62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
December in the books

SV+ 425 miles and 3.7 miles/kWh. (Heat and maybe 15-20% highway)

S+ 276 miles and 4.5 miles/kWh (minimal heat and 50+% highway)

Cold has finally set in, with a couple days in the teens and other days barely touching freezing.

DougWantsALeaf said:
December in the books

SV+ 425 miles and 3.7 miles/kWh. (Heat and maybe 15-20% highway)

S+ 276 miles and 4.5 miles/kWh (minimal heat and 50+% highway)

Cold has finally set in, with a couple days in the teens and other days barely touching freezing.

Amazing numbers for 50% highway

Highway is 55mph here, though I do drive faster at times. On local roads, mainly 25-35, I drive like an old fart. The faster highway/freeway drives were definitely in the upper 3s, but they were balanced with low 5s in the local sections. Car is garaged, which helps, as battery starts at 50-53F.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Highway is 55mph here, though I do drive faster at times. On local roads, mainly 25-35, I drive like an old fart. The faster highway/freeway drives were definitely in the upper 3s, but they were balanced with low 5s in the local sections. Car is garaged, which helps, as battery starts at 50-53F.

My car is garaged (average ambient upper 50's) "half" the time but even 12 hours at work doesn't significantly cool the pack. I haven't measured it lately but last winter after I got it, I did and saw only a 4-5º drop in temps. Not a whole lot. Other variables applied of course but generally OAT ranged from mid 30's to mid 40's.

Ok, Jan is in the books.

SV+ 280 Miles and 3.4 miles/kWh
S+ 512 Miles and 3.9 miles/kWh --> which included a full 100% to 0% 180 miles highway drive at 70ish (+-5 mph over course) and 7 to 20F.

Jan here was fairly cold, though not extreme. 20s most days.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, Jan is in the books.

S+ 512 Miles and 3.9 miles/kWh --> which included a full 100% to 0% 180 miles highway drive at 70ish (+-5 mph over course) and 7 to 20F.

I assume those mi/kWh numbers are from the dash. Here are my numbers from my last charge:
147.0 miles driven per dash (January 26 through 30)
3.0 mi/kWh per dash
58.76 kWh from meter at input to EVSE
Odometer error with run flat tires is about 3.2%
(147.0 X 1.032)/58.76=2.58 mi/kWh actual wall-to-wheels efficiency

The above numbers are typical. Total miles driven will be a little over 1,600 this month and dash efficiency (recorded/reset each charge cycle) ranged from 3.0 to 3.6 mi/kWh.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, Jan is in the books.

How do you determine your miles/kwh numbers? By the month, the trip or daily totals?

SV+ by the Nissan Connect app. It shows a monthly average.

S+ I try to reset the efficiency at the start of each month. This month I had 2 readings. The first was the mileage up until my long trip (4.1), and the long trip plus driving this past week (3.7). The 2 pieces were not quite equal, but close enough. 3.9.

Our S+ has only the M/KWH meter as Doug points out- 3.0 the month of January with a lot of cold and we now use heat all the time, just too bloody cold without and the cost is minimal. We get 4.5 during the summer months so are consuming about 1/3 of our charge to heat (and to run the car, probably less efficient when it is 5 F than in its sweet temperature range). At 3.0 M/KWH and paying $.125 for a KWH a 30 mile trip is costing us $1.25 in the dead of winter and about $.85 in the summer., which is a bit over 50 MPG cost equivalent in winter driving, 65-70 MPG in summer (with gas at around $2.40 where it is right now). The thing I miss least? Oil changes! I always do (did) my own and do NOT miss them.....

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, Jan is in the books.

I find it surprising that your SV+, with its hybrid heater system, consistently has lower miles/kWh than your S does...

What do you account for the discrepancy? I'm sure the larger 17" wheels on the SV don't help, but does that explain the difference entirely? It's an unexpected result.

alozzy said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, Jan is in the books.

I find it surprising that your SV+, with its hybrid heater system, consistently has lower miles/kWh than your S does...

What do you account for the discrepancy? I'm sure the larger 17" wheels on the SV don't help, but does that explain the difference entirely? It's an unexpected result.

Wheel size is the culprit. Same issue with the Prius. Before efficient cars arrived, the difference was so small, it wasn't noticed but it surely exists.

dmacarthur said:
Our S+ has only the M/KWH meter as Doug points out- 3.0 the month of January with a lot of cold and we now use heat all the time, just too bloody cold without and the cost is minimal. We get 4.5 during the summer months so are consuming about 1/3 of our charge to heat (and to run the car, probably less efficient when it is 5 F than in its sweet temperature range). At 3.0 M/KWH and paying $.125 for a KWH a 30 mile trip is costing us $1.25 in the dead of winter and about $.85 in the summer., which is a bit over 50 MPG cost equivalent in winter driving, 65-70 MPG in summer (with gas at around $2.40 where it is right now). The thing I miss least? Oil changes! I always do (did) my own and do NOT miss them.....

Charging efficiency. Wall to wheels is a 12-17% (6.6 to 4.8 KW) deduction depending on charging speed.

I don't see temps anywhere near yours and I reset my trip meter every morning but still have a lot of low 3's. defrost, heat, speed, whatever.

For reference, I don't use heat until it gets to around 0F, or wife is in the car (we usually take her car the SV+, and she runs heat continuously).

I was actually a bit disappointed with my freeway run. With a not so cold battery, the dash efficiency was 3.4-3.5 in the cold vs. 4.0-4.2 in summer. I was hoping the cold air played less into the equation compared to cold battery effect. I had run a small space heater under the car for the 20 minutes prior to launch, which pushed the car to 5 bars from 4. ( car charged overnight too).

I would still like to do the 1000km challenge before it gets too warm, and see if I can do 3 back to back 200amp charges.

Charging efficiency. Wall to wheels is a 12-17% (6.6 to 4.8 KW) deduction depending on charging speed.

I don't see temps anywhere near yours and I reset my trip meter every morning but still have a lot of low 3's. defrost, heat, speed, whatever.
Agreed that charging losses need to be accounted for, and should be, in the cost per mile for comparison to ICE. But as for comparison between summer and winter, I am really using solely the car's readout of M/Kwh to summarize how much fewer miles I go in the iwnter with heat etc. Speed is one factor we seldom need to account for- I remember doing a 0 to 100 MPH a year or so ago just for S and G, since then I don't think I've seen the plus side of 60 more than a mile or 2. PS the 0-100 took a few seconds but was still a thrill- the Plus has gobs of power for my needs.

DougWantsALeaf said:
And with your S+ you can outrun those bourgeoisie leather clad SL+ Leafs. The 0-60 is a solid 1/2 second less.
Acceleration depends upon careful application of accelerator pedal. My 2011 would give maximum (and consistent) acceleration by just flooring the pedal. Both 2015 and 2019 give best acceleration by carefully "feathering" the accelerator pedal just enough to reach and sustain maximum kW (80 kW for 2015 and 160 kW for 2019). The 2019 SL+ will go faster than my previous LEAFs. The previous cars were governed at about 94 or 95 mi/hr actual speed (measured by GPS) with stock tire size inflated to about 44 psi. I have not yet reached governed speed on the 2019--maximum so far is about 101 mi/hr.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Yep

I was specifically comparing the the 2019 S+ to the 2019 SV+/SL+ . The S+ is noticeably faster to the point the steering feels modestly different.

If you still have the OEM Michelin tires on the SV+, then they are probably slipping enough to limit acceleration (and affect steering feel). The 16-inch OEM Bridgestone Ecopias on my 2011 were much better tires than the 17-inch OEM Michelins that came on my 2015 and 2019.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Interesting..I will have to check into that this summer.

Was going to say, Ecopias don't do wet. I can spin tires from a 30 mph start. The S Plus is scary fast. I must be getting old :lol:

Back