Nissan EVSE not functioning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't need my Rav4 Prime EVSE so I'll probably sell it but if I was going to convert it to 240V I'd replace the plug, too. Some people making adapters used twist-lock connectors and put all kinds of labels on them but I think replacing the plug is the safest way to go.

From what I've read, Prius Prime owners have been doing it for years but who knows if/when the manufacturer will change the design.

Comments and answers to some issues discussed earlier in this thread:

The 3-phase, 4-wire delta circuit has 240 volts between phases with 120 volts between two of the phases and the grounded neutral and 208 volts between the high-leg phase and neutral. In general, that connection was used for industrial installations to provide 3-phase, 240-volt power for motor loads with a limited amount of 120-volt power from two of the phases and neutral for receptacles and lighting. The high leg was never used with neutral (only with the other phases). The 3-phase 208Y/120-volt wye connection is used to allow all three phases to supply 120-volt loads from line to neutral and 3-phase loads line to line. 208 volts is low, but within tolerance for 230-volt, 3-phase motors. If a NEMA 14-50 receptacle is connected to a 4-wire delta circuit, its line terminals must be connected to the two phases which are 120 volts to neutral (not to the high leg). The line terminals of a 14-50 receptacle may be connected to any two phases of a 208Y/120-volt circuit.

I just made some measurements on the Nissan EVSE that came with my 2019 SL Plus. The neutral terminal of the 14-50 plug is not connected to anything in the EVSE. The 120-volt adapter connects line, neutral, and ground from the 120-volt plug to line 1, line 2, and ground of the 14-50 plug. Line and neutral of the 120-volt are connected to line 1 and line 2 of the 14-50 plug respectively when inserted one way or line 2 and line 1 respectively when inserted the other way. This allows the EVSE cord to go either up or down from a 120-volt wall receptacle, depending upon how the 14-50 plug is connected to the adapter. THE NISSAN 120-VOLT ADAPTER SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH ANY OTHER EVSE.

The Nissan EVSE will work on 240-volt circuits and 120-volt circuits with its adapter, but will not work on 208 volts. It will start to charge and then shut down after a few seconds because the voltage under load is lower than it deems acceptable. AeroVironment (no longer available), Clipper Creek, Grizzl-e, and other manufacturers make EVSE's that work fine on both 208- and 240-volt circuits.

Thanks GerryAZ. Great info as always.

I don't have one of these EVSE's so can you explain this part a little more?
GerryAZ said:
The 120-volt adapter connects line, neutral, and ground from the 120-volt plug to line 1, line 2, and ground of the 14-50 plug. Line and neutral of the 120-volt are connected to line 1 and line 2 of the 14-50 plug respectively when inserted one way or line 2 and line 1 respectively when inserted the other way.

Is the adapter symmetrical so it can swap neutral and ground? I can't picture how the plug could go in more than one way if it's truly a 14-50 shaped plug. TIA.

The plug on the cord is a 14-50, but the adapter has two ground terminal openings which have slots to also accommodate the neutral terminal (which does not make metallic contact). I have attached a couple photos.
EVSE Adapter1A.jpgEVSE Adapter2A.jpg
As you can see, the double ground terminal allows the adapter to attach to the 14-50 plug in two different orientations (180 degrees apart) so that the 120-volt plug can be oriented with ground terminal up or down for wall receptacles.

That's interesting. So the ground/neutral connections only connect to a ground prong and not a neutral prong. Very clever.

I had a Nissan 240V EVSE but I gave it to my dad. I seem to remember that one was gray (same color as the 14-50 plug) and I don't remember that configuration of holes but it's been quite a while and I never personally used it. I'll have to take a better look at it next time I visit.

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos and to explain it all. Much appreciated!

The adapter plug has plastic slots for the neutral prong of the 14-50 plug to slip into, but there are no metallic connections. The ground prong of the 14-50 plug connects to the ground prong of the 120V plug in either position.

Back