The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
danrjones said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I've done multiple short DC sessions at the station near me. But I always stop before hitting 70% SOC. Did not seem to impact my HX. Sample size of one (just me) and its during winter (and short session) so my pack doesn't get hot, so hard to draw conclusions.

I haven't charged to above 70% either. In most cases, I was only charging to 45-55% (the knee on 200 amp stations)

I guess my real question is what is the desirable Hx? Because I see ones with high Hx still getting relatively large chunks on adjustment day while others with Hx in high 90's or low 100's getting no adjustment, very small adjustments or positive adjustments.

Now there is always exceptions so all my comments should be taken as "majority" observations.

I have no idea what HX is desirable (good question) or if it is good to be low or high, or makes no difference. I was just doing an experiment because I could.

My HX is lower than yours and yet my SOH is not better, and for my mileage (about 8700 miles total), one could say my SOH is worse.
Right now my best guess is that SOH is primarily related to age, secondarily related to climate and cycles. But the BMS could also be hiding the real answer.

With the new packs, there is little difference for the first 7-10% degradation other than time. So mileage, charging habits, climate, etc. None seem to matter. My clock started Nov 2019. There is some evidence that exercise seems to help but not a lot, maybe 2-3%. So drive more, pack "seems" healthier but I am not all that convinced the BMS is giving us the straight story.

DaveinOlyWA said:
With the new packs, there is little difference for the first 7-10% degradation other than time. So mileage, charging habits, climate, etc. None seem to matter. My clock started Nov 2019. There is some evidence that exercise seems to help but not a lot, maybe 2-3%. So drive more, pack "seems" healthier but I am not all that convinced the BMS is giving us the straight story.

That all sounds about right from what I've seen. I bought my 2018 in 2019 but it had been sitting around on the dealer lot for a year I think.

I'm curious to see what happens in the 3-5 year period on these but honestly I don't think I'll keep it that long. I'm eyeing the Audi Q4 Etron depending on the entry price.

danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

That all sounds about right from what I've seen. I bought my 2018 in 2019 but it had been sitting around on the dealer lot for a year I think.

I'm curious to see what happens in the 3-5 year period on these but honestly I don't think I'll keep it that long. I'm eyeing the Audi Q4 Etron depending on the entry price.

Surprised you aren't waiting for Toyota's solid state? Will be here in...2 years...maybe 3.

DaveinOlyWA said:
danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I haven't charged to above 70% either. In most cases, I was only charging to 45-55% (the knee on 200 amp stations)

I guess my real question is what is the desirable Hx? Because I see ones with high Hx still getting relatively large chunks on adjustment day while others with Hx in high 90's or low 100's getting no adjustment, very small adjustments or positive adjustments.

Now there is always exceptions so all my comments should be taken as "majority" observations.

I have no idea what HX is desirable (good question) or if it is good to be low or high, or makes no difference. I was just doing an experiment because I could.

My HX is lower than yours and yet my SOH is not better, and for my mileage (about 8700 miles total), one could say my SOH is worse.
Right now my best guess is that SOH is primarily related to age, secondarily related to climate and cycles. But the BMS could also be hiding the real answer.

So I just got my first readjustment on my 20 Plus since buying in November. Today is the anniversary from when the car was built. SOH is at 97.08% compared to 91.75% with my 19 non-Plus at the anniversary mark. On my non-Plus, I had over 200 more QCs, and 20,000 more miles difference so that may be the reason for the difference in SOH at the 1 year mark.

As far as solid state batteries, I wonder how expensive the chargers will be and how much charging will cost?

Triggerhappy007 said:
As far as solid state batteries, I wonder how expensive the chargers will be and how much charging will cost?
I suggest you first wonder how much they will cost and how long they will last.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Surprised you aren't waiting for Toyota's solid state? Will be here in...2 years...maybe 3.

My wife seems to think the badge on the front and back matter, in so much as a status symbol. I could care less but she wants a luxury vehicle. Seems to be part of her genetics.

I do like Volvo but the XC40 recharge is over priced and under delivered in terms of range. The "rumor" is the Q4 etron will start much lower in price and have a range about the same as the ID4.

As far as Toyota, I don't like the direction they have taken regarding EVs.

danrjones said:
My wife seems to think the badge on the front and back matter, in so much as a status symbol. I could care less but she wants a luxury vehicle. Seems to be part of her genetics.
I take it you drove the LEAF. Were you forced to park it in front of the neighbor's house ?

Triggerhappy007 said:

I have no doubt we will have plenty of time to contemplate that question. This from an area where 75% of DC chargers still run at 100-125 amps

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
I take it you drove the LEAF. Were you forced to park it in front of the neighbor's house ?

Actually I rather like the hatchback design and think it looks just fine.
But the wife grew up in a culture where status symbols matter, and she wants the next EV to be a luxury vehicle.
The real problem is that she drove it a few times and realized how much better an EV actually is.

As to me, I want more range and a better ability to fast charge it. I like my Tesla stock, but still not a big fan of the interior design with just a single screen on the Y. More importantly, I want that 7500 tax credit. As I said, my favorite of the next batch is the XC-40 but Volvo screwed up in price and poor range.

I also really like the design of the Recharge. If it had 300 epa miles, it could at least feel like a do-able value. At 208 and the auto shows showing what looks more like 150s, also agree , no thanks.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I also really like the design of the Recharge. If it had 300 epa miles, it could at least feel like a do-able value. At 208 and the auto shows showing what looks more like 150s, also agree , no thanks.

Exactly. If you do the most basic build you can, it is $55085 with destination before tax or credits. And that wouldn't get you a lot of the good Tech or even safety packages or heat pump or a color that wouldn't fry my butt here in the summer.

So back on topic, should I keep going with my HX experiment or does it even matter? I'm going to have to charge to 100% when I take my car in next month anyway.

How often do various folks here charge to 100%? I've always wondered if an occasional full charge is good for the BMS to help figure out how much SOH you actually have.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I am now trying to ensure to do 1 100% charge per quarter to see if it lessens the quarterly adjustments or not. Next adjustments in Feb and March on the cars.

Any change would be inconclusive. Its not like the adjustments are predictable with any kind of accuracy. A much easier task is tracking Hx I would think. At least you have daily feedback of it going up or down.

Lately, I have been wondering if Hx responds to time at very low or very high SOC? I am doing a quarter where the aim will be no lower than 30% SOC (target actually 45%), no higher than 75% (typical would be 60%) this is higher than the previous quarter when I was running primarily from 20 to 45%

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I am now trying to ensure to do 1 100% charge per quarter to see if it lessens the quarterly adjustments or not. Next adjustments in Feb and March on the cars.

Any change would be inconclusive. Its not like the adjustments are predictable with any kind of accuracy. A much easier task is tracking Hx I would think. At least you have daily feedback of it going up or down.

Lately, I have been wondering if Hx responds to time at very low or very high SOC? I am doing a quarter where the aim will be no lower than 30% SOC (target actually 45%), no higher than 75% (typical would be 60%) this is higher than the previous quarter when I was running primarily from 20 to 45%

That theory is exactly what I was starting to think.

Trip report and data from my trip to my dealer last Friday.

My dealer is almost exactly 90 miles from my house. Had my tires at 40 psi. Was about 30f outside, plus or minus during the drive.
Had my charge timer set to be ready at 6:00 am, left my house at 6:30.
For some reason it never actually reached 100%, so my GOM had 98% while leaf spy showed 96.7%.

Arrived at the dealer with 10% showing on the GOM, Leafspy showed 20.1%. I had pre-heated so no heating during the drive needed, just seat and wheel turned on. ABRP (A Better Route Planner) said that with 10% battery degradation and starting at SOC of 100%, I should have arrived with 14% battery. One thing I'm not clear is whether ABRP shows the SOC that I see in my GOM or whether that SOC is what I am seeing in LeafSpy. Anyone know? I'll use the GOM for the moment. As I only reached 98%, the adjusted destination for ABRP should have been 12%. Personally I think arriving at 10% is pretty close to the predicated results, and even a slight wind will dramatically change the arrival SOC. So trying to decide if my battery is really at 10% degradation is difficult. I ended up DC charging in three different chunks before and after the dealer appointment, which took 3+ hours to rotate my tires and adjust my door. So I'm not detailing the return trip. The third stat below is from the next day, and after some charging overnight. Hx definitely took a jump up. Hard to say whether it was from the DC charging or from the extended periods of time at high and low SOC. I am going to re-start my 30%-70% experiment and we will see what happens. One last interesting piece of data came from the MyLeaf app which says I used 26.31 kwh for that drive to the dealer. One can attempt some calculations using that number to obtain battery SOH. I've heard the useable battery is 36 kWh of the 40. The only question I have is whether the SOC in LeafSpy contains that unusable portion, or whether you can get down to 0% SOC in LeafSpy. That drastically changes the calculation.

Starting Stats (LeafSpy):
SOH: 90.02
AHr: 103.92
Hx: 102.71
SOC: 96.7

Arrival Stats:
SOH: 90.02
AHr: 103.92
Hx: 102.71
SOC: 20.1

Next Day Stats:
SOH: 90.01
AHr: 103.91
Hx: 102.96
SOC: 55.3%

Degradation Calculations (Leaf spy):
Actual Battery Used: 96.7%-20.1% =76.6%
Useable Pack Capacity: 26.31/.76.6 = 34.3 kWh.
Degradation: 34.3/36 = 95.3%

However, I think Leafspy SHOWS you some or all of the reserved part of the pack. I have never been able to see 100% SOC in LeafSpy. I don't know what you can get down to, but I think I heard 5%? So if Leafspy includes the hidden portion of the battery, the math is very different. For the second version I will use the car's reported SOC.

Degradation Calculations:
Actual Battery Used: 98%-10% = 88%
Useable Pack Capacity: 26.31/.88 = 29.9 kWh.
Degradation: 29.9/36 = 83%

Honesty I don't think either 95% or 83% make sense. So maybe LeafSpy is showing some but not all of the reserved battery? Without knowing how much, it is hard to get the math correct.

I would be curious if people assume ABRP to show your GOM SOC % or the SOC in Leafspy, and what the lowest LeafSpy SOC you have ever gotten down to?

I've read that the '40 kWh' LEAF starts with 38 kWh usable. I'm not sure if it is correct but starting from that point:

Your SoC dropped 76.6% and per LSpy you consumed 26.31 kWh
That implies total usable of 26.31/0.766 = 34.34 kWh
If new is 38 kWh then degradation is 1 - 34.34/38 = 9.5%

That matches up well with the reported SOH drop

---
I would not make much of one trip, but 3 miles per kWh without heat use is low. An Audi in your hands is going to post some *really* low numbers unless you were driving on flat tyres. Or perhaps you left the handbrake on ?

---
Albuquerque was 50F and sunny today but the Model 3 battery was mid 30sF when I left home for a 30 mile drive today. First to the state park for a walk and then downtown to buy our favorite salsa. I drive gently for the most part, stay below 70 mph on the highway, and don't pay attention to fuel economy until I get home. The trip worked out to 5.5 miles/kWh. Pretty typical.

I also calculated my '100% SoC range' before I walked into the house. 318 miles -- no decrease in almost 3 years. BORING

SageBrush said:
I've read that the '40 kWh' LEAF starts with 38 kWh usable. I'm not sure if it is correct but starting from that point:

Your SoC dropped 76.6% and per LSpy you consumed 26.31 kWh
That implies total usable of 26.31/0.766 = 34.34 kWh
If new is 38 kWh then degradation is 1 - 34.34/38 = 9.5%

That matches up well with the reported SOH drop

---
I would not make much of one trip, but 3 miles per kWh without heat use is low. An Audi in your hands is going to post some *really* low numbers unless you were driving on flat tyres. Or perhaps you left the handbrake on ?

---
Albuquerque was 50F and sunny today but the Model 3 battery was mid 30sF when I left home for a 30 mile drive today. First to the state park for a walk and then downtown to buy our favorite salsa. I drive gently for the most part, stay below 70 mph on the highway, and don't pay attention to fuel economy until I get home. The trip worked out to 5.5 miles/kWh. Pretty typical.

I also calculated my '100% SoC range' before I walked into the house. 318 miles -- no decrease in almost 3 years. BORING

Agree with your math, if the useable portion is 38. I've seen 36 also online. I also don't know if LeafSpy shows SOC including or excluding the reserved.

My miles per kWh was 3.4. That's always been about my highway number with tires at 40psi and at 70 mph. (Done this trip multiple times over the last couple years and my miles per kWh seems consistent) Keep in mind this route has terrain. Around town I get ~ 5 to 5.5 miles per kWh on a nice day. And no, the brake wasn't on. in fact I think the Leaf auto kicks off your electric parking break if you try that.

Also, remember my numbers match ABRP pretty closely.

The 98% reading on a "full" charge is normal and means pack was under the impression that more balancing was coming. I saw the same on my car and guess what? The move from 98% to 100% REDUCED my GOM by one mile.

Either way, its a waste of time to wait on 100%. I only did it because I didn't set a timer and had no appt so I pushed the issue.

Back