Does a steering wheel from a 2012 fit a 2016?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitrals

I have a 16 leaf with a beat up steering wheel. The leather is beat up. I have seen a lot of heated steering wheels from a 12. Would that fit? The connectors look the same.

I don't know but what I usually do in this situation is look up the part number on some site that sells Nissan parts (probably a dealer site for something like this) and see if the part # is the same.

It fits. I was able to find an extremely clean steering wheel from a 12 with heater element leather covered and everything is bolt on.

mitrals said:
It fits. I was able to find an extremely clean steering wheel from a 12 with heater element leather covered and everything is bolt on.
Nice! thanks for posting back. Now I know not all Leafs have heated seats anymore but do they still all have a heated steering wheel? if not I wonder if one had a Leaf without an OEM heated steering wheel if it would be as easy as installing one from a Leaf that did? well I guess you'd need the switch but I wonder if the wiring is already there.....speaking of wiring, how do they get all the signaling from the multitude of switches and such from the steering wheel back to the car? I've always wondered that. Back when cars only had a horn on the steering wheel I remember the whisker type slide thing that carried the horn button signal back to the car but I can't see that working with all the signaling that goes from a modern steering wheel back to the car, is it now sent via RF or some other way? I haven't had a steering wheel off a car since back from when the horn was the only thing on the steering wheel :oops:

Not all Leaf's have heated steering wheels, even if they have heated seats. For example, my 2017 S has heated seats but not a heated steering wheel. It is something I would be interested in upgrading if possible but I don't think it would be easy.

As for the controls, there is a clock spring under the steering wheel that supplies the electrical connection between the moving wheel and the stationary parts on the shaft. Probably the only difference between a simple horn and multiple connections is in the clock spring and its connections.

I was curious too, so I went hunting for a YouTube video that shows the inner workings of a clock spring - pretty simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862izi6XChI&t=170s

LeftieBiker said:
Now I know not all Leafs have heated seats anymore but do they still all have a heated steering wheel?

I doubt that the 2011 Leafs have heated steering wheels but no switch for them.

Correct, unless the '11 had the "cold weather" package it lacked a heated steering wheel, heated seats and a battery warmer but from '12 up to ?? all Leafs had all 3, at some point I know they dropped the heated seats for cost savings and probably the heated steering wheel as well. I for one could do without heated seats but would REALLY miss the heated steering wheel, which unfortunately is harder to find than heated seats, which seem to be available on basically all cars, not so for a heated steering wheel.

Back