Stand alone OBC/PDModule EV system Can 2015 - SOLVED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
svizpdm said:
As I understand it, PDM only monitors the current.
I can describe in detail what points I worked on from the photo.

Please forgive me for my translator, I am in Moscow (Russia).

That is my understanding also the OBC/PDM is a Constant Current power supply design.
I look forward to hearing more details about how you are controlling the PWM and managing the feedback.
The English is great, thank you for sharing your information.

I am still working on the CANBUS communication side. I have been distracted with developing a hardware/software interface using ardunino to allow the LEAF BMS to Communicate with a TOYOTA RAV4EV Battery ECU that I have been working on. We have the Leaf Batteries and BMS installed in the original battery pack from the RAV and are hoping to do some road tests this week. Its basically a CANBUS to RS232 interface and data translation, works good on the bench so far.

This work has helped build my knowledge on the LEAF BMS and how it interacts with the charger, I have also reassembled another complete Leaf system into a Kubvan. This is a completely working charging and drive system including the battery pack. I am hoping to finally crack the charging system by modeling the behavior of the working system against my stand alone system.

Stay tuned, thanks for your contribution to knowing more about how the charger works.

Hi, I will try to describe in detail how to force the ac-dc converter to work.

The first photo shows a general plan of the rear of the PDM.
For a successful launch, we need to modify the power control board.
https://ibb.co/txx1mzb

The second photo shows the main control board of the PDM, it is located in the upper part.
https://ibb.co/k15ZdB8

We remove the power control board and do the revision from the back. We solder the conductor to the gate of the field-effect transistor, an example in the third photo. If you pull it to the ground then the power corrector starts and the relay is turned on to supply alternating current to the rectifier bridge. CAUTION Do not apply AC power while the relay is on. you can turn on the power corrector only after preliminary charging the capacitors of the power corrector (this happens automatically through a powerful 10 ohm resistor when the AC is turned on)
https://ibb.co/rdVQbBP

Now we start the PWM. The fourth photo shows the revision for starting, in the same way we solder the conductor if it is pulled to the ground, the PWM will start, but there will be no pulse generation on the UCC2895 chip due to the fact that there is no voltage at the input of the error amplifier, it should be higher than 3.6 volts. Look at contact 20.
https://ibb.co/XZWQN90

I ask you not to pay attention to the many wires, I was experimenting)
The fifth photo shows the refinement in order to start the generation of pulses and successfully control the output current.
We need to raise the 6th pin of the MCP4728 microcircuit and solder the conductor to the printed circuit board for the 6th pin and be sure to output GND, since the unit is galvanically isolated from the power key control board.
Now when we supply voltages from 0 to 4 volts, we will change the current of our converter.

https://ibb.co/HxqqM6b
If everything is done correctly, we will see the generation of pulses on pin 18 of the UCC2895 microcircuit as shown in photo # 6
https://ibb.co/RP6GnT0
INCLUDING ORDER
1. Turn on + 12V in a regular way according to the documentation.
2. Directly supply alternating current of 220 volts
3. Turn on the power corrector (tightening on gnd)
4. Turn on the PWM (tightening on gnd)
5. We supply power to the feedback (6 pin of the printed circuit board on the seat of the MCP4728 microcircuit.
https://ibb.co/1vV4QM3

MY THOUGHTS
You can control the MCP4728 using I2C, there is a library in the arduino network) As I understand it, the inverter uses only 1 channel if you apply 4 volts, the inverter will work at full power.
In normal use, the processor gives a command via the I2C interface and the MCP4728 generates a voltage from 0 to 4 volts on channel a. I have not finished the hardware study of the inverter yet, but I'm sure that current and voltage readings are coming to the CPU!
In my project e-baggi will be able to power the consumer with a PDM with a voltage of 220 volts DC from the main battery) and charge too!
Good luck everyone and be careful with high voltage !!!!!!

svizpdm said:
https://ibb.co/txx1mzb

https://ibb.co/k15ZdB8

The second photo shows the main control board of the PDM, it is located in the upper part.
https://ibb.co/rdVQbBP

We remove the power control board and do the revision from the back. We solder the conductor to the gate of the field-effect transistor, an example in the third photo. If you pull it to the ground then the power corrector starts and the relay is turned on to supply alternating current to the rectifier bridge. CAUTION Do not apply AC power while the relay is on. you can turn on the power corrector only after preliminary charging the capacitors of the power corrector (this happens automatically through a powerful 10 ohm resistor when the AC is turned on)
https://ibb.co/XZWQN90

Now we start the PWM. The fourth photo shows the revision for starting, in the same way we solder the conductor if it is pulled to the ground, the PWM will start, but there will be no pulse generation on the UCC2895 chip due to the fact that there is no voltage at the input of the error amplifier, it should be higher than 3.6 volts. Look at contact 20.
https://ibb.co/HxqqM6b

The fifth photo shows the refinement in order to start the generation of pulses and successfully control the output current.
We need to raise the 6th pin of the MCP4728 microcircuit and solder the conductor to the printed circuit board for the 6th pin and be sure to output GND, since the unit is galvanically isolated from the power key control board.
Now when we supply voltages from 0 to 4 volts, we will change the current of our converter.

https://ibb.co/RP6GnT0
If everything is done correctly, we will see the generation of pulses on pin 18 of the UCC2895 microcircuit as shown in photo # 6

INCLUDING ORDER
5. We supply power to the feedback (6 pin of the printed circuit board on the seat of the MCP4728 microcircuit.
https://ibb.co/1vV4QM3

MY THOUGHTS
You can control the MCP4728 using I2C, there is a library in the arduino network) As I understand it, the inverter uses only 1 channel if you apply 4 volts, the inverter will work at full power.
In normal use, the processor gives a command via the I2C interface and the MCP4728 generates a voltage from 0 to 4 volts on channel a. I have not finished the hardware study of the inverter yet, but I'm sure that current and voltage readings are coming to the CPU!
In my project e-baggi will be able to power the consumer with a PDM with a voltage of 220 volts DC from the main battery) and charge too!
Fixed photos not opening (

MY THOUGHTS
You can control the MCP4728 using I2C, there is a library in the arduino network) As I understand it, the inverter uses only 1 channel if you apply 4 volts, the inverter will work at full power.In normal use, the processor gives a command via the I2C interface and the MCP4728 generates a voltage from 0 to 4 volts on channel a. I have not finished the hardware study of the inverter yet, but I'm sure that current and voltage readings are coming to the CPU! In my project e-baggi will be able to power the consumer with a PDM with a voltage of 220 volts DC from the main battery) and charge too! Good luck everyone and be careful with high voltage !!!!!!

This is Brilliant, well done and what a lot of work. Using I2C to control the charger is a really good alternative to trying to work out the CANBUS.
The PDM has a lot of other potential uses with your method. I think you meant to use a different word than "consumer" perhaps you meant inverter or ? Non the less your english is good I am able to understand exactly what you have done. Keep us up to date with your progress.
Thanks again for sharing this work. I am glad to have met you online. I know how much work this takes to get this deep into something, so I say again well done !! and Thank you.

vector-realistic-isolated-neon-sign-of-thank-you-in-russian-logo-for-template-decoration-and-covering-on-the-wall-background--1131835688-425afcbea7dc4935a637dbafd6393219.jpg

The forum does not allow russian characters, so here is a picture instead "thank you".

Peter
Whats your first name ?

49thdiver said:
The forum does not allow russian characters, so here is a picture instead "thank you".

Peter
Whats your first name ?

Thank you) very nice !!!!
You will be surprised but my name is also Peter !!! nice to meet you)
I wanted to implement the ability to power 220 volt household devices from a high-voltage battery using a PDM (collector motors, heaters and light bulbs, switching power supplies and other devices that can work on DC) There are contactors with fast charging and I want to use them to connect the corrector power to the main battery bypassing the diode bridge and add a contactor that will switch to an additional outlet, according to the calculations I can supply 2 kW! And of course, its main function will be to charge my 24 kW battery.
I have already tried charging, everything is fine! It is very convenient because now I do not have a cooling system connected and I limited the power to 1 kW, after an hour of work it warmed up to only 47 degrees Celsius.
Once again glad to meet you !!!! We will work further) If you manage to run on the bus, let me know)
Will you leave the VCM?

Just want to wish everyone on this thread a Happy New year and provide an update.

I made this extension cable today to allow me to test my old OBC/PD module in the Complete Leaf system that I have now installed and have fully functioning, driving (on jack stands) and charging in my KubVan with a 24KW pack.
http://www.evmotorworks.ca/LEAF/OBC_B24_ extension.htm

I am planning on getting back on the OBC/PD project tomorrow now that I have completed the first RAV4EV to Leaf battery pack conversion.
Road testing underway. https://photos.app.goo.gl/mUpoEHAJBp8zsw619
Diving into the the complete car especially the Lithium Battery BMS system has really broadened my knowledge of the Can bus communication and OBC/BMS relationship.

Due to the lack of success last year in getting the charger to run stand alone it became obvious I needed to test the OBC/PD module I had in a known working system as it may be damaged from the original accident( Leaf meet telephone pole I think). It took a few months to find another suitable donor car. Of course getting a car then distracted me over to the kubvan conversion project which is now 50% complete. Brakes and steering next. Wiring and cosmetics after that.Here is a sneek peek at that project. https://photos.app.goo.gl/SMXsQ9tdBH5xrTrH8

I also got distracted with an idea out there that the OBC/PD would just run if you powered the relays and sent it the messages I have been sending as documented earlier in this thread. I tried this on the complete car system in the kubvan but I only found that although it appeared to power up it also shut down after a few seconds, it did also turn on the dctodc converter but it also shut down after a few seconds. It was also obvious in this experiment that just bombing the CanBus with messages creates error conditions which require a reset of the car ie remove the 12 volts.

So as you can see lots on the go. I have learned quite a bit about communicating on the CANBUS with the BMS in the last few months on the RAV4 project, I am hoping to apply this knowledge, the arduino due hardware I have developed and the mux bridge to continue my testing on the working kubvan/Leaf system and apply it to the Stand alone OBC project,
I am hoping this year we can finally crack this nut. Stay tuned.

Thanks to all of those that have contributed to the knowledge base here, on github and elsewhere, this would not be possible without the generosity of time, energy and smarts to the deconstruction and repurposing of the Leaf by all of you. You know who you are ;).

Anyone with any further developments on getting this charger to go please chime in.

svizpdm said:

INCLUDING ORDER

MY THOUGHTS
used embed links for photos.

Peter this is fantastic work. Clearly there is a hardware path to getting the charger to run as you are demonstrating.
Once you have it all figured out an Arduino or other micro-controller could easily be set up to manage it.

I am going to continue with the software path until I run out of idea's or you get your s working fully. Then I will follow your route.

I re-coded my software last night to include the "Heartbeat" 0x11A command, I hoping that it might trigger a refresh cycle in the BMS.
It's the only command that looks like it might trigger something It is sent by the VCM, it has 4 states it cycles through. I am guessing that it might be the BMS, OBC/PD, Inverter and possible one or more of the other systems are watching it. 0x11A does not seem to convey much real information. It is just transmitted every 10ms repeating the pattern every 40ms.

0x11A 8 0 80 0 AA C0 0 0 67 // repeated commands from a recording of Al's Car
0x11A 8 0 80 0 55 00 0 1 71
0x11A 8 0 80 0 55 40 0 2 BC
0x11A 8 0 80 0 AA 80 0 3 AA

Indeed be safe, I have had a few minor incidents. One thing I learned is watch the insulation value of your wiring, some of the small gauge hook up wire and even larger gauge have very low insulation voltage at around 125 volts. When working with 400 volts I had two wires from the main pack short thru the insulation and an added rubber insulator after about 5 minutes of low current operation. Lesson learned, rubber is not a good insulator, neither is cat5 cable. unmarked cable is risky, I only use 600 volt cable now but note that even 600 volt rated electrical tape is vulnerable to any kind of impact if you do not have a good number or wraps. With these kinds of high voltage and current situations once something goes wrong usually with a loud crack the burning insulation creates an arc path and turns the whole thing into a beautiful carbon arc light for a moment. Ah yes and your fuses vaporize :). It's best to use high insulation silicone wire and gloves, glasses etc.

Good luck and thanks for the documentation.

Hi! I have been trying to get my gen2 obc/pdm working using svizpdm method without any success yet. The dc/dc works by only supplying 12v+ to pin 16 and 18 on connector B24.

Ive followed the instructions and got the AC relay to close. The pwm on pin 18 on UCC2895 won't start from grounding the component seen in step 4. UCC2895 pin 20 shows 4.5v. Analog signal is supplied to the MCP4728 with a potentiometer. Is there something else that has to be connected or modified to make this work?

Wow, well done, nice to see someone else attempting to replicate Svizpdm's significant work. This may turn out to be the best way to use the charger. My work on the software end continues but I am continuing to watch this as well. Good luck.

Clanarn said:
Hi! I have been trying to get my gen2 obc/pdm working using svizpdm method without any success yet. The dc/dc works by only supplying 12v+ to pin 16 and 18 on connector B24.

Ive followed the instructions and got the AC relay to close. The pwm on pin 18 on UCC2895 won't start from grounding the component seen in step 4. UCC2895 pin 20 shows 4.5v. Analog signal is supplied to the MCP4728 with a potentiometer. Is there something else that has to be connected or modified to make this work?

Hello, I apologize for the long answer was busy) To start, you need to unsolder pin 6 of the MCP4728 microcircuit and apply voltage to the PCB pin from 0 to 4 volts (current) Attention, take the ground from the MCP4728.
P.S.
There is a working version of control via the CAN bus) My friend Taras from Ukraine did it and uses it safely. I will ask him to share))) Good luck to everyone and large capacity in your batteries))))

I was thinking a lot about building my own controller for use in my electric vehicle conversion project using LEAF parts. But then I found the Resolve-EV controller. This allows you to use the motor/inverter/charger/DC-DC/BMS with one single replacement VCU, and keep minimal amount of wires. Link for anyone curios, I am not affiliated, I bought this product since the specs look so good :D https://www.resolve-ev.com/

@Dala, does the resolve controller allow upping the current through the inverter for more power? Very curious to keep up with your conversion and if more performance can be squeezed out :)

Dala said:
I was thinking a lot about building my own controller for use in my electric vehicle conversion project using LEAF parts. But then I found the Resolve-EV controller. This allows you to use the motor/inverter/charger/DC-DC/BMS with one single replacement VCU, and keep minimal amount of wires. Link for anyone curios, I am not affiliated, I bought this product since the specs look so good :D https://www.resolve-ev.com/

Wow, this looks very nice, too bad I spent 2 years trying to figure out some of this. I am waiting to hear from the developer if it will work stand alone with either batteries/LBC and/or the Charger stand alone.

Very cool device, from my work I can see lots of work went in to this, the documentation looks great and installation easy.

Thanks for sharing this.
I note and did not ask the vendor yet, it indicates 24KW battery packs, does it do larger packs 30Kw needed for sure. Also wonder about the matched motor,inverter ? Do you know what the conditions of that requirement are , I have assumed the motors are just 3 phase with no internal electronics, possibly resolver's and motor electrical characteristics. Hard to imagine that the Inverter is matched to a motor vs the inverter being smart enough to learn motor characteristics when it leaves the factory and as it ages.
Any thoughts ?

The resolve project has been going for a long time, and I'm really surprised it's been finished as I've heard through the grapevine that there were some serious issues getting the charger and PDM to work (the rest was already figured out by Thunderstruck). By the way, Thunderstruck also has had a Leaf controller for a few years, but it required an external charger and dc/dc converter.

The inverter and motor are indeed unmatched, not even calibration data is loaded. There is an EEPROM in the inverter, but it's only for some inverter-specific offset/linearity calibration.

Also as a general warning to anybody trying to actually use the Resolve controller or any other third party controller in an EV conversion: some regulations will prohibit you from using this! At least in Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Belgium (and probably more countries, but this is what I know for sure) you need to have a certified EMC test result with the drivetrain as-installed. This is a type of EMC testing that is quite hard to do and as a result relatively expensive. Moreover, not all countries allow recertification of used parts for a new install. It's all very stupid, I know, but this is why most current EV conversions are done with specially engineered sets like EVHypE which have all the required paperwork already done. It is much cheaper to buy a ready-made kit than to use a Leaf drivetrain and get it tested.

Good information and Thanks. I am still plugging away on my project for now.
My Leaf BMS Simulator now appears to be working, I am just making sure may data is being displayed correctly.
Hope to move to testing on the leaf first then move it to the RAV4.
Still hoping to get the charger working once I know I am communicating with everything correctly.

All the best to you.
Peter

mux said:
Also as a general warning to anybody trying to actually use the Resolve controller or any other third party controller in an EV conversion: some regulations will prohibit you from using this! At least in Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Belgium (and probably more countries, but this is what I know for sure) you need to have a certified EMC test result with the drivetrain as-installed. This is a type of EMC testing that is quite hard to do and as a result relatively expensive. Moreover, not all countries allow recertification of used parts for a new install. It's all very stupid, I know, but this is why most current EV conversions are done with specially engineered sets like EVHypE which have all the required paperwork already done. It is much cheaper to buy a ready-made kit than to use a Leaf drivetrain and get it tested.

They specifically removed the EMC test requirements for converting vehicles older than 2002 here in Finland, to boost the number of gasoline->EV conversions. These rules come into effect 03.2021, and are oh so needed for my EVNX project :) Finland is becoming the easiest place in EU to do EV conversions at this rate, only 6 requirements need to be fulfilled for a road-legal conversion.

Press release in Finnish: https://www.traficom.fi/fi/ajankohtaista/uusi-maarays-auton-ja-sen-peravaunun-rakenteen-muuttaminen

49thdiver said:
I note and did not ask the vendor yet, it indicates 24KW battery packs, does it do larger packs 30Kw needed for sure. Also wonder about the matched motor,inverter ? Do you know what the conditions of that requirement are , I have assumed the motors are just 3 phase with no internal electronics, possibly resolver's and motor electrical characteristics. Hard to imagine that the Inverter is matched to a motor vs the inverter being smart enough to learn motor characteristics when it leaves the factory and as it ages.
Any thoughts ?

In theory it should be possible to use any 24/30/40/62kWh pack with it, as long as you put a CAN-bridge that converts the CAN data to 24kWh format. I plan on testing this later on, don't see why it wouldn't be possible!

Dala said:
Press release in Finnish: https://www.traficom.fi/fi/ajankohtaista/uusi-maarays-auton-ja-sen-peravaunun-rakenteen-muuttaminen

As beautiful as your language is I could not find the English version on traficom.fi

With thanks for the info however.

Back