The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Godzzi said:
Latelly I've been running tests with my 2018 Leaf 40. These tests were done to determine real SOH and compare with what LEafspy is reporting. Here it goes:

- Details: 20000km - SOH 91.4%
- Charged to 100% on the dash (leafspy reported 97% and 35.1kwh inside the battery)
- Drove to 0% on the dash for 197km. (leafspy reported 33.1kwh consumed so far + 3.3kwh remaining). Average consumtion on the dash 15.3kwh/100km
- Drove another 10km until turtle mode kicked in (leafspy reported 35.3kwh consumed so far + 1.2kwh remaining.
Good stuff!
I need to do something similar (I put a 40 kWh pack in my Gen1 Leaf), if for no other reason to "smoke out" a weak cell I'm seeing evidence of. I'm also curious how my (old) BMS will affect the reserve in the (new) battery pack.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Any 2018s out there with more than 91% SoH left?

My wife's Leaf
Running +92% SOH

oGnWKEn.jpg

rogersleaf said:
Also... take your readings with SOC fully charged, will likely be closer to 3-4mV spread.
Not necessarily: his 22mV reading was at pretty high SoC (~90%).
I have a "weak" cell with similar behavior: ~20mV at high SoC and ~40mV at low SoC. Not terrible, but definitely "weak". I'm contemplating "draining" the pack (as has been mentioned earlier in this thread) to try and force a balance, but am reluctant to do it in cold weather...and not 100% convinced that it's limiting my range (yet).

Stanton said:
Not necessarily: his 22mV reading was at pretty high SoC (~90%).

I think you are swapping screenshots. My 22mV cell differential is at 67.8% SOC. I typically run my car between 25-75% so a slow 10A 230V charge to full full may actually balance the pack a bit.

I'm reviewing multiple LS screenshots & I have been 15-20mV cell balance going back 2 years. In fact I have a 24mV one back when the car wasn't even a year old & only had 16K mile vs the 44K I have now. But I also have a 5mV one just a month prior and multiple 10mV afterwards so I'm less worried about the current fluctuation.

I have several 5-7mV screen shots when the car was new to 6 months old.

I also don't notice a substantial reduction in range yet either.

jmurtagh13 said:
ylWtz3xh.png

Almost 4 years old (32K miles) SOH down almost 11% Not Bad. Last 12 months lost just .41% Last 2 years 2.6%

Love this chart and graph. does Leaf Spy do this for you or are you plugging info into something else?

Quick follow up regarding my 'cell imbalance'; the other day I left my car charging longer than intended & reached 97% SOC indicated because I am going to do a balancing charge when I can plan a long enough trip to consume enough to be able to park at less than my desired 75%. Even without a full balancing session I am pleased with how my pack is reporting considering the age, milegae & prior generations of pack degradation:

ucqzfwg.jpg

bcwwpnN.jpg

My wife's 2018 Leaf finally broke the 92% SOH barrier after 4 years (this month is the birthday for the it, if that was a thing :lol: )

jOOrodL.jpg

I haven't updated since Jan 11th. Looks like I must have had an "adjustment" sometime the last week or two, and I (think) I am perilously close to loosing my first battery bar.

For REF on Mar 1st I was at at SOH 87.40

Yesterday:

SOH: 86.00
AmpHr: 99.28
Hx: 94.64
Miles: 13577

Back