Ford announces BEV F150 and Transit van

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Video from CSPAN: "President Biden test drives F-150 Lightning: "This sucker's quick!""
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1394733645903040517?s=20 - I haven't had time to follow the news on this, but there's some confusion as to which version he actually drove.

Battery pack for the f150 weighs in over 1800 lbs.

Has me wondering, what does the average V8, gas tank, gas, etc., weigh?

Full release of the F150 Lightning tonight.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/40676/electric-ford-f-150-lightnings-battery-weighs-over-1800-pounds-by-itself

Well, the article has an answer to my question. I would have thought a big V8 to weigh more.

The weight of the electric motors was not mentioned. For comparison, the F-150's 5.0-liter V8 and 10-speed transmission weigh as much as 680 pounds together. A full tank of gas adds around 150 pounds.

knightmb said:
1800 lbs? Probably 200 kWh pack? It would be a beast for power and range.

Per the article someone used that weight to estimate a pack size of 112 kWh.

But I agree with you and hope it's closer to 200. 112 seems too small.

I still think we need 3-4x increase in energy density to make a BEV pickup a useful/comparable reality given the usual use cases. Certainly for towing even a minor load by today's standards, it seems unavoidable.

That's based on our rather modest experience towing with our Q5 TDI, while allowing for differences in thermal efficiency from diesel to electric. Other examples and tests abound, however, and they all seem to come to similar conclusions as I read them.

I understand neither the excitement around the Cybertruck nor the excitement around any of the other entrants, to be honest. I have zero interest in recharging every 100-150 miles while towing my camper anywhere. Nor is the charging infrastructure as it exists today very trailer friendly. Unhitch and recharge, then rehitch every 150 miles? No, thank you.

Off-road may not be better, but I have less experience there.

frontrangeleaf said:
I still think we need 3-4x increase in energy density to make a BEV pickup a useful/comparable reality given the usual use cases. Certainly for towing even a minor load by today's standards, it seems unavoidable.

That's based on our rather modest experience towing with our Q5 TDI, while allowing for differences in thermal efficiency from diesel to electric. Other examples and tests abound, however, and they all seem to come to similar conclusions as I read them.

I understand neither the excitement around the Cybertruck nor the excitement around any of the other entrants, to be honest. I have zero interest in recharging every 100-150 miles while towing my camper anywhere. Nor is the charging infrastructure as it exists today very trailer friendly. Unhitch and recharge, then rehitch every 150 miles? No, thank you.

Off-road may not be better, but I have less experience there.

For towing, I concur.

But I don't mostly use my truck for towing, I use it for working on my house, camping, hiking and even road trips. So for those, an eV with 400-500 miles of non towing range would be fine. Though I would prefer to be able to get a camper shell.

knightmb said:
1800 lbs? Probably 200 kWh pack? It would be a beast for power and range.

A little high!

knightmb said:
Per the article someone used that weight to estimate a pack size of 112 kWh.

Leaf2's 40kWh battery weighs in at the low 400lbs, & Leaf2's 60kWh battery weighs in at the low 600lbs

danrjones said:
But I agree with you and hope it's closer to 200. 112 seems too small.

Yes, closer to 200 versus 112. Based on the Leaf2s, 150 kWh < F150 energy < 200 kWh

I felt it had some highs and some lows.

The 39.9k starting price seems competitive, especially with a $7500 tax credit.
But that is for the "commercial" model, with the XLT Lightning being the more likely entry point for consumers, at around 53k - but also with a tax credit available. So the entry prices are not bad! Need to take a deeper dive into what equipment each trim has.

But I was disappointed with the battery sizes / range. Yes, ford is probably being conservative and you might get a real world 300 miles. But that's short of what I was hoping for, and it certainly doesn't give you travel trailer towing range. I really was hoping for a 200 kWh max pack.
The charging speed was also a letdown. It appears 150 kW max. Trucks really need a 800v system! I also wanted an available 6.5 ft bed. That extra foot makes all the difference for gear, camping, and hauling stuff from HDepot.

I will say, for a work truck, I think it would be fantastic. Short to medium range trips should be good. But long trips and RV towing do not seem to be its strong point.

YMMV

Someone attended this Ford EVent in CO: https://www.onitato.com/post/f150-lightning-event-denver-co/. Has lots of pics.

It's probably one of the few or only consumer BEVs sold/leased in the US w/a spare tire.

LeftieBiker said:
I look at the pickup, and think "backup home power!!!"

I have a reservation for the Cybertruck, but the Lightning has some nice features. I could camp for days and days and have a fridge and everything else. A plug in the front trunk - which is awesome sized! If only it had a 6.5 ft bed. Maybe it will in a few years. And if only you could order the Pro version.

But what will the real range and prices be? A price list "leaked" months back, I don't know if it is accurate.
Some people online and YouTube seemed to think the XLT + premium package for $56.7k includes the extended battery, but the way I read the list it does NOT. I see it says "optional", which means more $$ for that "300" miles of range. How much more? Some folks also think the 300 mile battery is good for 400+ miles.... TBD.

F-150-Lighting-Survey-Pricing-1.jpg

Lightning battery specs :

There are two options: a 98.0-kWh Standard Range battery pack targeting up to 230 miles of range, and a 131.0-kWh Extended Range pack that Ford claims will offer up to 300 miles.

Seems smaller than I was expecting, so this (to me) really places doubts on some folks claiming it really has 400 plus miles of range.
To hit 400 miles you'd have to get 3.05 miles per kWh. With an f150. No way, not out on the highway. There are days my leaf barely gets 3 miles per kWh.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-confirms-2022-f-150-220000088.html

Amd then there is this.... I don't have anything good to say about it.

5k to 30k dealer markups.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/f-150-lightning-orders-havent-even-started-but-the-truc-1848232090/amp

danrjones said:
I felt it had some highs and some lows.

The 39.9k starting price seems competitive, especially with a $7500 tax credit.
But that is for the "commercial" model, with the XLT Lightning being the more likely entry point for consumers, at around 53k - but also with a tax credit available. So the entry prices are not bad! Need to take a deeper dive into what equipment each trim has.

But I was disappointed with the battery sizes / range. Yes, ford is probably being conservative and you might get a real world 300 miles. But that's short of what I was hoping for, and it certainly doesn't give you travel trailer towing range. I really was hoping for a 200 kWh max pack.
The charging speed was also a letdown. It appears 150 kW max. Trucks really need a 800v system! I also wanted an available 6.5 ft bed. That extra foot makes all the difference for gear, camping, and hauling stuff from HDepot.

I will say, for a work truck, I think it would be fantastic. Short to medium range trips should be good. But long trips and RV towing do not seem to be its strong point.

YMMV

Agreed - add the Lucid Air's "Wunderbox" to the charging system with a 200 kWh battery at 900 VDC and "now we're talking" However, it would likely be "Wunder$$s" :mrgreen:

<SIGH>. Not necessarily. Please don't make me follow you around all day, posting that no, the bill isn't dead, just postponed. The odds of it passing were long from Day one.

Back