Stimulus ....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

As part of the economic stimulus they should be required to put an exhaust system and an oil filter on the leaf. Also when they are building the factory they should have people dig some extra holes and then fill them in.

LTLFTcomposite said:
As part of the economic stimulus they should be required to put an exhaust system and an oil filter on the leaf. Also when they are building the factory they should have people dig some extra holes and then fill them in.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

LTLFTcomposite said:

Funny this was not part of the stimulus bill ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravina_Island_Bridge

The Gravina Island Bridge, commonly referred to as the "Bridge to Nowhere", was a proposed bridge to replace the ferry that currently connects the town of Ketchikan, Alaska with Gravina Island, an island which contains the Ketchikan International Airport as well as 50 residents. The bridge was projected to cost $398 million. Members of the Alaskan congressional delegation, particularly Representative Don Young and Senator Ted Stevens, were the bridge's biggest advocates in Congress, and helped push for federal funding.[1] The project encountered fierce opposition outside of Alaska as a symbol of pork barrel spending and is labeled as one of the more prominent "bridges to nowhere".[2] As a result, Congress removed the federal earmark for the bridge in 2005.[3]

evnow said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

Funny this was not part of the stimulus bill ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravina_Island_Bridge

The Gravina Island Bridge, commonly referred to as the "Bridge to Nowhere", was a proposed bridge to replace the ferry that currently connects the town of Ketchikan, Alaska with Gravina Island, an island which contains the Ketchikan International Airport as well as 50 residents. The bridge was projected to cost $398 million. Members of the Alaskan congressional delegation, particularly Representative Don Young and Senator Ted Stevens, were the bridge's biggest advocates in Congress, and helped push for federal funding.[1] The project encountered fierce opposition outside of Alaska as a symbol of pork barrel spending and is labeled as one of the more prominent "bridges to nowhere".[2] As a result, Congress removed the federal earmark for the bridge in 2005.[3]

ahh the "bridge to nowhere" topic. has anyone ever considered that the fact that no one lives there is because they dont want to rely on a ferry in an area known for devastating weather conditions as their only means off an island?

I never understood why the called it the "bridge to nowhere". An airport with 16,000 flights a year served by a major carrier doesn't exactly sound like "nowhere" to me. That said, if the ferry service is adequate it's probably still just so much pork.

mitch672 said:
while this may be true for manufacturing the Leaf, it is hardly the entire story.

How about all of the electricans who will get work installing EVSEs?
How about the mfrs of the actual EVSEs?
How about all of the additional solar installers who will get work on PV systems, once people want more "green" power?

the story is just too shortsighted... and not looking at the larger picture.

WAAA WAAAA WAAAA! But I get health care at the oil filter factory! WAAAA WAAAA WAAAA! And the union takes care of me WAAAA WAAA WAAAA!

DaveinOlyWA said:
ahh the "bridge to nowhere" topic. has anyone ever considered that the fact that no one lives there is because they dont want to rely on a ferry in an area known for devastating weather conditions as their only means off an island?

So the 300 million was to populate an area known for devastating weather conditions ? Why not spend that on crumbling Alaskan way viaduct - for which we are being asked to pay extra taxes ?

BTW, when I was on my Alaskan trip during that time I talked to people over there about the bridge. A lot of them were unhappy about it ... the $300M was purely some grandstanding by the corrupt senator.

LTLFTcomposite said:
WAAA WAAAA WAAAA! But I get health care at the oil filter factory! WAAAA WAAAA WAAAA! And the union takes care of me WAAAA WAAA WAAAA!

You should educate yourself about some basic economics before kneejerk opposition to stimulus based on Milton Friedman / Austrian economics.

"Simple Keynesianism for Monetarists: A Primer" : http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2009/04/delong-simple-keynesianism-for-monetarists-a-primer.html

evnow said:
You should educate yourself about some basic economics before kneejerk opposition to stimulus based on Milton Friedman / Austrian economics.

"Simple Keynesianism for Monetarists: A Primer" : http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2009/04/delong-simple-keynesianism-for-monetarists-a-primer.html

I don't give a damn about economic theories. Show me where it's an enumerated power of government to force one group of people to support another.

LTLFTcomposite said:
evnow said:

I don't give a damn about economic theories. Show me where it's an enumerated power of government to force one group of people to support another.

If you don't give a damn about economic theories - you are living on the wrong planet :lol:

BTW, federal govt has absolute power to tax and to spend. You don't need an enumerated "power of government to force one group of people to support another.".

But as to original constitution - infact they had an enumerated "power of government to force one group of people to support another." a.k.a. slavery.

evnow said:
BTW, federal govt has absolute power to tax and to spend. You don't need an enumerated "power of government to force one group of people to support another.".

Wow. Once you get 51% to subscribe to that mindset, and you can get them to the voting booth, the stage is set for unending economic decline... and for the recipients of that support to be victims of the 21st century version of slavery.

But I guess this doesn't have anything to do with the leaf :)

LTLFTcomposite said:
... you can get them to the voting booth, the stage is set for unending economic decline... and for the recipients of that support to be victims of the 21st century version of slavery.

For someone who claims to not care about economic theories you seem to beleive in all kinds of economic wacko theories. :lol:

evnow said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
... you can get them to the voting booth, the stage is set for unending economic decline... and for the recipients of that support to be victims of the 21st century version of slavery.

For someone who claims to not care about economic theories you seem to beleive in all kinds of economic wacko theories. With some bigotted racist opinions thrown in, no less :lol:

Who said anything about race?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Who said anything about race?

I misread this comment : "for the recipients of that support to be victims of the 21st century version of slavery". I'll update my above comment.

ps : Though I think it is very offending to compare slavery to having t pay taxes ...

evnow said:
ps : Though I think it is very offending to compare slavery to having t pay taxes ...

I would wholeheartedly agree. Paying taxes is the cost of the freedoms we have in this country. Taxes go to paying for roads, fireman, policeman and the US military amongst other public services.

For that matter taxes well help pay for that tax rebate we are all going to get on the Leaf! :D

evnow said:

I wasn't saying anything about taxes either. That was a reference to the oppression of lower socioeconomic classes by social welfare programs, one of those kooky vast right wing conspiracy notions that you actually keep people down by giving them things.

My fault for taking the discussion far afield of the intent of this forum; let's drop it.

Back