DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Re: Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:56 pm

Now the other side of the story is that I mind the drivers seat so much. If the wife had really wanted an S, I probably wouldn't have complained to hard; though it would have needed to be pretty well used.
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

Astros
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 310136

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 am

voltamps wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:04 pm

A) The Mach E is 7% more expensive than a VW ID.4.

B) Mach E is slightly roomier inside, and has more cargo volume, with a frunk too (no handy frunk on an ID.4).

C) ID.4 has 8% more passenger volume as a Leaf

D) Ariya will be roomier inside than a Leaf. The exterior dimensions, width, length & height, are almost identical to a Toyota RAV4 after all.
We seriously considered the Mach-e, and took it for a couple test drives. Even with the Ford X-plan the Select trim with the Comfort&Technology package that adds heated seats and driver assistance features came to just over the Washington state EV sales tax exemption threshold, and no dealer was willing to lower the price to qualify. So, that effectively increased the price ~$2000 compared to the ID.4, and would have less range (not even counting the fact that you can't DC fast charge above 80%). It's too bad, really, because otherwise it was a pretty nice car.
2019 Deep Blue SL Plus

GRA

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:53 pm

Have any of you ID.4 owners/test drivers had a chance to try out the Regen retardation level on a steep descent? In any car I might buy I want max. regen at least equal to 2nd gear compression braking, as a fair amount of my driving is on steep roads, and I shouldn't have to ride the brakes all the way down. Touching them occasionally is okay.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 am

In my test drive thru their tour event, from the shifter settings I recall, the max regen w/no pedals pressed on ID.4 was MUCH weaker than Bolt in L mode. Bolt in L and BMW i3 (by default, there's no other setting AFAIK) have strong regen w/no pedals pressed.

As might've already been mentioned, the test drives were solo w/nobody else in the car w/you, due to COVID.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:08 am

cwerdna wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 am
In my test drive thru their tour event, from the shifter settings I recall, the max regen w/no pedals pressed on ID.4 was MUCH weaker than Bolt in L mode. Bolt in L and BMW i3 (by default, there's no other setting AFAIK) have strong regen w/no pedals pressed.

As might've already been mentioned, the test drives were solo w/nobody else in the car w/you, due to COVID.
Agreed. I looked thru center console for settings and found nothing. Should have spent more time with the car's control. But B mode will slow you down to 2 mph on a flat road but the stopping distance from 40 mph is way too long for most instances of city traffic. My LEAF in B mode I can almost drive "brake pedal" free with just occasional use of E Pedal for full stops.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA

Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. It sounds as if B mode might be okay on the ID.4; AIUI regen is also blended in on the pedal. Have to drive it to be sure.

I did like the Bolt's setup, giving effectively four different regen levels. While cruising on the flat, uphill or on straight not too steep descents I used 'D', using the paddle as needed. Steeper, twisting descents and around town I'd use 'B', with occasional paddle as well - descending the east side of Sonora Pass the max. slope is 26%, including on some tight 135-150 degree curves.

I also liked the Niro's 4 levels, all on the paddle, but unlike the Bolt I didn't get to try it on really steep roads or for very long. I'm hoping there'll be a lot more options I can try on Turo this year than last, as there are a bunch of PEV CUV models coming out.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:47 pm

I don't recall any regen paddle on ID.4, unlike my Bolt.

Besides trying at a dealer, there still are some road show appearances in CA left via https://www.id4roadshow.com/event_agenda. Ones in Nor Cal include Concord, Cupertino and Emeryville. Don't know if they're all full.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:00 am

cwerdna wrote:

I don't recall any regen paddle on ID.4, unlike my Bolt.

There isn't one, just the 'B' mode.

cwerdna wrote:
Besides trying at a dealer, there still are some road show appearances in CA left via https://www.id4roadshow.com/event_agenda. Ones in Nor Cal include Concord, Cupertino and Emeryville. Don't know if they're all full.

I'm in no hurry, so will wait for a dealer to have one. Besides, I'd rather try an AWD version once they're available; I don't need the extra power, but I do want AWD. And hopefully they'll have added Plug & Charge via OTA by then. It's ridiculous that the Mach-E has it out of the box but the ID.4 doesn't.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Mon May 17, 2021 6:03 pm

From the test drive of the dealer demo, I'm quite impressed.

So, my new ID.4 should be at the dealer by end of this month. :D I will let you folks know what I think after a couple weeks driving it.

I'm glad to see more good options on the market. I ran out of patience for the Ariya which would have been the next contender. I also liked the XC40 Recharge, but that is priced higher than I'm willing to consider - and I don't consider it to be 25% more car than the ID.4 which is what their pricing would seem to claim. Yeah, the drive was sportier, but I favor efficiency and range and don't drive aggressively so that didn't win over versus the economics. Also, I'm out of patience so not waiting for the AWD version - which I assume will reduce the range some while costing more to boot.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Remind me - does the ID4 have wireless android auto?

It seems like such a small thing, but its the thing I use the most, and one issue we have in my Outback is that android auto always glitches out, we even had the head unit replaced. My leaf works better. But just not having the cable, and going to wireless, would be so awesome.

IF it works?
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”