Official California PG&E Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougMarker said:
PG&E E-9 users CAUTION: DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT: "The time periods shown above will
begin and end one hour later for the period between the second Sunday in March
and the first Sunday in April, and for the period between the last Sunday in October
and the first Sunday in November."
If I understand this correctly, you should change your timer(s) to start at 1:00AM instead of 12:00 midnight for the next 3 weeks.
What you say is correct, if, as Nekota pointed out, you do not have a Smart Meter.

Of course there is also another way to deal with this. The LEAF is too stupid to know what the real time is, or when DST starts or ends. So twice a year you have to press the MENU button at the side of the screen, then touch: Settings; Others; Clock. This winter, "Daylight Savings Time" should have been off. Now it's time to turn it on. ... Or not. If you wait until the first Sunday in April to turn it on, you won't have to mess with your timers. Of course the console clock, and CarWings, is going to be off by an hour for the next three weeks. Personally, I couldn't care less.

Ray

Edit: I had an error in this post, which I have now corrected. The PG&E quote is correct. Both in the spring and in the fall there is a short period when the meter lags "real" time by an hour.

My solution was to set the charger last May to begin at 1:00 AM, and never reset the clocks-or timer, in my LEAF.

I'll just have to get used to the clocks telling the right time, again.

On the bright side, I have another hour to procrastinate (and still save that all-important nickle per kWh) in the AM, as to whether I might need to charge (beyond 80%) each day.

Off-peak lasts till 8 AM, till 11/4, correct?

No, on the E-9 schedule, a or b, off-peak ends at 7 AM year round, Monday through Friday. But in all cases that is whenever your meter thinks it is 7 AM. Smart Meters always have the real time. The older GE net-use meters (which you would have if you generate your own solar or wind power) still think that DST starts in April and ends in October.

Ray

planet4ever said:
No, on the E-9 schedule, a or b, off-peak ends at 7 AM year round, Monday through Friday. But in all cases that is whenever your meter thinks it is 7 AM. Smart Meters always have the real time. The older GE net-use meters (which you would have if you generate your own solar or wind power) still think that DST starts in April and ends in October.

Ray

I still have a "dumb" net use Meter. I can check the make, if that is significant.

Off-peak weekdays is from 1 to 8 AM, till 11/4, correct?

For those with "smart" meters installed, are they fully functional, and do you no longer have to pay the daily meter charge?

edatoakrun said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

I still have a "dumb" net use Meter. I can check the make, if that is significant.

For those with "smart" meters installed, are they fully functional, and do you no longer have to pay the daily meter charge?

Well depends on what you mean by fully functional. There is the Zigbee Home Area Network (HAN) that isn't working, there is a energy use LED emitter that's intentionally disabled, and the web interface to look at your electrical use is inflexible. On the E9 rates for a SmartMeter there is no meter charge line item but I believe there is a meter charge you get with the GE Net use meter.

edatoakrun said:
planet4ever said:
Probably not. I only said GE because I think that's the only meter PG&E uses, other than the Smart Meter, which can keep track of usage by time of day.

edatoakrun said:
That's the statement you made before that I said "No" to. Partial-Peak in the (6) "summer" months starts at 7 AM, M-F, just as it does in the (6) "winter" months. Direct quote from http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-9.pdf:
Summer (service from May 1 through October 31):
Peak: 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Partial-Peak: 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. AND 9:00 p.m. to 12:00 midnight Monday
through Friday, plus 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Off-Peak: All other hours.
Winter (service from November 1 through April 30):
Partial-Peak: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight Monday through Friday, and 5:00 p.m.
to 9:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Off-Peak: All other hours.
The only time off-peak is 1 to 8 AM this year is from March 12 through March 30. That is only because your meter thinks DST starts on April 1 even though it really started on March 11.

Ray

I got my Nissan Leaf today. I have had a 6.7KW PV system for a couple of years. I've been on the PG&E E-6 plan. Last year I just about broke even with PG&E.

Is there a consensus on this forum which rate plan would be best for such a situation?

Should I switch to the E9a or is E6 still the better choice since I get an extra hour of solar production at peak rates? Does PG&E require me to go to an E9x plan since I now have an EV?

(I gather that E9b doesn't make sense for me since the PV production won't contribute to the car's meter).

Thanks (and apologies if this has been thrashed to death, in which case a pointer would be much appreciated).

sakumar said:
I got my Nissan Leaf today. I have had a 6.7KW PV system for a couple of years. I've been on the PG&E E-6 plan. Last year I just about broke even with PG&E.

Is there a consensus on this forum which rate plan would be best for such a situation?

Should I switch to the E9a or is E6 still the better choice since I get an extra hour of solar production at peak rates? Does PG&E require me to go to an E9x plan since I now have an EV?

(I gather that E9b doesn't make sense for me since the PV production won't contribute to the car's meter).

Thanks (and apologies if this has been thrashed to death, in which case a pointer would be much appreciated).
No requirement to switch to E9x.

Whether E9x is preferable to E6 depends on the individual's usage. The plus on E9x is the very low off-peak rates compared to E6.

But E9x is about to undergo some drastic changes. Read the following:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5794&p=199884#p199884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greenleaf said:
Whether E9x is preferable to E6 depends on the individual's usage. The plus on E9x is the very low off-peak rates compared to E6.

But E9x is about to undergo some drastic changes. Read the following:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5794&p=199884#p199884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the information. Since E9x appears to be in flux, I'll just hunker down and stay with E6 for now and see where all this is heading.

Since PG&E has the relevant data, and since it it is a regulated monopoly, I wish there was an option for consumers to play "what-if" with the prior year's data. Even better have PG&E apply all applicable rates and present the cheapest net-metering bill. When pigs fly, huh?

sakumar said:
Since PG&E has the relevant data, and since it it is a regulated monopoly, I wish there was an option for consumers to play "what-if" with the prior year's data.
Unless you have a setup I don't know about, PG&E doesn't really have the relevant data. I'm assuming that you don't have a smart meter, but rather an older digital one that can go backwards, probably a GE kV2C without the optional communications feature. If so, all PG&E knows is the values of three counters (peak, partial peak, and off-peak) collected each month by a meter reader physically visiting your home. Those three counters are set up for the time periods in the E6 service plan. Since the periods are different for E9, they don't know how much electricity you are using during the times that would fall in a different category.

E6 Summer peak: 1PM to 7PM, Monday-Friday
E9 Summer peak: 2PM to 9PM, Monday-Friday

How much of your current peak usage is between 1PM and 2PM, so would drop to partial peak? They don't know.
How much of your current partial peak usage is between 7PM and 9PM, so would jump to peak? They don't know.

In fact the first number may well be negative, while the second is almost certainly positive, so those changes would cut against you both ways.

Ray

Here's a tip. Since I drive low mileage (usually < 15 mi./day) my Leaf charges up almost entirely in the first hour. To avoid getting caught during the switchover from PDT to PST or vice versa I switched from starting at midnight to starting at 1AM. That way I am always charging off peak and don't have to worry about remembering to update timers or clocks. Of course I do change the time on the clocks in the car to match the correct time, but maybe not the first day I should.

(thread resurrectoin)
Weird that this thread has been dead since 2012.

Because of the CA and my county's lockdown, I've been forced to WFH. I was on E-6 for years but due to WFH and peak rates being real high (see page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf) at 40 to 49 cents/kWh between 1 pm and 7 pm every weekday & "partial peak" of 28.6 to ~37 cents/kWh every weekday from 10 am to 1 pm and 7 pm to 9 pm, I had to switch myself to E-1 which is non-TOU (page 1 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf).

E-6 made sense when I was at normally at my work/away from home during peak and partial peak hours and nobody else was around. I won't be be able to go back to E-6 afterward. It was closed to new customers awhile ago and people on it could stay on it for a few years.

On E-1, I probably can still stay within tier 1 most months and there's no way I'd pass tier 2.

Unfortunately, they couldn't have it go into effect immediately and they "had" to wait until the next billing cycle (I asked), which began for me today (5/13). "Summer" rates w/the crazy high peak prices began on 5/1. Prior to 5/1, when I was WFH, "winter" partial peak rates weren't so bad.

Fortunately, I've not really had to charge my EVs much at home due to WFH. Prior to lockdown, almost all my EV juice came from free L2 charging at work.

I'm glad that with E-1 I won't need to worry about time shifting my electricity usage any longer. Good riddance.

When this whole COVID-19 ends (12 to 18 months from now?), I'll be shifting back to some TOU plan that makes sense. It's too bad the ones that exist have pretty lousy time bands vs. E-6. :(

Replying to a post at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=610404#p610404.

I'm currently on E-TOU-C (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-TOU-C.pdf, see pages 2 and 4). Baseline is only 10.3 or 10.5 kWh per day for me, depending on the time of year so 309 or 315 kWh per 30 day billing period. In "summer" rates are from 28.1 to 42 cents per kWh, depending on time of day and if you're within baseline.

For rest of year, it's 30.5 to 32.2 cents per kWh. If you're within baseline for that billing period any time of year, you're credited back 7.5 cents per kWh. That's how they do tiering. So, the actual range for rest of year is 23 to 32.2 cents per kWh.

If I charge an EV at home for most/all of my EV usage, I for sure will be pushed into tier 2 and thus my marginal cost to charge at home would be at best 35.6 cents in "summer" and 30.5 cents per kWh rest of year.

There is an EV plan, EV2-A (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2%20(Sch).pdf). There's no tiering but rates range from 18.5 to 49.8 cents per kWh. See pages 2 and 4. Basically, electricity is only cheap between midnight to 3 pm. They really kill you from 4 to 9 pm and it's pretty bad from 3 pm to 4 pm and 9 pm to midnight. This is for every single day.

There's also "Customers at premises with total usage in excess of 800 percent of baseline over 12 months will be moved to Schedule E-TOU-D and will be prohibited from taking service on any electric vehicle rate schedule for 12 months."

No thanks. I'm working from home most days now due to COVID and being required to wear a mask indoors at all times at the office (except for actively eating and drinking) due to county ordinances. The EV2-A rates are crazy outside of off-peak. I'm fine w/taking advantage of 19 cent per kWh DC FCing, some free L2 charging, free other charging when I can find it and free L2 charging at work when I go there.

There is an EV plan, EV2-A (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/ ... 0(Sch).pdf). There's no tiering but rates range from 18.5 to 49.8 cents per kWh

That certainly sucks. Our utility, NYSEG, is just starting to offer off-peak metering for EVs. Since we likely spend more money on heating/cooling our house with electricity then we do on charging our cars, I don't know if we'll bother with it. OTOH, in Winter we likely spend more than 50% of that money on heating during off peak hours...

The PGE TOU plan looks a lot like my SCE TOU plan.

There is a good way to deal with TOU: Solar.

I dump as much into the grid as I can during the mid prices of the day, and and then the first part of the high priced period. The highest prices for my SCE plan start at 2pm, so i can dump power into the grid at the high prices for a couple hours. More during the summer.
Then take out during the low prices at night.

Because of this trend, you will see more and more Solar facing west rather than south, to maximize the late day solar.

As an odd side note, I'm on SCE for power but PGE for NG.

Dan:

What you describe is the hidden bonus of a TOU rate with solar. You generate during peak times and use at off-peak times. For every kWh my rooftop solar generates during peak, I can use 4 kWh to charge my EV during the evening. Can't beat that!

Back