User avatar
lpickup
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri May 07, 2021 10:27 am

lorenfb wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:09 am
Forget rolling resistance?
Very true...I was distracted writing that post. Of course weight makes a difference in that it will increase rolling resistance. My main thinking was accelerating the weight, not so much the effect the weight is going to have on the contact patch on the tires, which is also important.

In the end, t doesn't really change what I was trying to get at: that the higher recommended tire pressure on the Model 3 has a significant benefit to the highway efficiency of the car, in addition to the aerodynamics. Basically filling the tires to 45psi versus the LEAF's 35psi (or whatever, notwithstanding those of you that inflate to 44psi anyway) compensates for the additional weight of the battery (I guess we would work out exactly how much, but I've got too much going on right now!)
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

GRA
Posts: 13028
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sun May 09, 2021 1:16 am

knightmb wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 pm
lpickup wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:20 pm
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:54 pm
209 watt hours per mile (4.8 miles/kWh) at 68mph for a relatively flat course is very good.

Even on a perfect hot humid day with neutral wind, my Leaf with aero rims would do no more than 4.4 miles/kWh or 227 watt hours per mile at 68 mph.
Yes, I am totally amazed out how slippery this car is on the highway.
Tesla Mode 3 drag coefficient (CoD) is 0.23, the Nissan Leaf (both generations) drag coefficient is 0.28. You can't deny physics. :mrgreen: It may not mean much below 50 MPH, but once you starting getting that exponential increase in drag at higher speeds, Tesla is going to win the efficiency game every time. ;) <Snip>

One point to note re Cd's quoted by manufacturers is that they can vary depending on the wind tunnel used, so you need to be wary of comparing one car to another unless they're tested in the same tunnel. Speaking of which, in a 2014 C&D:
Drag Queens: Aerodynamics Compared

Five slippery cars enter a wind tunnel; one slinks out a winner.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... ison-test/


LEAF 1, M-B CLA, Volt 1, Prius 3, Model S.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

danrjones
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue May 11, 2021 8:09 am

For those of you who have Teslas, what did it cost you to wrap them?

Has anyone done their M3?


How long does the wrap last?
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

palmermd
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue May 11, 2021 11:24 am

danrjones wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:09 am
For those of you who have Teslas, what did it cost you to wrap them?

Has anyone done their M3?


How long does the wrap last?
I wrapped mine. Not sure how long it will last, but they say about 5 years, but depends on how much time in direct sunlight. I have a gloss wrap which is supposed to last a bit longer in the sun. I guess I will let you know in 5 years how it lasts. haha. Wrap is significantly less than paint, and now I got to pick a color that makes the car unique. People now recognize me around town. I cant hide and deny where I've been any longer as people say they saw my car there. I've always had easily identifiable cars, and the Tesla Model 3 was hidden in a sea of black cars, but now it stands out. Hopefully the wrap protects the paint. This was the main reason for getting it done.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996


Leaf Bar Loss

danrjones
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue May 11, 2021 2:03 pm

palmermd wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:24 am
danrjones wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:09 am
For those of you who have Teslas, what did it cost you to wrap them?

Has anyone done their M3?


How long does the wrap last?
I wrapped mine. Not sure how long it will last, but they say about 5 years, but depends on how much time in direct sunlight. I have a gloss wrap which is supposed to last a bit longer in the sun. I guess I will let you know in 5 years how it lasts. haha. Wrap is significantly less than paint, and now I got to pick a color that makes the car unique. People now recognize me around town. I cant hide and deny where I've been any longer as people say they saw my car there. I've always had easily identifiable cars, and the Tesla Model 3 was hidden in a sea of black cars, but now it stands out. Hopefully the wrap protects the paint. This was the main reason for getting it done.
Last I heard, for the cybertruck a wrap was the only way to get color. That's why I was wondering.

I've been thinking in the desert it would be required, if you didn't want to burn yourself when you touch the vehicle.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

palmermd
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue May 11, 2021 8:27 pm

danrjones wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:03 pm
palmermd wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:24 am
danrjones wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:09 am
For those of you who have Teslas, what did it cost you to wrap them?

Has anyone done their M3?


How long does the wrap last?
I wrapped mine. Not sure how long it will last, but they say about 5 years, but depends on how much time in direct sunlight. I have a gloss wrap which is supposed to last a bit longer in the sun. I guess I will let you know in 5 years how it lasts. haha. Wrap is significantly less than paint, and now I got to pick a color that makes the car unique. People now recognize me around town. I cant hide and deny where I've been any longer as people say they saw my car there. I've always had easily identifiable cars, and the Tesla Model 3 was hidden in a sea of black cars, but now it stands out. Hopefully the wrap protects the paint. This was the main reason for getting it done.
Last I heard, for the cybertruck a wrap was the only way to get color. That's why I was wondering.

I've been thinking in the desert it would be required, if you didn't want to burn yourself when you touch the vehicle.
Even with Model 3 the door handles are significantly cooler with the wrap. Even if you don't wrap the car, I'd wrap the door handles.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996


Leaf Bar Loss

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”