No Heat - brrrr

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
One thing to keep in mind -- Eco mode reduces that to 3kW.
I wonder if it has changed in the Gen 2? I noticed on mine when running LeafSpy, I always have Eco mode on and I've seen the heater easily reach 4.5 kW on it's own (not the heatpump) when it's cold outside. Has anyone else noticed this, I believe the OP is driving a 2022 S also. I don't know if being an S trim makes any difference if the electrical heating element is running at less power or not?

I made a of video of the behavior of mine when running Eco-mode. Granted, I was only running it when an outside temperature of 32F, so not near as cold as the OP, but I was still able to get more than +4 kW of heater power going between the heat pump and electrical heating in Eco-mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQFS3WQErNI

knightmb said:
Nubo said:
One thing to keep in mind -- Eco mode reduces that to 3kW.
I wonder if it has changed in the Gen 2? I noticed on mine when running LeafSpy, I always have Eco mode on and I've seen the heater easily reach 4.5 kW on it's own (not the heatpump) when it's cold outside. Has anyone else noticed this, I believe the OP is driving a 2022 S also. I don't know if being an S trim makes any difference if the electrical heating element is running at less power or not?

I made a of video of the behavior of mine when running Eco-mode. Granted, I was only running it when an outside temperature of 32F, so not near as cold as the OP, but I was still able to get more than +4 kW of heater power going between the heat pump and electrical heating in Eco-mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQFS3WQErNI

Quite possible they altered the behavior. I've got to keep in mind that my 2015 LEAF knowledge is becoming antiquated. :lol:

Update. My 2022 SV+ has done the same no heating problem. Even with pictures or video the dealer don't trust nor saw the trouble in one week. They are so dumb they let the car in their garage even if I stated that the trouble occurs only when colder than -15 celsius...

Luckily when I got there yesterday to take back the car it was outside and -25.

I start it and got zero heating when driving around. So no defrost on windshield and side glasses, and its not funny to drive a car without heating at these temperature.

I got back to car to the dealer and finally the only non ice tech could witness it.

They open a case and I have a Sentra courtesy until they find out the trouble.

My opinion is that the resistive heater is broke or mis installed. The heat pump works good until around -15. The car has 5000km.

I'm really pissed off why the treatment of the dealer. Like I have nothing else to do than drive 1.5h to it for a false problem....

I asked them also to fix the center rear seatblet who is acting like there is always someone and beeps everytime unless buckled. Done.

I asked to deactivate the annoying auto door lock. I don't want to press park each time to unload a kid. They said they can't do it?! - why?? I'll plug the leaf spy in and check myself.

Also, does anyone here don't like the new headlights? They are so dim it's like a step back from the previous gen sl ones.

Thx!

Seb

Update. My 2022 SV+ has done the same no heating problem. Even with pictures or video the dealer don't trust nor saw the trouble in one week. They are so dumb they let the car in their garage even if I stated that the trouble occurs only when colder than -15 celsius...

Luckily when I got there yesterday to take back the car it was outside and -25.

I start it and got zero heating when driving around. So no defrost on windshield and side glasses, and its not funny to drive a car without heating at these temperature.

I got back to car to the dealer and finally the only non ice tech could witness it.

They open a case and I have a Sentra courtesy until they find out the trouble.

My opinion is that the resistive heater is broke or mis installed. The heat pump works good until around -15. The car has 5000km.

I'm really pissed off why the treatment of the dealer. Like I have nothing else to do than drive 1.5h to it for a false problem....

I asked them also to fix the center rear seatblet who is acting like there is always someone and beeps everytime unless buckled. Done.

I asked to deactivate the annoying auto door lock. I don't want to press park each time to unload a kid. They said they can't do it?! - why?? I'll plug the leaf spy in and check myself.

Also, does anyone here don't like the new headlights? They are so dim it's like a step back from the previous gen sl ones.

Thx!

Seb

Nubo said:
Quite possible they altered the behavior. I've got to keep in mind that my 2015 LEAF knowledge is becoming antiquated. :lol:
Now that it has been cold enough in my area, I've noticed that the heat-pump functions in heat mode just like it does in cooling mode. Basically, no matter the Eco setting, will run at only 1,500 watts max or less when not moving (doesn't affect the PTC heater power usage though I noticed). When the Leaf is moving above +15 mph, the heat pump kicks into high mode (more power) to extract or move more heat (for AC mode or Heat mode). I was able to see the climate control use the full 6 kW of power yesterday when temperatures were 14F outside in the morning. I started up Leaf and drove off immediately without waiting for any warm up. :lol:
Using LeafSpy, I could see that the heatpump was using 3 kW and the PTC was using 3 kW. It also kicks those radiator fans into high mode, so when you are coming to a stop, you can hear the fans until you drop below 15 mph and the heatpump goes back down to "normal" mode I suppose you could call it that. :?
I did recently clear (as in wash out) out my radiator vents from a previous snow storm, so I'm guessing that is why the heatpump was still able to run at those low temperatures and extract heat without having to switch to pure electric mode. ;)

I did recently clear (as in wash out) out my radiator vents from a previous snow storm, so I'm guessing that is why the heatpump was still able to run at those low temperatures and extract heat without having to switch to pure electric mode.

It will extract some heat down into the single digits. It isn't usually noticeable below 15F or so. I do wonder if the humidity is the variable. Was the air relatively (for that temp) moist? Moist air carries more heat than dry air, or at least I assume that it does. I've also noticed, with my now inoperative mini-split, that having a wind blowing through the coils lowers the temp at which heat is extracted...

LeftieBiker said:
I did recently clear (as in wash out) out my radiator vents from a previous snow storm, so I'm guessing that is why the heatpump was still able to run at those low temperatures and extract heat without having to switch to pure electric mode.

It will extract some heat down into the single digits. It isn't usually noticeable below 15F or so. I do wonder if the humidity is the variable. Was the air relatively (for that temp) moist? Moist air carries more heat than dry air, or at least I assume that it does. I've also noticed, with my now inoperative mini-split, that having a wind blowing through the coils lowers the temp at which heat is extracted...

I've had my heat-pump shut down when the outside temperate was only 30F. I can always tell because all of sudden, the entire front of the Leaf is quiet and LeafSpy only shows PTC power being used. When I looked through the front grille, the radiator was completely iced over, so no air flow. I figured it was clogged up, so that's why I washed it out when the temperatures were finally well above freezing recently. That makes sense though, it was working just fine at temperatures it would normally shutoff in for me, so I chalked it up to clogged radiator. Never thought about the humidity part, but that makes sense now as the humidity was very low, dry yesterday. It had no problems running at max during that time.

Interesting! So pardon my ignorance but how do you clean it up? I opened the hood but it turns out the radiator is further up front, hidden by the whole front bumper assembly. Is there a panel to detach or something?

illidotane said:
Interesting! So pardon my ignorance but how do you clean it up? I opened the hood but it turns out the radiator is further up front, hidden by the whole front bumper assembly. Is there a panel to detach or something?

Pressure washer (on the lowest setting using the wand pattern) through the front grille holes. You can see it with a flash light or direct sunlight during the day. Not the perfect solution as there are better ways (and chemicals designed specifically for this), but in a pinch (like after a recent ice or snow term), it's good enough to clean out the road debris (salt and dirt) they flies in there from cars ahead of you.

Back