2 Years of Leaf : EV Activitists' Hopes and Reality

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Of course more people are buying them, They've improved considerably but not enough to compete head to head without subsidies,

Oddly, this is changing. Some BEVs do compete without subsidies. Didn't you notice?

GRA said:
they're available in a wider variety of types

True.

GRA said:
, and the mandates are getting stricter.

Do give examples. I'm unaware of any mandates in Washington State. And BEV sales are doing just fine in Washington State.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Exponential growth.

0.125% 0.25% 0.5% 1% 2% 4% 8% 16% 32% 64%(aka "mass market")

Looks tiny, at first. Gets huge later. There are at least three reasons why growth is exponential.

Social, people take time to adapt new technologies. Look at Norway: the government committed to making EVs cheaper than competing gasoline cars by tax reductions and subsidies. Still took over 10 years for new sales of PHEVs to exceed 50% of total sales.

Uh huh, which kind of blows the whole "BEVs are so superior to ICEs that everyone will want one" claim out of the water.

Oh? People are not "economic man", capable of analyzing every detail of every potential transaction instantly. Takes time, and observation, for people to change. That's why it is exponential growth, rather than an instantaneous switch the instant the economics shift.

The fact that people take time to decide to change doesn't disprove the fact that EVs are better. It proves that people take time to change.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Manufacturing. Takes time to build factories to make batteries, and even harder to see, time to build factories to make the machines to make the batteries. As technology is improving, no one wants to build too much high cost today's technology when lower cost technology is on the way.

Infrastructure. There is a curve of people's infrastructure needs and wants. A small fraction can live with just L1 charging in the garage, requiring almost zero infrastructure. Another small fraction might want 350kW chargers everywhere, and has no economic "at home" charging. As market share expands, so will infrastructure. As infrastructure expands, so will market share.

As has been pointed out to you before, growth hasn't been exponential here, a country with some of the longest range needs, generally lower subsidies and minimal mandates. Once the price, range and infrastructure have improved to the point that mass market consumers can seriously consider them, then we'll see exponential growth. Always assuming mandates don't force people to switch before then.

As has been pointed out to you repeatedly, EV sales growth is best modeled as exponential. It fits the curves of new technologies with less error than other models.

I suspect you don't understand what exponential growth is.

Terms like 'exponential growth' are sometimes incorrectly interpreted as 'rapid growth'. Indeed, something that is growing exponentially can in fact be growing slowly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_growth

And yes, the real world is somewhat messy. 2018 was above the trend, 2020 was below the trend. At least so far, 2021 looks to be close to the trend.
[Edit: fixed quoting]

2021 projected sales:

US-EV-BEV-PHEV-Share-of-New-Vehicle-Sales-2015-2021.png

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/10/30/forecast-2021-us-ev-sales-to-increase-70-year-over-year/

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Of course more people are buying them, They've improved considerably but not enough to compete head to head without subsidies,

Oddly, this is changing. Some BEVs do compete without subsidies. Didn't you notice?

Haven't you noticed that the well-off can afford multiple cars, many of which don't need to meet more practical requirements? Do you think ModelS/X/Taycans/Lucids/e-Trons etc. can sell enough to matter?

WetEV said:
GRA said:
they're available in a wider variety of types

True.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
, and the mandates are getting stricter.

Do give examples. I'm unaware of any mandates in Washington State. And BEV sales are doing just fine in Washington State.

As you should have been aware I wasn't talking abut the U.S., although the number of CARB states is increasing. In Europe and China they certainly are, and unsurprisingly that's where sales are increasing rapidly. If the cars themselves provide an obviously superior value proposition, why would you need subsidies and mandates? To give one example of mandates, to license an ICE in Beijing you first have to win a lottery, the odds being 1 chance out of 904. Assuming you manage that you then get to make an additional payment, which can be up to the equivalent of $13,000 (not sure if the amount's based on price, mpg, weight or what). Or, you can buy an NEV and skip both the lottery and the payment, plus get a subsidy. Surprise, surprise, most people opt for the NEV.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Uh huh, which kind of blows the whole "BEVs are so superior to ICEs that everyone will want one" claim out of the water.

Oh? People are not "economic man", capable of analyzing every detail of every potential transaction instantly. Takes time, and observation, for people to change. That's why it is exponential growth, rather than an instantaneous switch the instant the economics shift.

The fact that people take time to decide to change doesn't disprove the fact that EVs are better. It proves that people take time to change.

It also proves that to most people BEVs aren't yet superior (in ways they care about) to ICEs, as cars. Which is, after all, what they are both primarily required to serve as. BEVs are getting better, but still not good enough to compete head-to-head without one or more fingers (subsidies/mandates/perks) on the scale, except at the very high end that's unaffordable to almost all.

If BEVs are so superior, then there's no reason to have any fingers on the scale besides pollution/carbon taxes. Norway has found it necessary to go well beyond that.

WetEV said:
WetEV said:
Manufacturing. Takes time to build factories to make batteries, and even harder to see, time to build factories to make the machines to make the batteries. As technology is improving, no one wants to build too much high cost today's technology when lower cost technology is on the way.

Infrastructure. There is a curve of people's infrastructure needs and wants. A small fraction can live with just L1 charging in the garage, requiring almost zero infrastructure. Another small fraction might want 350kW chargers everywhere, and has no economic "at home" charging. As market share expands, so will infrastructure. As infrastructure expands, so will market share.

As has been pointed out to you before, growth hasn't been exponential here, a country with some of the longest range needs, generally lower subsidies and minimal mandates. Once the price, range and infrastructure have improved to the point that mass market consumers can seriously consider them, then we'll see exponential growth. Always assuming mandates don't force people to switch before then.

As has been pointed out to you repeatedly, EV sales growth is best modeled as exponential. It fits the curves of new technologies with less error than other models.

Terms like 'exponential growth' are sometimes incorrectly interpreted as 'rapid growth'. Indeed, something that is growing exponentially can in fact be growing slowly.

And yes, the real world is somewhat messy. 2018 was above the trend, 2020 was below the trend. At least so far, 2021 looks to be close to the trend.
[/quote]

I notice you once again pretended 2019 didn't exist. That was well below the trend, no coronavirus to blame, although a drop in subsidies in China and elsewhere certainly would. EU sales more than tripled YoY from 2019-2020. Hmm, exponential growth driven by subsidies and mandates, as well as current BEV capabilities being a better fit for EU conditions than is the case in the US.

GRA said:
Haven't you noticed that the well-off can afford multiple cars, many of which don't need to meet more practical requirements? Do you think ModelS/X/Taycans/Lucids/e-Trons etc. can sell enough to matter?

Ford didn't sell enough Model C cars or Model R cars to matter as well. Producing these cars and other early cars provided the technical, logistical, and organizational foundation that the Model T needed to launch.

There likely will never be "an electric Model T", of course, as too many companies are competing.

You really have no idea just how convenient a BEV really is in daily driving.

To be fair, that's true of 90%+ of the population. As surveys show.

BEVs are getting both better and cheaper. I notice you didn't mention the Model 3, or the Bolt, or the ID4 or ...

GRA said:
WetEV said:
As you should have been aware I wasn't talking abut the U.S.,

You claim to define the subject of the conversation for today? Really? I don't think so. So: Have any mandates for Washington State to share?

GRA said:
It also proves that to most people BEVs aren't yet superior (in ways they care about) to ICEs, as cars. Which is, after all, what they are both primarily required to serve as. BEVs are getting better, but still not good enough to compete head-to-head without one or more fingers (subsidies/mandates/perks) on the scale, except at the very high end that's unaffordable to almost all.

If BEVs are so superior, then there's no reason to have any fingers on the scale besides pollution/carbon taxes. Norway has found it necessary to go well beyond that.

So many errors in that it is hard to unpack.

BEV capabilities are not static.

People don't make decisions instantly.

Norway's incentives have been decreasing while sales of PEVs have been increasing.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

I notice you once again pretended 2019 didn't exist.

Flaming BS.

Read more careful, and respond to my comments, not your silly strawman.

Its all about the cost per mile. Look at adoption figures and you see two large jumps; 2018 with Model 3 and longer range LEAF and the Bolt which was launched earlier but not in any great numbers. Before that is was $$$ for any real range.

So looking at Norway taking 10 years to get to 50% is invalid. If range hadn't increased, Norway would be at 10% right now.

2021 projected sales:

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/10/30/forecast-2021-us-ev-sales-to-increase-70-year-over-year/

Don't ignore 2019. Ignore 2018 and 2020. 2018 is above trend, 2020 is below trend.

2015 to 2017 is a little less than doubling.

2017 to 2019 is a little less than doubling again.

2019 to 2021 is projected to be a little less than doubling yet again.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

Ford didn't sell enough Model C cars or Model R cars to matter as well. Producing these cars and other early cars provided the technical, logistical, and organizational foundation that the Model T needed to launch.

There likely will never be "an electric Model T", of course, as too many companies are competing.

You really have no idea just how convenient a BEV really is in daily driving.

To be fair, that's true of 90%+ of the population. As surveys show.[/quote]

You make it sound as if it's a big mystery. It's convenient if you have convenient, dedicated charging and your daily range needs are within its capability. If not, not. I've said so many times. No secret handshake or initiation into Masonic rituals needed to figure that out.

WetEV said:
BEVs are getting both better and cheaper. I notice you didn't mention the Model 3, or the Bolt, or the ID4 or ...

Uh huh, and I've said so, as I've also said that they aren't yet good enough and cheap enough to be mass market. I've mentioned the Bolt repeatedly, including to you, and said that we need more BEVs priced like it and not like the Model 3 or the ID.4, while recognizing that the advent of the ID.4, Ionic 5, EV6 and other new AWD CUVs that are around $45k base moves the needle towards mass market pricing for the type of cars people want, while still being too expensive to be mass market. The Model Y at $50k is worse.

[EDIT] I see in the Bolt topic the Q2 YoY sales are up 351%, to 11,263! Excellent. While some of that is undoubtedly due to people re-entering the market after bailing last year, it undoubtedly represents real, strong and hopefully sustainable growth. AFAIA the EUV isn't available yet, but that would also boost sales. We need a bunch of PEVs across the spectrum to have annual sales of at least 50 and better yet 100k, rather than a big bulge for Tesla and everyone else being 'other'.

I have a friend who tells me his 2002 CR-V is fading and he's interested in the ID.4, so I gave him some basic info re available subsidies, capacity warranties, degradation, lease vs. buy etc. and some possible BEV and PHEV alternatives to the ID.4, and told him to contact me if he wants more details. As he's retired, owns a detached, single family home and normally just takes weekend trips rather than the longer multi-day road trips I do he's an excellent candidate (to lease not buy, given he keeps cars he's bought as long as I do) a BEV rather than a PHEV.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
As you should have been aware I wasn't talking abut the U.S.,

You claim to define the subject of the conversation for today? Really? I don't think so. So: Have any mandates for Washington State to share?

Washington State Passes Bill With Targeted 2030 ICE Vehicle Ban
https://fordauthority.com/2021/04/washington-state-passes-bill-with-targeted-2030-ice-vehicle-ban/

If a tech is seen to be so superior that everyone wants it, there's absolutely no need to ban the one its replacing.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

So many errors in that it is hard to unpack.

BEV capabilities are not static.

People don't make decisions instantly.

Norway's incentives have been decreasing while sales of PEVs have been increasing.

Yet their subsidies and perks far beyond just taxing pollution, remain. Have you forgotten all of them; I posted all those a while back?

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Flaming BS.

So tell us how 2019 U.S. sales followed an exponential growth curve.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
Flaming BS.

So tell us how 2019 U.S. sales followed an exponential growth curve.

2021 projected sales:

Don't ignore 2019. Look at the trend of the odd years.

2015 to 2017 is a little less than doubling. 1.68

2017 to 2019 is a little less than doubling again. 1.71

2019 to 2021 is projected to be a little less than doubling yet again. 1.91

A near constant doubling time is exponential growth.

Or using all the years 2011 to 2020, R^2, the coefficient of determination, is 73%, for USA sales. R^2 is 91% for exponential growth in world wide sales. Dropping 2011 and 2012 from the USA raises R^2 to 90%.

GRA will write for forever about any tiny blip that isn't well described by the exponential trend, of course.

GRA said:
Uh huh, and I've said so, as I've also said that they aren't yet good enough and cheap enough to be mass market.

The "mass market" is always last.

Exponential growth.

0.125% 0.25% 0.5% 1% 2% 4% 8% 16% 32% 64%(aka "mass market")

Looks tiny, at first. Gets huge later.

Back