Official Hyundai Ioniq 5 topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
I wholeheartedly disagree.

Even 4-5 miles a day reduces the load of EVs have on the grid. It sounds like this roof will be in the 250-300 watt hour peak ballpark. A smartly designed EV could get to close to 1000 over time. You have to start somewhere.
Generating 4-5 miles a day is peanuts ... but if I said vampire drain was 4-5 miles a day, people would be apoplectic, right ?

This shows that most people's opinions are a waste of good bandwidth but the kernel of truth here is that it is context dependent. The story starts with cost and ends with alternative charging. If I want to go camping off-grid for a couple of weeks then car roof PV (presuming it is not shaded) is awesome. On the flip side, if the car roof PV is competing with home PV I can install for under $1 a watt, then it is a hard pass.

For *me*, I would not buy it for a car but if it was not too expensive I would think about it on a cybertruck.

For an urban street parked ev, the owner might go from a 2x weekly full DC charge to 1 - 2x monthly partial DC charge. That both reduces pull on grid as well as significantly reduce charging costs for the owner.

DougWantsALeaf said:
For an urban street parked ev, the owner might go from a 2x weekly full DC charge to 1 - 2x monthly partial DC charge.

Your arithmetic does not pass the sniff test

Take an urban EV like the Honda E, 30/40 Leaf, or Mini. 120 mile range. Assuming you want to keep it between 80% and 20%, you have maybe 60-70 miles usable. A 12-15 mile daily (M-F) drive will have you DC charging 1x or 2x a week.

If you have a +5 miles solar a day, that's 35 or a week.

Start at 100 miles range --> 100-60+35 = 75 post week one

Start at 75 miles week 2 --> 75 - 60 + 35 = 50 post week 2

Start at 50 miles week 3 --> 50 - 60 +35 = 25 post week 3

Recharge in week 4

Isn't the CyberTruck suppose to have a solar option as well?

I'm on the fence. On one hand, why not, extra range is extra range while its sitting on a camping trip or while I'm backpacking.
But at what cost?

I also want a hard-shell camper top for the cybertruck, which because of the angled bed design -> if one is made, will certainly be extra money.
And I'm already forced to look at the most expensive truck because I want the range.

To me the 18 minute charging time is a bigger deal than the solar. My guess is it will be cheaper to simply add more panels to my house than pay for a couple thousand dollars for this option.

LeftieBiker said:
For camping it seems to me that a portable solar generator is the way to go. You can always mount the panels on the camper or shell.

Yes and I bet buying your own panels and an inverter is cheaper than the Hyundai or Tesla "option"

A 120v inverter and a charge controller can be found for cheap on amazon. 100 watt 12v panels are less than $100.
So you could easily build a 500 watt system for $600 for your RV or whatever.

I guess we will have to wait to see what Tesla and Hyundai charge.

Best styling award (my own) goes to: https://insideevs.com/news/490967/hyundai-ioniq-5-high-demand-south-korea/
Forget "Ford v Ferrari", it's now "Ford v Hyundai" in 2021. Competing in size category to a Mustang Mach E directly.
hyundai-ioniq-5-front-1-lead-1.jpg

Why is it called "5"? Seats 5? I thought the current Ioniq seats 5. They have a "6" planned, BTW.

Well, the Koreans keep hitting Styling Home Runs. They did it again. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35824489/2022-kia-ev6-design-specs/
The competition is heating up fast:
2022-kia-ev6-104-1615580425.jpg

LeftieBiker said:
I wouldn't call cars like the Kona a 'styling home run' (more like a foul into the bleachers) but this car is nice looking.
Agree but that Ionic looks like a winner, also don't forget the Kia Soul and its homely grill(but voltamps did hint at recent). The PHEV Ionic 5 may very well be my daughter's next vehicle, well if we feel like driving to CO to pick one up..... Last we checked it was only available for sale in CARB states :(

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
I wouldn't call cars like the Kona a 'styling home run' (more like a foul into the bleachers) but this car is nice looking.
Agree but that Ionic looks like a winner, also don't forget the Kia Soul and its homely grill(but voltamps did hint at recent). The PHEV Ionic 5 may very well be my daughter's next vehicle, well if we feel like driving to CO to pick one up..... Last we checked it was only available for sale in CARB states :(

I thought the Ioniq 5 was on a BEV platform. So you mean the older Ioniq PHEV?

LeftieBiker said:

I like the look of the Kona better than the original Bolt though, but the backseat legroom in the Kona is a deal breaker....

Triggerhappy007 said:
jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:

I agree, I think the new ioniq sub brand is all BEV.

Triggerhappy007 said:
jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:

Yes sorry, the Ioniq sedan is what I was referring to which has a PHEV.

I agree with those above essentially saying the Kona has awkward, but not "ugly" styling. The old Ioniq (not the new Ioniq5) & the Niro have always been OK, conservative styling. I think the recent Soul styling updates make it look kinda cool. All subjective of course.

As for the real topic of this thread, the Ioniq 5 (and it's cousin the Kia EV6) looks very cool. Most would agree with me on that. Pre-orders have already proven this to be true.

The Ariya will compete directly with all the new stuff coming out. It looks good too, so the market is getting competitive. Plenty of nice EVs coming out.

Back