What is going to be your next EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just purchased our second Leaf, a 2015 SL. We are hopefully set for awhile. I always wanted a pick-up EV. But we would have to wait for the used market to mature and I'm not sure we would still be driving by that time. Oh well . . . :)

Some corporation - maybe even Nissan - did a good job of making a one-off Leaf Pickup.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nis...biw=939&bih=609&dpr=1.36#imgrc=iCPwgWcPPUIj7M

nissan-leaf-pickup-truck_100481784.jpg

LeftieBiker said:
Some corporation - maybe even Nissan - did a good job of making a one-off Leaf Pickup.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nis...biw=939&bih=609&dpr=1.36#imgrc=iCPwgWcPPUIj7M

nissan-leaf-pickup-truck_100481784.jpg

Yeah, found this on another site:

"Called "Sparky," the Leaf pickup was built by an engineers at Nissan's proving ground in Stanfield, Arizona.
Engineers say the bed fit perfectly behind the shortened Leaf cabin, although it did have to be narrowed to fit within the electric car's track.
The truck is used to haul parts around the Stanfield facility, where Nissan conducts hot-weather testing on production vehicles.

This limited use is pretty much all Nissan has planned for the Leaf pickup, though.

From the way "Sparky" was cobbled together from different vehicles, it's clear Nissan doesn't really plan to produce an electric pickup.
To build it, they spliced in the bed from a Frontier mid-size pickup, while keeping the front end of the Leaf intact."

That's still a pretty cool idea,

TomT said:
My choice was pretty easy, a Tesla Model 3 Long Range. Love the car! Don't miss the Leaf and it's handicapped battery!

Yes, I graduated from my 2011 Leaf to a 2019 Tesla Model 3 standard. Fantastic car that not only replaced my Leaf for daily commute, but i also use if for long distance travel to my parents and in-laws for holiday travel from LA to Sacramento and LA to Phoenix. Leaf had no way to do this, and I always just rented a car for holidays. Nice to not have to do that every time. My wife had a BMW i3 and we just upgraded her car to a used 2013 Model S, so now we have two long distance EV's and we could not be happier. I have a Cybertruck reservation and I plan to replace the Model S with the Cybertruck which will be our next EV to circle round to the topic of this thread.

TomT said:
My choice was pretty easy, a Tesla Model 3 Long Range. Love the car! Don't miss the Leaf and it's handicapped battery!

2nd that. Dumped the lease to Carmax, walked away with a check, just took delivery of my LR-AWD Tesla Model 3.
The car is phenomenal, lots of toys and a very intuitive display.

However, there is one surprise. There is no XM radio in the car! While driving the car home from the delivery location I was looking for the free Sirius XM radio offer, nope, does not exist. So I am using Spotify premium. The Spotify application is in the car. Also, no Apple Car Play or Android equivalent. Tesla is very independent. It is their way or the highway. Seems they can get away with it, their entire 2nd quarter production is sold out and they have raised prices 3 times in the lat 45 days. Just crazy.

Just wanted to come back to the forum where I cut my teeth on EV’s. Quite frankly my SL was quite a good car, never had a mechanical issue with it. I felt like a pioneer in the EV marketplace. I need longer range for trips without recharging and wanted AWD this time.

salyavin said:
Ariya looks attractive but one thing I need to verify is it looks like the Ariya may have less cargo room than the LEAF.
What I have (maybe wrong)
Ariya
Cargo volume 16.5 cu ft (FWD)
14.6 (e-4ORCE)

LEAF
Cargo volume 23.6 cu ft

is this right? If less cargo room than a LEAF I have little use for it.

The ID.4 has 30.3 for comparison. I am talking about keeping the seats up with people in them.

That number is a bit misleading because for the Leaf that's all the way to the roof so how much of that number is "usable" is questionable, especially if you have an SL with that lame Bose speaker box taking up precious floor space

dmacarthur said:
Mister Grumpy here will bet large bills that the RAV (or any other car of its weight, for that matter) will NEVER get 120 MPG when used beyond the EV capability. Drive, say, 200 miles, 40 on the battery and 160 on the ICE, you MAY see 60 MPG but Grumpy doubts it. And as for the RAV mileage when used for long trips: Grumpy doubts 45 but is willing to listen to real life stories. Too much finagling of numbers, let us see some actual info.....

https://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/rav4_prime

dmacarthur said:
Mister Grumpy here will bet large bills that the RAV (or any other car of its weight, for that matter) will NEVER get 120 MPG when used beyond the EV capability. Drive, say, 200 miles, 40 on the battery and 160 on the ICE, you MAY see 60 MPG but Grumpy doubts it. And as for the RAV mileage when used for long trips: Grumpy doubts 45 but is willing to listen to real life stories. Too much finagling of numbers, let us see some actual info.....

If you are not using brakes, extra car weight only matters about

RR*g*m*1000 joules per km

g - 9.8
m - extra car mass in Kg
RR -- tyre rolling resistance, in the range of 0.009 -- 0.011

Example:
An extra 100 kg of mass, presuming 0.01 RR, works out to 10k joules per km = 4.47 Wh/mile.
So a 200 mile jaunt without extra braking in a 500 Kg heavier car requires 4.5 kWh extra to offset the weight.

And if you are using brakes, regen recoups 30 - 50%

---
My experience with a Toyota type PHEV was a year ownership of the Prime. That car had about 5.3 kWh usable capacity between charges and I drove it 90 miles each time. I was a careful driver and mostly drive ~ 60 mph. I used to average 90-ish mpg in the Colorado winter and 110 - 125 mpg in benign weather. That few people will drive as I did is a given, but you should reconsider your wager because it is approaching the do-able at the lower end of the legal highway speed limit. FYI -- the RAV PHEV has 18.1 kWh nominal capacity. Back in the day Toyota allowed ~ 65% of nominal as usable for NiMH. I'm not sure if that has changed for the RAV.

SageBrush said:
FYI -- the RAV PHEV has 18.1 kWh nominal capacity. Back in the day Toyota allowed ~ 65% of nominal as usable for NiMH. I'm not sure if that has changed for the RAV.

I'm guessing they must have trimmed that down(the unusable that is) as the Rav4 Prime is supposed to have an EPA 40 mile EV-only range and I'd think they would need close to that 18.1 kWh to achieve that with a design like the Rav4. Could be wrong though and as a future owner, I wouldn't mind getting 40 miles EV with a large headroom for battery life, especially since I'm planning on running down the battery as much as possible before letting the ICE kick in. Unlike my Leaf where I very rarely run it down into a low SOC.

jjeff said:
SageBrush said:
FYI -- the RAV PHEV has 18.1 kWh nominal capacity. Back in the day Toyota allowed ~ 65% of nominal as usable for NiMH. I'm not sure if that has changed for the RAV.

I'm guessing they must have trimmed that down(the unusable that is) as the Rav4 Prime is supposed to have an EPA 40 mile EV-only range and I'd think they would need close to that 18.1 kWh to achieve that with a design like the Rav4. Could be wrong though and as a future owner, I wouldn't mind getting 40 miles EV with a large headroom for battery life, especially since I'm planning on running down the battery as much as possible before letting the ICE kick in. Unlike my Leaf where I very rarely run it down into a low SOC.
That is not how the Toyota PHEV works. You are in EV mode until the system automatically kicks you into HEV mode at a certain SOC. That was ~ 1.5 kWh usable remaining for the Prius Prime.

I googled for the usable in the RAV PHEV yesterday without a good answer. The best I found was a person who reported 17.1 kWh metered to go from 'empty' to 'full.' I presume he was using an L1 meter like kill-a-watt but it was not specified. If L1 charging efficiency is .... say ... 82% then 17.1*0.82 = 14 kWh went into the battery. That still does not clear up what fraction of the HEV SoC range was replenished so it remains uncertain what the usable kWh is in PHEV mode. I'll guess somewhere in the 13 - 13.5 range.

As for usable kWh in any *EV mode, that will be ~ 14/18.1 = 77%. If true, a definite bump up from earlier generations of HSD.

----
Sideways comment: I am *so* happy to not care about +/- a kWh in my Tesla.

SageBrush said:
That is not how the Toyota PHEV works. You are in EV mode until the system automatically kicks you into HEV mode at a certain SOC. That was ~ 1.5 kWh usable remaining for the Prius Prime.

I googled for the usable in the RAV PHEV yesterday without a good answer. The best I found was a person who reported 17.1 kWh metered to go from 'empty' to 'full.' I presume he was using an L1 meter like kill-a-watt but it was not specified. If L1 charging efficiency is .... say ... 82% then 17.1*0.82 = 14 kWh went into the battery. That still does not clear up what fraction of the HEV SoC range was used
I must have said something confusing as, thats how I was planning on using it. But I also thought, and maybe I'm wrong? that the Prime had some sort of save EV feature or even an option to force the ICE to run and charge the battery. I know other PHEVs have these options, I'm thinking of the Outlander PHEV has such options but I'd probably just leave it on EV first to get the most out of the battery and charge it up when I get home.

jjeff said:
I also thought, and maybe I'm wrong? that the Prime had some sort of save EV feature or even an option to force the ICE to run and charge the battery.
The Prius Prime had both, so it's a fair guess the RAV4 Prime will too. I never bothered with the force charge since I thought it was worse than useless but I routinely used HEV mode to conserve battery charge or to engage ICE heating in the winter.

My commute was urban - rural - urban - rural - urban. I would use EV mode for the urban portions and HEV mode for the rural drive. It was a nice game for a year. The embedded riddle is to maximize efficiency while minimizing pollution. It mostly boils down to minimizing ICE re-heats while using up all the usable battery SoC between charges.

---
I am so glad to drive an EV these days where that stuff is irrelevant. I'm much happier futzing with regulatory bodies and permits to build more PV and clean energy. The car dines on my efforts.

If there is a Rav4 Prime thread I'll update that in a few weeks. My car is waiting for me on a lot in RI and I'll probably buy it on the 22nd and ship it home then. I expect to be driving it around by the end of the month.

In the meantime, my understanding is that the Rav4 has a ICE mode, an EV mode and a 'mixed mode'. Or something like that. I'm sure the nomenclature is different but that is how I understand it. I'll find out once I take possession of the car.

goldbrick said:
If there is a Rav4 Prime thread I'll update that in a few weeks. My car is waiting for me on a lot in RI and I'll probably buy it on the 22nd and ship it home then. I expect to be driving it around by the end of the month.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30446
I thought CO was going to get the RAV4 Prime sooner than some non-CARB states like mine? I have read of people going to RI to get theirs sooner though. My daughter and I may end up driving to CO to get her new car as Hyundai doesn't seem fit to sell the Ionic PHEV in our state :( I think it's another CARB thing! We can get the hybrid Ionic but not EV or even PHEV, similar to what Honda did to my state.

We are leaning towards a Mach-e currently, but not sure we need a car for (at least) another year. It kind of depends on what our 17 and 19 year old kids do in the next 18 months.

Back