hbquikcomjamesl
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2020

Re: Add a spare tire!

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:03 pm

I just cobbled together a 27" cardboard disk, out of the box that had held a "diversity" lawn sign I had custom-made, to check whether it would be possible to stow a donut standing on edge on the port side of the trunk. It fits with room to spare, and if anything, the diameter is slightly larger than that of a regular Leaf tire.

It may be a while before I can actually afford a donut (I'm still recovering from buying the car).

The general consensus of this thread seems to be that in general, Altima donuts will fit a Leaf; does anybody have direct knowledge of whether that is true of the 2018 model year?
--
James H. H. Lampert

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:20 pm

They haven't changed the wheels - the '15 17" Juke rims that fit my 2013 also fit my 2018. The "Leaf II" is actually about 75% "Leaf I." As long as the diameter matches, and you have the right year Altima donut, you should have no trouble.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

chinobnvds
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2021

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Is it just me who never uses the spare tire on my car? I've never been in an accident before where I need to replace one of my tires. Usually, I avail of a set once they are worn out.

mcmancuso
Delivery Date: 14 May 2021

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:39 am

chinobnvds wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:28 pm
Is it just me who never uses the spare tire on my car? I've never been in an accident before where I need to replace one of my tires. Usually, I avail of a set once they are worn out.
I change a tire every year or two, lots of nails and other stabby junk on the highways around Texas.

hbquikcomjamesl
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2020

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:05 pm

Having dealt with a catastrophic tire failure (on my way to a concert, the evening of October 12, 2014, and thanks to the exposed steel belts and lack of work gloves, I had to get a tetanus shot the next day), and having had to change a tire a few times over the past four decades, I say a compressor and a jar of slime just doesn't cut it. As it is, I had to deal with a slow leak (1 PSI lost every 3 hours), less than a week ago, and if it had gotten worse before I was able to take it to the local America's Tire, the spare would have, at the very least, saved a TPMS stem from possibly getting permanently gummed up.

Ultimately, I ended up going with a product called EZ-Spare Wheel. My experiences with that and with building a trunk rack are in this thread. Whether you go with that or with a donut for a different Nissan, my trunk rack may be of use: it stows and secures the spare, a jack, the handle for the jack, a 4-way lug wrench, two pairs of wheel chocks, and the portable charging unit (better than the factory hardware does!), in about a third of the trunk, while still allowing you to fold down the port rear seat to carry lumber, conduit, or pipe.
--
James H. H. Lampert

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”