What Do You Wish Your Leaf Had?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Backup Sensors

I believe you get front and rear proximity warnings when Pro Pilot is on. Not enough, though, if that's the case.

I'm not sure if it is a trim or Pro Pilot package thing, but mine has backup sensors and backup sonar that actually use the rear speakers to give you a left, right, center ping sound to get an idea of which side the "object" is on behind the car when you can't see it.

knightmb said:
LeftieBiker said:
Backup Sensors

I believe you get front and rear proximity warnings when Pro Pilot is on. Not enough, though, if that's the case.

I'm sure if it is a trim or Pro Pilot package thing, but mine has backup sensors and backup sonar that actually use the rear speakers to give you a left, right, center ping sound to get an idea of which side the "object" is on behind the car when you can't see it.

Yup, along with a graphic display showing what zone the obstacle is in. Unfortunately, the cars go Nuts when I back them out of the rather tight space in the garage.

LeftieBiker said:
The range estimator is accurate enough for some people (like my housemate and myself) who drive on relatively flat roads, usually taking the same routes. I think that to be truly accurate, the estimator would have to be able to access and read terrain maps of the route, along with speed limit and traffic congestion info.

With experience you can use the guessometer's inaccuracy to derive 2nd-order information. I.e., how quickly is the GOM estimate diverging from the actual miles travelled? You can then calibrate the "virtual GOM" in your head for given conditions.

Indeed. We should be thanking Nissan for providing us with this wonderful mental workout, rather than just giving us the actual estimated range as if we were lowly Tesla drivers.

This is why I like the Leafspy readout. It has a dynamic range estimator based on the efficiency of your current trip. It shows up as the t@ x.x on the bottom right and is very helpful for trips where you are cutting it close.

The Gen I and 1.5 Leafs actually have a good range estimator built into the Nav system. It gives both the we'll-say-"optimistic" GOM range and, in a smaller concentric circle, both superimposed on a map, the range you are likely to get. It doesn't take elevation changes into account, though. I keep meaning to look for it in the Gen II Leafs, but never remember.

LeftieBiker said:
The Gen I and 1.5 Leafs actually have a good range estimator built into the Nav system. It gives both the we'll-say-"optimistic" GOM range and, in a smaller concentric circle, both superimposed on a map, the range you are likely to get. It doesn't take elevation changes into account, though. I keep meaning to look for it in the Gen II Leafs, but never remember.
My 2021 Leaf DOES take elevation into account, based on how it draws the range perimeters around Denver. I can’t speak to how accurate it is though.

In the European Leaf post 2020 it looks like the map gives a remaining battery estimate at destination (Bjorn's videos show the fesutre). I was hoping that would show up here in the USA in an update.

I have solar panels for the roof and can charge a portable battery. But how can I charge the leaf from the solar panels while driving?

Bollucks said:
I have solar panels for the roof and can charge a portable battery. But how can I charge the leaf from the solar panels while driving?

The only way it would work *while driving* would involve using a DC to DC converter and putting it in parallel with the battery voltage. Safety concerns aside, it would be very expensive and adding a few hundred watts to the mix while driving wouldn't help much on the range even if driving on the sunniest day of the year with clear skies. :(

LeftieBiker said:
The same amount of range could be saved, more safely, by using a higher capacity 12 volt battery, and charging that while driving, instead.

Good point, would be much easier to run panels to the 12 volt system and have it take care of running the fans, radio, lights, computer, etc. I suppose one could take the power savings and plug that into the miles/kilowatt hour and see how much range it would add. Would be some interesting math. :)

The OP started a topic about this, so I'll move the relevant posts there.

...Hmmm, the site is not behaving well. I can't seem to move the posts. I'll try again later.

Week old 2022 SL+ owner here so please take my input with a grain of salt. Overall very pleased with the car and certainly think it fits a special use case that the larger & more expensive EV are not covering hence I can appreciate some of the cost impacting items missing. Still, here goes my wishlist...
  • Slightly better fit and trim quality. Compared to ICE cars of similar MSRP from other Japanese makes or even Nissan, I find the LEAF internals look and feel a little less than... 
  • Charge shutoff at 80% or user selectable level... Not sure why Nissan removed it but I hope they will bring it back in a software update.
    Spare tire as an optional item to buy and a bracket that can be fitted underneath the car.
  • Driver's seat with 2 memories tied to the key fob which is used to unlock the car. Seat and perhaps mirrors move to preset for the driver.
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay...
  • Better range planning / tie in to BMS. Just buy and integrate ABRP such that it can do its magic without having to rely on LeafSPYPro.
  • Ability to change charge start / end time parameters on the NIssan Connect app. Currently I can only do this on EV Settings on the car when I turn it off. 
  • Last but not least, a 84kWh battery option with integrated TMS... This would give us about 20% increase in range over current Plus range and get us around 250-270 and also enable successive fast charges..

Think we could squeeze a 15-20kWh additional battery in the spot where the spare was supposed to go?

Even 10 kWh would be meaningful and nullify most of the remaining rapidgate issues.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Think we could squeeze a 15-20kWh additional battery in the spot where the spare was supposed to go?

Exactly what I was thinking! I’d be perfectly ok to lose some of the depth in the trunk such that when you set the 2nd row seat backs down the whole trunk area is flat with the seat backs. The volume below could fit a huge battery bank I’m sure. Not sure what it would do to the weight distribution of course.

No no...the area under the rear cargo empty is...empty. for markets requiring a spare, they have a spot for it, the rest of us just get a nice unused area, which could house a well shaped small battery pack. No cargo compromise necessary.

Sounds good! Means I could fit both my wishlist items in there… the spare tire and the additional battery capacity!

Back