Battery Pairing - Testers wanted

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dala said:
I think this forum needs a sticked wiki that explains what is possible with Leafspy and what's not. Example something like this?

I've duplicated your post into a new sticky post in the LEAF CANBus subforum.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=32819

If you think it should be in a different subforum, just let me know. Dala, you can edit it since it's a post owned by you.

jstroud48 said:
to do the battery upgrade for a 2012 leaf to the 62kwh battery, is there anything else i need to do besides the can-bridge and b-24 cable adapter?

Yes, including but not limited to mounting adapters to support the slightly larger pack.

jstroud48 said:
to do the battery upgrade for a 2012 leaf to the 62kwh battery, is there anything else i need to do besides the can-bridge and b-24 cable adapter?

For the older car, will need to plug (cap and isolate) the PTC heater output terminals on the 62kwhr battery, and still complete the HVIL loop terminals in the connector on the battery. Get a 2014+ heater cable end, remove the big terminals from it, leaving the small HVIL loop wires & terminals, and epoxy over the big terminal holes.

Mechanically, the bigger battery is 40mm deeper, with the side and rear mounting points that much lower. (1 1/2" square tubing for spacers along the sides), and the holes are a different pattern. Here are pictures showing how to do the mounting changes mostly. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tcVLm3SHCtozeLSa6

Daklein said:
Here are pictures showing how to do the mounting changes mostly. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tcVLm3SHCtozeLSa6

Thanks for all those pictures. Helps with quite a few of the questions I have.

One question on the battery covers - I take it you used your originals? Would the covers from a Plus have fit any better?

mwalsh said:
question on the battery covers - I take it you used your originals? Would the covers from a Plus have fit any better?
Sure, if you have covers from a 62, then use them. I used the original covers, some of the push pin and bolt holes in same locations, others are not, just make holes in the covers to match the new battery. I used some coroplast and other bits to close off the edges out the body pinch weld, which I think is better coverage for the edge of the battery than the 62 covers have. To me, it looks like the 62 covers would go around the edge of the 62 battery better than the 24/30/40 covers would, but either would be all open from the rocker panel pinch weld up over the edge of the battery, there would be lots of road salt & spray going up there. The leading edge front panel was a little tricky, to get it to bend over my crossbar in front of the battery front. Some of it did break away and I replaced with more coroplast. In the winter here, it does whack ice chunks that would otherwise be hitting the leading edge of the battery, so I would recommend some kind of beam there.

Back