Mobile operators to shut down 3G networks in 2022

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like there's a lot of interest in OVMS, so I'll summarize what I did:
  • purchase OVMS hardware at https://www.openvehicles.com/buy (don't forget the cable and antenna). FastTech shipping is very slow, but the $ savings over Medlock is worth it! Note: I bought the "WiFi only" version for now.
  • remove/disconnect current TCU (plenty of threads on this)
  • install the OVMS app (iOS or Android)

The Nissan Leaf support is summarized at https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html
Note: you can purchase a SIM card when you get a 4G modem (they have to release it first).
It cost me ~$100 plus 3-4 hours of time, but now I have something even better than CarWings/NissanConnect (with a modem upgrade path)!

Any reason that the newer TCU part 283B0-3NF2B wouldn’t be compatible in the 2011-2012 models? Would that solve the 4G issue for those models? Has anyone tried this yet?

Bill238 said:
Any reason that the newer TCU part 283B0-3NF2B wouldn’t be compatible in the 2011-2012 models? Would that solve the 4G issue for those models? Has anyone tried this yet?

From what I remember, someone did try using the TCU from a Gen 2 (2018 - present) and it wasn't as plug and play as one would hope, it didn't work and I think it was a dealership that was trying to do this...

Have they shut off the 2011-2017 LEAF Carwings 3G service a month early? My app stopped working on January 22nd 2022 instead of February 22nd as indicated in the letter I received from Nissan...Anybody elses' Carwings stopped working prematurely?

The 3G network in general seems to have gotten Spotty over the last few months. They are probably not maintaining it well. The NC servers were acting up yesterday, and may still be glitching.

I'm surprised that this (3G ending) is getting so little coverage. Is social media buzzing over it? After 4+ years of happy enough service, I've had to get a new smart phone. Millions of phones now have to be junked again, despite being functional. All so the much-hyped 5G service can put a cell tower every few blocks and to make air travel even Dicier...

I can't speak to social media buzz about it but it's be covered plenty in tech news. I suspect most smartphone users won't be affected by it unless they're using an ancient phone on its last legs.

Hey, my Stylo 2 has barely a grey hair! I'm pretty Irked that the new phones have non-replaceable batteries, too. I guess that's how they "solved" the problem of regular obsolescence - by replacing it with what Nader called "Planned Obsolescence.

LeftieBiker said:
Hey, my Stylo 2 has barely a grey hair! I'm pretty Irked that the new phones have non-replaceable batteries, too. I guess that's how they "solved" the problem of regular obsolescence - by replacing it with what Nader called "Planned Obsolescence.

I've replaced batteries in iphones. What has obsoleted them has been end of software support. Specifically, security updates. That being said, I'm only on my 3rd ever iPhone, starting with 3Gs. Fairly good service life considering the rate of change in smartphones over that time.

Bill238 said:
We don't want to spread any FUD on this: all Gen1 Leafs will lose TCU/EVConnect connectivity when the AT&T network shuts down 2/22/2022. The good news is the OVMS solution works in all Gen1 Leafs (with some minor exceptions for the 206-2017 MY), and the 4G modem is now available.
See my OVMS thread at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32715

Back