Do 2016 SV models sold in the US have battery heaters?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jjeff said:
jjeff said:
I plugged it in at 8am and will note the SOC% when it stops charging, I'll leave it plugged in and then recheck the SOC% tomorrow morning to make sure the SOC% is the same and hasn't dropped due to the battery heater which I'm guessing will be on all day today and tonight(-18F tomorrow morning forecast and high -4F today).

On another note, I plugged in my '13S yesterday evening and it charged to 100% and stopped charging, I left the EVSE hooked up and like my '12SL I'm guessing the battery heater ran all night long. When I checked it's SOC at 8am this morning it was still 100% which tells me the car must have started charging again last night as otherwise it would have dropped SOC, that's a good thing.

Well I think I've discovered something and like basically everything else about my '12 It's a negative :(
First, while I plugged it in yesterday morning at 8am it wasn't until about 2pm it stopped charging and went to sleep, 6hrs to go from 65% SOC to 85% which is where it finally stopped, 20% in the summer would have taken a little more than an hour at the 240v @ 16a I fed it. Note I didn't note the charging speed but I'd guess is was very low to have taken so long. Regardless at 2pm Sunday SOC was 85% and most of the time I looked after that the 300w battery heater was on(single driver's side blue light flashing on the dash). Note I have a LeafDD display always hooked to the OBDII port and every time the heater ran and light flashed, my LeafDD powered up and I could see the SOC without powering on the car. My EVSE charge light also flashed like it was actually charging but it's my belief it was not charging at all, wish that EVSE had a display but just the lights. Anyway one reason I believe it did NOT actually charge as this morning at 6am, 16h after I plugged it in, my SOC was 75% :x this tells me my fear was correct, once the '12 stops charging it does NOT wake up to charge again, even if the battery warmer draws down the battery! You'd need to cycle the j1772 or possibly push the timer override button to get it to charge. Note I don't have a timer set so maybe that wouldn't work but thinking it through maybe a timer would solve this issue at at the specified time it might start charging if the battery were not full? Note this is NOT how my '13 works, it works better IMO in that if you leave the EVSE plugged in the car will automatically wake up if the heater draws down the traction batter, another + for post '12 Leafs.

One last follow-up as I don't believe we're going to have any more sub-zero days this year(and that's just fine with me!). I kept my '12 plugged in for a couple more days past above and I'm happy, for whatever reason the SOC never dropped below 78% even though we had several sub-zero nights and I could see the batter warmer was on. It must have restarted charging the battery but I don't know why it didn't go up to the low low 90s which is normally where it stops. Maybe if I still have the vehicle next year I'll experiment with a daily timer to see if that helps maintain a higher SOC, otherwise I'm just going to chalk it up to another quirky feature of the '12 as it relates to charging.

I'm on the fence here - I have a 2108 SV and don't wish to hijack this thread, but starting a second one might be silly.

Anyhow, what is the deal with BATTERY WARMERS on the 2018 SV ?

The Owners Manual states "If so equipped". Don't you hate those words ?

I called NIssan, and the fellow who answered stated the 2018 SV has no Battery Warmer, but could not say why. He basically had no helpful knowlege.

I seem to recall seeing the battery warmer light on in mine once this Winter, but I couldn't swear to it. It may have been charging the 12 volt battery instead.

Fair warning... this is my first forum post. So if I'm breaking rules, just let me know and I'll try to do better. Even though this is an older thread, I figured I'd post my question/problem here since it's basically the same question. Here's my situation...

Earlier this spring I joined team EV and bought a 2016 Leaf SL and had it moved from Vancouver to Winnipeg. I love the car, even with the current 115km range limit. The car was originally registered in Houston and has spent most of it's life in Texas and Arizona. I'm sure it was the southern heat the resulted in the battery having only 8/12 SOH when I bought it and brought it to Winnipeg. I checked with various dealers as well as Nissan Canada before purchasing to be assured that the battery would still be covered under warranty. I drove it for a few months, and when the SOH dropped to 7/12 I took it in to make the warranty claim. The good news is they're going to do a full battery replacement. The better news is they're going to put a 40kWh battery in since they no longer have any 30kWh units. That part I'm happy about. The catch is that they say according to my VIN, my car doesn't have a battery warmer in it now, so the new battery won't either. Being in Winnipeg and without a garage available to park in, this has me a bit worried. So here come my questions:

1) Did anyone from this thread ever determine if the 2016 SV/SL models from the states have battery warmers or not?
2) Is there a way to tell from the car itself if it has a battery warmer? Is there a diagnostics procedure that will test it? Battery part # cross reference? Specific wiring bundle, harness, plug, fuse, relay or other physical feature to look for? I don't really want to wait until January to find out the hard way.
3) Has anyone seen a 2016 battery without a heater in it? I've read in a few places that some people seem to think they all have heaters, but the info is spotty and possibly model year dependent.
4) What will happen if I install a battery with a heater in place of one without? Will the car go? Will the heater work? Is there something in the computer that needs to be set to tell the car it has a heater now?

Before you jump on me for asking these questions here, I did ask the dealer already. They didn't seem to know much at all about the car, and had to call Techline at Nissan Canada for almost everything. Considering they had 2 Leaf trained mechanics working on it, I was greatly underwhelmed with their knowledge level. They admitted that they have only worked on one Leaf battery... ever. Very friendly and sincere though, so I'll give them points for honesty. I'm in the process of switching to a different dealer that apparently has more experience with the Leaf, but I'd like to have some knowledge going in so I can probe them a bit to see if I can get them to change their mind. I think it's ridiculous that a company would build a car with heated seats (front and back), steering wheel, mirrors, and 2 cabin heaters, but then leave out the battery heater.

Thanks for reading this super long post. If you can answer any of these, that's awesome. If you can point me to answers, that's awesome too. I've spent a lot of time searching for this, but the internet is a big place. If you need more info/detail, just say so. Thanks everyone, and Happy Canada Day!

The debate continues on the battery warmer. It may be that the physical 300 watt warmer present in most Gen 1.0 Leafs was quietly replaced by firmware that just uses some power to generate a little heat. Or not. One thing I can suggest is something that I've seen mention of here as being done, but no word on how well it worked: using engine oil pan warmers stuck on the battery's cover to provide a little heat. You may want to look into that...

Based upon discussion and images from the service manual in earlier posts, your dealer is probably correct about no battery heater. You should be OK with the new battery by setting charge timers and climate control timers so that the car charges periodically throughout the night (assuming you can keep it plugged in while parked in your driveway).

Back