Just Purchased 2018 Leaf SV with 20K

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldus

Brought my 2018 Leaf SV home today. Called electrician to install 240v charger included in the deal. My first ev, also have an Endurance on order, so the Leaf is the “testbed” for this old guy!

donaldus said:
Called electrician to install 240v charger included in the deal.
I imagine the electrician will also plug in a lamp in your house, at no extra cost.

alozzy said:
He's being sarcastic, I think. He doesn't like the use of the word "charger" in place of the proper term EVSE.
It is no fun having to explain humor.

I was imagining the electrician plugging in the EVSE and then submitting his invoice.

SageBrush said:
It is no fun having to explain humor.
I was imagining the electrician plugging in the EVSE and then submitting his invoice.

Yeah, but if it's humor that only a few people get, it can make a new poster feel it is at their expense. You know what they meant.

donaldus said:

Technically, the charger for level 2 AC charging is built into the car. The external device that connects to the car is called an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment). For level 3 DC charging, the charger is actually external to the car in the charging station.

jlv said:
donaldus said:

Technically, the charger for level 2 AC charging is built into the car. The external device that connects to the car is called an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment). For level 3 DC charging, the charger is actually external to the car in the charging station.

And to continue the teaching moment ...
The mobile EVSE is not "installed." It is plugged in. If an electrician was involved, it probably was to install a power outlet.
OP should know that frequent use of the mobile EVSE does not have the reliability of an EVSE meant to be attached to the wall. The little guys get hot with every charging.

Congrats and welcome!

I had to look up what an Endurance is. Ah--I didn't realize Lordstown picked a model name. I really like their video of off-road testing the chassis. I think they should offer to sell them without the body!

SageBrush said:
And to continue the teaching moment ...
The mobile EVSE is not "installed." It is plugged in. If an electrician was involved, it probably was to install a power outlet.
OP should know that frequent use of the mobile EVSE does not have the reliability of an EVSE meant to be attached to the wall. The little guys get hot with every charging.
I disagree--there is nothing wrong with using the portable L1/L2 EVSE that comes with many 2018 and later Leafs. I have used the one that came with my 2019 to charge the car from deeply discharged to full charge and there was no excessive heating. For L2 (240V) charging, it requires a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and allows the car to charge at the full rate of the onboard charger. It also comes with a wall mounting bracket and adapter for 120V charging.

Agreed. We've used the L-1 charging cable from my 2013 Leaf, the one from her 2013 PIP, and now we're using the L-1&2 cable that came with my car, in L-1 mode. Frequent plugging in and unplugging from the wall should be avoided, but there is nothing wrong otherwise with using the EVSE that comes with the car.

Also, 'included with the deal' does not necessarily mean that it's a portable unit, as dealers sometimes sell L-2 wall units.

StanS said:
SageBrush said:
[snip] The little guys get hot with every charging.

Ummm....no. Have you ever felt the EVSE while it is connected to the car? I have, and it barely gets warm (at L1).

I'm guessing that Sagebrush is speaking from personal experience, and that he plugged his into an outlet with marginal wiring. Mine have never gotten more than warm, either.

Seems like arguing over the word "installed" becomes a bit pedantic, as I think you can make a decent argument that having a new 240V circuit and outlet put in (in addition to having someone mount a L2 system on your wall) would be considered by many to be "installed".

I also have exclusively charged with the L1 cord that came with my 2017 and have had absolutely no issues. Do we really think that Nissan would continue to supply a cord with LEAFs (for almost a decade at this point) that they know to be potentially dangerous?
I'm on the fence about buying a L2 cord at this point (I am able to get a deal on the AmazingE cord for $219, as apparently the banner ad they were running on this site was way out of date, which I pointed out to them). Biggest issue is we're likely moving in 3-6 months and I'm not sure if I'll have access to the right outlet at a new house. We've gotten by just fine with L1 charging (esp. with reduced driving overall due to the pandemic)

LeftieBiker said:
Indeed. We have a 40kwh Leaf and a 62kwh Leaf, and still have no trouble with just L-1.

My comment was about using the small mobile EVSE for L2 charging (Electrician called by OP, remember ?). Compared to L1 about 2x - 2.5x the current so there is ~ 4x - 6.25x the heat.

And obviously it can be used for L2, my comment was regarding long-term reliability with frequent use.

SageBrush said:
My comment was about using the small mobile EVSE for L2 charging (Electrician called by OP, remember ?). Compared to L1 about 2x the current so there is ~ 4x the heat.
And obviously it can be used for L2, my comment was regarding long-term reliability with frequent use.

Is anyone actually doing this?? Do they make L1 cords that would work on a 240V outlet? I interpreted the OP to be that he got a L2 cord with the purchase of the car ("Called electrician to install 240v charger included in the deal.").

Back