Build / buy / steal a frunk for ZE0

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaktor

Hellows!

I recently got my preowned MY15 Tekna and I am supremely happy. I have ordered a nice charging cable and look forward to its delivery. What I am not looking forward to is storing that thing somewhere.

I have popped the hood of the ZE0 and found, that there should be enough space fit the charging cable in there. Maybe even the ICCB-cable.

So the questions:
Has anyone ever tried putting stuff into the engine bay?
Maybe even build or bought some plastic pieces / boxes which go in there?
Will I set the car or my cable on fire if I stick things in there?
Is it awfully wet and dirty in there?
Am I mistaken and there is no space at all when the hood is down?

While accessing the engine-compartment is a bit cumbersome, it might be a nice place for something that is necessary to have, but is rarely used.

My first attempt might be to use these velcro-onto-itself bands (those sometimes come with servers and IT-racks) and just stick the cable to the underside of the bonnet.

Cheers!
chris from Munich :)

The space does usually stay dry and clean (leaves in Fall excepted) but I can't say how much room there is with the hood closed. There aren't any major exposed "hot" connections, but if you force something against the existing connectors you may get a short or an open circuit, as the quality of those connectors isn't very high.

My buddy has a eNV200 and, because the rear hatch is so frikkin large, the first thing he did was hack a frunk to the car, so he does not need to open the trunk to get at the ICCB.

https://imgur.com/a/xFK0lFB

He says it's nice and dry there. Added self-adhesive foam to prevent rattling.

Still waiting for my cable to start tests.

On second attempt, the cable was delivered and definitely fits nicely under the bonnet. I am uncertain if driving vibrations will rub the cable-bag onto something until all is left are tatters, so I will see if i can find a normed (think IKEA) plastic box to hold it in place.
There is quite some room there. would even fit the 230v cable!

Did anyone else manage to fit a cable there? Any other photos?
And how did you guys fixed the box so that it doesnt move around when driving?

Thanks

I sadly have to tell you, that I do not dare to stick anything into engine bay for fear of disturbing ventilation patterns or something. Someone more courageous than me has to do it first. (And not set the car on fire)

Any and all of the components that require cooling (e.g. motor inverter, OBC, DC/DC junction box, etc) are fitted with a cold plate for coolant to circulate. Well except for the sealed air-tight main pack.

There is very little to no airflow under the hood as this would impact the aerodynamics of the vehicle, hence the plastic shielding underneath the engine bay and car.

If you ever drop any tools or a flashlight while working under the hood you will quickly learn about this as the flashlight gets drained while you figure out how to open the cover.

Back