC charge much, there is no significant advantage to the Niro and Id3 (a little range). Given the large Leaf population (68K over past 10 years), lots of support for the car. Guessing M3 in spite of its efficiency advantages, isn't everyone's choice as not all want a sedan or be conjoined to the Borg.

https://youtu.be/l8MG8xg3Qkw

Curious as to the price differences between the different cars? Here, we all know the LEAF sells because its one of the cheapest on a per mile of range basis.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
In Norway, resistance heat is futile.

Don't you mean heat exchanger?

There is this TV/cinema franchise called STAR TREK, when

Ah, never mind. It would take too long to explain.
Lefty was being clever by mixing word play with a pop culture reference

I loved both references. If 7of9 pulled up in a Tesla, I might be convinced to come to the dark side.

In the chat, supposedly ID3, Niro, Leaf, and SR+ are all priced very close to each other.

Here, given deep discounts, I can understand the Leaf value play, especially if not doing many long road trips (10-15k under SR+, and maybe 5-7K under Niro).....but for even money, I guess I was/am surprised that it still sells so well in Norway. I agree, the Video is fairly complimentary to the Leaf.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
In Norway, resistance heat is futile.

Don't you mean heat exchanger?

There is this TV/cinema franchise called STAR TREK, when

Ah, never mind. It would take too long to explain.
Lefty was being clever by mixing word play with a pop culture reference

I got the ST reference (BIG fan here)

DougWantsALeaf said:
I loved both references. If 7of9 pulled up in a Tesla, I might be convinced to come to the dark side.

In the chat, supposedly ID3, Niro, Leaf, and SR+ are all proved very close to each other.

Here, given deep discounts, I can understand the Leaf value play, especially if not doing many long road trips (10-15k under SR+, and maybe 5-7K under Niro).....but for even money, I guess I was/am surprised that it still sells so well in Norway. I agree, the Video is fairly complimentary to the Leaf.

Well, let me tell ya a story of a roadtrip taken by my Dad. But before we go there, a bit of background.

My Dad was a driving fiend. I was 12 before we ever spent a night in a hotel and we did a LOT of roadtrips. In June 1970, my Dad (this was before my Mother got her driver's license) drove from Ft. Greeley Alaska to Hancock Michigan in 3 days. That is "averaging" over 1,000 miles a day for 3 straight days.

He was Army and no matter where we were stationed, he drove us to Michigan EVERY summer for vacation driving straight thru. Luckily, Texas was the longest stretch at roughly 30 hours.
IOW, my Dad was not a stopper.

Anyway, back to the roadtrip. He decided to take his new wife (my Mother passed away in 2004) to see the country which included visiting ALL his old Army buddies including two who lived in Alaska. They had a Prius and his wife hated driving so he happily did it all. But during this 10 month long trip (the last 4 months was an around the World cruise) , he never drove more than 300 miles including a few days logging under 200 miles.

So the "roadtrip" experience covers almost as many scenarios as there are destinations.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-my-dad-raised-ever-my-dads-big-fish.html

One other point of note. In Bjorn's video look at the temperature spread between the temp sensors. 15+C, which is huge. I have never seen anything close to that on my car post DC sessions. Its the front cells getting quickly chilled and the underseat cells staying toasty warm.

Someone needs to find a way to get just a little airflow up there.

DougWantsALeaf said:
One other point of note. In Bjorn's video look at the temperature spread between the temp sensors. 15+C, which is huge. I have never seen anything close to that on my car post DC sessions. Its the front cells getting quickly chilled and the underseat cells staying toasty warm.

Someone needs to find a way to get just a little airflow up there.

Amazing what a bit of airflow can do. The Soul EV vents passenger air to the battery pack with assist of a fan and it makes a huge difference in batt temps. Seems like an easy cheap fix?...

The earlier Ionic did the same I believe. It works pretty well, Nd likely why Lexus is going with just air cooling with the Ux300e.

No, not enough for the track, but plenty for normal driving, even road trips.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The earlier Ionic did the same I believe. It works pretty well, Nd likely why Lexus is going with just air cooling with the Ux300e.
Good for driving, not good enough for fast charging.
And remember, the air cooling is *into* the battery. None of this around the external case BS

DougWantsALeaf said:
Good point. The around the case, using the case as a heat sink, can't be more than mildly effective. I wager there is 0 passive airflow over the pack under the seats.
I'm not familiar with the Lexus but I did own the Toyota Prime PHEV which is likely quite similar. The air cooling was not just ambient -- it used cabin air. I can remember agreeing to a setting that cooled the battery down with A/C before starting L2 charging.

I still think it is fine engineering for a PHEV, but not for a BEV where you want quick and high capacity thermal control for things like (rapid) fast charging.

Check out the Tesla thermal control system with a well integrated octovalve and heat pump. It is crazy good engineering. Some of Bjorn Nyland's tests show almost no winter range penalty (it is a ymmv, mostly depending on trip specifics.) You gotta love an EV that takes the excess heat from a Supercharge stop and uses it to keeps the cabin nice and comfortable.

Back