My Leaf won't charge after the cold snap

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARY

The electrical outlet is working because I get one blue light and one beep when I plug the charger into the car. I need 3 beeps for it to charge. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

mary

Welcome to the forum. We need more information: How cold was the cold snap, and how long did it last? How much charge did the car have when plugged in? Do you normally use that outlet to charge? Are you using the Nissan-supplied charging cable? If not, what charging station or cable are you using? Hopefully we can figure this out.

Possible communication issue with the car and the connector or the outlet itself is not grounded properly to begin the power draw, a lot of possibilities without more info. :!:

Which of the three blue lights is lit up? If all three lights light up in succession, one at a time, then that would be normal if you have a charging timer enable. If that's the case, you need to press the charge timer override button.

immediatechargeswitch.png

If you don't normally need to press that override button to initiate a charge, then you may have unintentionally enabled a charge timer.

The cold snap was 10 days, now in the 50's. The cord has survived far worse cold in previous winters. The charger is a Nissan charger. The outlet has always worked. The blue light that beeps as you face the car is the one on the left of the 3. The year of the car is 2012, maybe 2011. I'll check. I don't think I have a charging timer enable button in this older Leak. What next? Thanks!

mary

Confirm that you do not have a charge timer enabled. My 2011, 2015, and 2019 all have (had) a charge timer override button. How cold was the temperature for the 10 days? The early 2011's did not have the cold weather package so they did not have battery heater, but I would expect the battery to survive and be able to charge after the battery warms above freezing. You could also leave the car plugged in for a while to see if the pattern of blue light(s) change.

MARY said:
The cold snap was 10 days, now in the 50's. The cord has survived far worse cold in previous winters. The charger is a Nissan charger. The outlet has always worked. The blue light that beeps as you face the car is the one on the left of the 3. The year of the car is 2012, maybe 2011. I'll check. I don't think I have a charging timer enable button in this older Leak. What next? Thanks!

mary
Does the "Nissan charger" have a flashing green light or steady green light on it when plugged into the outlet before plugging into the car? When plugged into the car, does that green light change in any way? Just basic troubleshooting, do you know what charge level the car already has when you turn on the car and read the dash? The first beep you hear is just to confirm that the car is plugged in, you'll hear it whether the EVSE (Nissan charger) has power or doesn't.

Mary,

Start with your user manual. Here is the 2012
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/NissanLEAF/2012/2012-NissanLEAF-owner-manual.pdf

Troubleshooting is on pages CH-26 through CH-29

Notice and use the terms that are used in the manual; they let us all talk the same the same lingo:
illuminate ( a light turns on and stays on for more than a few seconds, usually a few minutes)
flash (a light turns on for a brief moment)
EVSE (the electric cable with an electronic box along its length)
indicator light
beep (a sound)

They are a bit clumsy, but we are all having trouble understanding what you mean.
It would help us help you if you do the following:

Describe the status of the indicator lights on the EVSE before you plug it into the car
Describe the status of the indicator lights on the car dash before you plug in the EVSE

Describe the status of the indicator lights on the EVSE after you plug it into the car
Describe the status of the indicator lights on the car dash after you plug in the EVSE

Back